Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Top Gear

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The problem with Fifth Gear was that they gradually started trying to be more like (new) Top Gear. If you look at later episodes they started doing more "challenges", destroying cars for the laugh, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

For anyone still interested that new pogram is on 3e tonight at 7pm.
    It's now changed it's name from Accelerate to Xcelerate!

Way to go TV3/3e, change the name to something more like short txting language and capture the young, hip, trendy market - not!
    Alarm bells going off in my head after I saw that, although they might be less preachy than RTE would manage I reckon.

Will give it a shot tonight, but as they say you only get one change to make a first impression. Unless it really hits the mark first time out I'll be giving it a wide berth afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

blueband wrote: »
    For anyone still interested that new pogram is on 3e tonight at 7pm.
    It's now changed it's name from Accelerate to Xcelerate!

Way to go TV3/3e, change the name to something more like short txting language and capture the young, hip, trendy market - not!
    Alarm bells going off in my head after I saw that, although they might be less preachy than RTE would manage I reckon.

Will give it a shot tonight, but as they say you only get one change to make a first impression. Unless it really hits the mark first time out I'll be giving it a wide berth afterwards.

Just caught the end of this, seemed fairly sh1te if i'm honest, the bit i saw, it was just d fella on a motorbike racing the girl(Who is very fit!:)) in an S4, on a track of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Poor stuff. Race me backside. The s4 seemed to be doing around 30 mph when the motorbike passes it doing around 35. The whole programme is a bit cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Another TV3 crap fest, a fake tanned dollybird who knows nothing about cars and cant drive at speed versus a journalist. Total rubbish. S4 versus motorbike - what a great comparison, next week a bmw x1 versus a bottle of sprite zero, the cars of samantha mumba, economy run from donnybrook fair to rollys bistro, DART versus ford KA, Anything round mondello......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

In fairness its just good to see someone having a go at an "home" motoring programme...problem is that everyone compares it to the brit ones where there seems to be huge budgets and access to any car...I'm sure if you were to go back in time to the first episode of TG it'd be comical by todays standards (and content)...TBH i dont watch TG anymore , got really tired of the ego's on there AND all that crap they go on with ..99% of the cars they "test" are unaffordable (to me) ..and i dont see how driving a car sideways around a circuit is comparable to everyday situations ..unless you're Jensen Button...its a yawnfest for me now....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

watched that xccelerate last night...not great

I can't see them slating any cars to be honest for fear they might not get the chance to drive any others...in fairness, the guy loved that BMW GT. It's one awful looking hideous beast.

And when he said he expected the Fiat 500 Abarth to be a terrible drive, can't see why he would have expected that as it got great reviews up to now.

I wonder how many times over the whole show will she say "Now that's the bit that interests me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

iMotors doesn't even work. I tried it on 4 computers and the thing doesn't load properly. It takes ages to load up then it breaks down all the time. eDrive from the Drive (www.drivemagazine.ie) stable works and looks pretty good. They could do with more videos on it though.

Works fine on my MacBook Pro with Firefox...

As for an Iris car show, at least someone is trying. The problem is that anyone who tries to be Top Gear will just fail miserably and seem even more sad for the attempt while honest to good ness car review shows are a little dull...even if they are informative. Can't please all of the people all of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Is there anywhere to watch this?missed it last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 54321

i've been a huge fan of the normal car shows. I just love looking at reviews of all cars no matter how big or small. Its just i think things have moved on media wise. Now i can watch a great objective video on WhatCar of whatever cars i want. I'm not much of a fan of the new top gear. Don't care about celebrities and the ultra expensive cars aren't more interesting than the more normal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Terrible show. Lost interest after the first 10 minutes. Cheap show but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Even if she didn't know too much about cars at least the girl could present properly & not bad to look at. The guy was terrible especially reviewing that hideous BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Anyone know when this is repeated? Only caught the last 5 minutes so eager to see how awful the rest of it is?

This kinda begs the question, is it possible to make a car show we'll like on a budget?:P

Is this one really worse than carfile a few years ago:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

mondeo wrote: »

The best car they ever reviewed was an Mr2 with 120hp, sarah the racing driver whatever her name was kept referring to it as the best thing since sliced bread. Surprised she could fit in it, she must have been 6ft6 built like a man. Such an oddball collection of characters on that show.

Well she managed to fit into Barrichello's old Jordan when she was racing formula BOSS and a McLaren for a test a few years back.
    She needed quite a lot of upper body strength back then for driving race cars but if you ever met her I doubt you'd compare her to a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Giller123

Fitzgeme - are you that uneducated that you feel the need to personally attack someone? Fair enough if you thought the show was rubbish, but to personally have a go at someone, quite pathetic really isnt it. Ignorance is bliss.
    The show will never reach the limits that top gear has achieved and will always be compared to it but they are giving it a go and fair do's to the two of them taking on the challenge, cant be easy knowing that there are idiots out there who have nothing better to do then slate them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Zonda999 wrote: »
    This kinda begs the question, is it possible to make a car show we'll like on a budget?:P

Is this one really worse than carfile a few years ago:D
    With Irish TV stations highly dependant on advertising they cannot afford to shoot themselves in the foot by saying that such and such a car is absolutely crap. Therefore most reviews will not be negative unless the car is absolutely dire!
    Giller123 wrote: »
    Fitzgeme - are you that uneducated that you feel the need to personally attack someone? Fair enough if you thought the show was rubbish, but to personally have a go at someone, quite pathetic really isnt it. Ignorance is bliss.
    The show will never reach the limits that top gear has achieved and will always be compared to it but they are giving it a go and fair do's to the two of them taking on the challenge, cant be easy knowing that there are idiots out there who have nothing better to do then slate them.
    Fitzgeme made a point about the presenter which you didn't like and then you went on to call their actions pathetic and also to call them an idiot - did you ever hear that you should practice what you preach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Giller123

kbannon wrote: »
    With Irish TV stations highly dependant on advertising they cannot afford to shoot themselves in the foot by saying that such and such a car is absolutely crap. Therefore most reviews will not be negative unless the car is absolutely dire!
    Fitzgeme made a point about the presenter which you didn't like and then you went on to call their actions pathetic and also to call them an idiot - did you ever hear that you should practice what you preach?

Fair point but it is pathetic and uneducated that people like feel that they have the right to go and attack and judge someone and yes, I suppose that's exactly what I did so I will leave it at that before I go off on a rant again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its all Relative?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Giller123 You're at it again - in theory you sould be banned (one post under your belt and thats effectively an insult) but thankfully I'm in a very good mood this morning!
    In future let the mods moderate a forum. If you have an issue with a post then click the report post button: report.gif
    Now lets move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm sorry to hear Fifth Gear is gone. I only got my Sat box installed in the last 6 months and was really getting into that show. Reminded me of TG in the old days.

Drive wasn't great but it was OK for a home produced show. The advertising revenue is what kills us here. In my opinion to most completely harmless show of all was the TG4 show a year or two ago. Very pointless reviews.

Top Gear used to be great when they had the older format. I liked Quentin Wilson and Tiff Needel and, back in those days, because you got only a few minutes of Clarkson, he was genuinely funny and something you could look forward to as a bit of a diversion. Now listening to him for a whole hour is just annoying. I used to have a lot fo time for James May when he wrote for Car magazine but now he's just turned into a muppet like the other two. I have been losing interest in TG over the past while but last night's 'challenge' involving the electric car was utter pants! They came across as 3 idiots who were a nuisance to the public and a danger to other road users. I'm sure all this is cleared by the police beforehand but, really, if I want to see people acting like children, I'll have children.

If this is all we've left now because Fifth Gear is gone, then it's a huge pity. I want the new Irish show to do well but I've a feeling it won't match Fifth Gear's standards.

It's hard to make a decent informative motoring program. The only other show I've watched is the Used Car Roadshow on 5 which is quite interesting but a bit kitsch at the same time but it really isn't a bad effort all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Zonda999 wrote: »

How hard could it be? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement