Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating my Own Website, What do I need to do?

• 17-11-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

OK, I want to create my own website, won't go into the details of what will be on it. Have it developed but what do I need to do to actually get it online?

Also, anyone here have their own web design companies? Or anyone designing websites for a living? How much would someone charge to design a website?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

It depends on the back end needed? and what the site involves.

The basics you need are hosting and domain.

domains range from €5-€200+

Site design:
    how much art work is required?
    how many pages?
    Dynamic content?
    email?
    file upload?
    how much custom functionality will there be?

Hosting cost considerations(things that play a factor in the cost):
    is it basic html/css?

is it jsp? asp? php?

is there a database?

is there an email server required?

What type of traffic do you expect?

all these things factor in.

Hosting is where the above comes into play, the more you require from your hosting the more you'll pay. you may need a dedicated server(VPS) you may just need basic hosting space.

more info is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

would be php with css.
    no database needed, not for this one anyway.
    no email server. very little traffic.

i'm just wanna get a site i designed online for my portfolio.

Depended on file size you should get that up for under €100 total.

Have a look at a place like blacknight hosting. They do package deals that may suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

thanks chris, do u do web design for a living?

A dot com domain should cost about a tenner and shared hosting will cost about €50 per annum, give or take. My personal preference is to host with a reputable firm in Ireland for the support benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you just want to get your contact details online then grab a .tel domain

Take a look at http://blacknight.tel or http://puddleducks.tel for examples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

All you need is a domain name, hosting account, and website to get your website online. Alot of companies, even freelancer's can help you with this. All charges are different.

For a website designed.....you will need to do an examination of those people's websites and make sure it's design well, error free and accessibile. If those people's websites do not follow the w3c guidelines then it is more likely that the same thing will apply to your website.

my mistake....you want to create your own website. Then you should follow the w3c guidelines.

Macca07 wrote: »
    thanks chris, do u do web design for a living?

No, I do Software Development. I do a lot of heavy Back end server work though so web development comes with the territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Macca07 wrote: »
    i'm just wanna get a site i designed online for my portfolio.
    What is your portfolio of? There's lot of really good portfolio services these days that are simple to update and have great templates. I'd recommend trying out one of those and seeing how you get on. They're much cheaper than getting a whole custom website designed just for you. May people won't get the value from that unless they're providing professional services like photography or illustration.

Check out these two. They both come with my personal recommendation.
    http://cargocollective.com
    http://www.krop.com/creativedatabase/

If at some point in the future you do want to invest in a professional, custom site design, drop me a mail, details in my profile.

• Advertisement

HandWS LTD wrote: »
    my mistake....you want to create your own website. Then you should follow the w3c guidelines.

Following the W3C guidelines doesn't mean that the site will be attractive though

W3C just refers to the "validity" of the underlying markup and has nothing to do with aesthetics

Blacknight wrote: »
    Following the W3C guidelines doesn't mean that the site will be attractive though

?? What has the attractiveness of a design got to do with W3C??:confused: Nothing !! But it will be attractive for the site.

It will make your website valid, good for seo, and a more attractive site for your visitors. Also, making it accessible will allow people with disabilities to find their way around your website more easily. Therefore, it will attract more customers for you.

?? What has the attractiveness of a design got to do with W3C??:confused: Nothing !! But it will be attractive for the site.
    That sentence doesn't make any sense
    It will make your website valid, good for seo, and a more attractive site for your visitors.

Um, no it won't

Attractive equates with design and aesthetics
    A site (or page) that validates can still be ugly

Also, making it accessible will allow people with disabilities to find their way around your website more easily. Therefore, it will attract more customers for you.
    Again - no it won't

Accessibility has a lot to do with design, usability etc., It has very little to do with making a site's markup compliant with W3C standards for HTML or XHTML

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

In fairness, he said the W3C Guidelines, not just that the markup is valid, though obviously the aesthetic part is subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

eoin wrote: »
    the aesthetic part is subjective.

No it's not, this really gets me. Good design is not subjective, good design is based on proven methods, grids, hierarchy & user phycology among other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    No it's not, this really gets me. Good design is not subjective, good design is based on proven methods, grids, hierarchy & user phycology among other things.

That doesn't mean everyone will find the design attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Pixelcraft wrote: »

I have to use algae in web design now?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

haha i deserved that!

Advertisement