Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting suckler cows back in calf indoors

• 17-11-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    know there's someone here who might have the answer to my problem, i'm new to suckler farming, have 3 cows, no bull so i'm using AI, the only problem is with all the bad weather i had to move them in and they're not coming bulling, is there something i can give them like sheep to bring this on?
    when they were outside i noticed them alright and got 1 back in calf.
    and if so is it successful? thanks v much for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

an injection called Estrumate should work. Ask your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

http://www.bovine-elite.com/easibreed.asp

Look at this, then talk to your vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

Like yourself i have just a couple of cows and also like to get A.I. for my girls. Over the last couple of years I have used Estrumate and got them Coiled also to varying degrees of success. But it is Tail Painting i find the Best and And Cheapest way of them all.:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

tail painting is good but keep it fresh, not too difficult indoors. Also keep them on a high plane of nutrition til they come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

thank you all for taking the time to reply, i 'll go with the tail paint & estrumate & see how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I've found "checkmate" patches to be especially good. They're a self adhesive patch that you stick on their tailhead. I found them better than tail paint, in that when the bubble is red you know they've been mounted and are in standing heat.

Maybe it's just me but unless you can see the rubbed off paint on the animal that mounted them or it's it's been all rubbed off, it's very subjective.

The problem also with only having a few cows is that the first few will be noticed quickly because all cows will want to mount them, but as you get more and more cows in calf, those in calf don't want to bother with the other cows that aren't yet in calf. A strong weanling is what you want as well as heat detection before you go down the injection and estrumate route as it has it's side effects as your vet will make you aware of.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

where did you pick up those patches muckit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I had to do alot of searching down my way as the majority of lads use tail paint. I think that's grand for the diaryman that can touch them up when they are in the parlour, but not so practical for the suckler lad, even if they are indoors its extra hassle and stress on cows puttin them up a chute.

I eventually located some in my local connachtgold creamery. They are €50 for 20 patches I think (I could have bought them singly aswel). When they're inside there is less chance of a false detection as they can't rub themselves off anything. If they're out the field and near hedges they reckon they mightn't be so successful, but I couldn't praise the things enough.

Heat the patch in a small container of hot water, peel off the backing stripe and stick them on with the small arrow facing forward. The cow has to be mounted for a minimum of 3 secs or they won't turn red so it rules out play acting and false heats.

A young weanling bull was my main man to trigger them off. Enough to do the job, but small enough that he couldn't physically get them in calf. The patches stand out a mile when triggered, ring the ai man and bobs your uncle ;) If still no detection, I'd get 3ml estrumate off the vet and then wait 4 -5 days for scenes of heat, but it's playing around with their natural cycle so isn't recommended unless really necessary. Alot of lads will tell you tha tcows don't keep aswel when ai'd either with it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sheafield

found "heatseeker" product even better than checkmate as don't need the bucket of water! just peel off backing and apply. :) should be available in local co op too.

sound like good products
    i see these farmrite lads sell checkmate and this kamar product which looks similar, not sure what they charge for shipping but seems like connaght gold making a few quid for themselves selling them at 50 quid
    http://www.farmrite.co.uk/product.php?p=747742111259

• Advertisement

I use Kamars and am very happy with the results from them. The downside is you need adhesive to get them on, but they work a treat.

was looking up the kamar website and they have a self adhesive ver now also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

I use Kamars and am very happy with the results from them. The downside is you need adhesive to get them on, but they work a treat.

Question. Do you find they work with jus cows alone in the pen, or do you use a vesecomised bull or something to help?

R1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I use a chin ball harness on a bullock.
    I bought it on-line from the states at a fraction of the cost here in Dairygold (they are a rip-off for most things anyway - even if guality is always good).

This is the site.
    http://www.allivet.com/The-Kow-Ball-Chin-Ball-Marker-p/50027.htm

I got the paint from dairygold. There is generally hassle with sending liquids oversees.

It worked a treat for me. The bullock I had was a lively fella with a bit of height. No doubt when they came in heat as they would be destroyed with paint. It washes off within a week or so, so it is well gone if there is a repeat heat. Next year I'm thinking of vasectomising one of my own young bulls but that is expensive too.

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Question. Do you find they work with jus cows alone in the pen, or do you use a vesecomised bull or something to help?

R1

This will be my first year using them on cows indoors (have used them on cows outdoors for a few years) and I'll be depending on the cows alone to activate them. Separating the calves from the cows during the day will also help them to show heat.

Advertisement