Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7mb Broadband: Balbriggan Exchange

• 17-11-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when this will be available? I really thought we would have it by now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Available for sometime now ...
    Was on 7Mb with BT, just moved to Voda

625500569.png

Got problems ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

great, I've also just moved to Vodafone from BT. I'll give them a call in the morning.

just after being on to Vodafone, they said my line is only capable of 3.07mb. Very strange. I thought if one line can get 7mb on the exchange, all lines should be able to get it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

God No .

DSL speeds drop like a stone at distance

right then that would make sense as I am actually in Balrothery (about 2 miles from the exchange)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Call uPC :-)
    Their web site lists Broadband available in Balrothery ... you never know ...

If UPC BB is available there I would be amazed...do tell us if they are.

They would have no problem doing 10mbits or 6mbits IF so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭furiousox

dubmick wrote: »
    just after being on to Vodafone, they said my line is only capable of 3.07mb. Very strange. I thought if one line can get 7mb on the exchange, all lines should be able to get it?

Depends on the age and quality of your line, ie what condition the copper wire is in.

CPL 593H

No difference at 2 miles, you simply won't get 7mbits out there.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No difference at 2 miles, you simply won't get 7mbits out there.

ever? Our estate is about 4 years old. My 3 mb connection is quality. i.e. always get download speeds of 300+ kb's per second.

• Advertisement

3mbits at 2 miles/3.5km is fine, 7.5mbit DSL simply does not work at 3.5km anywhere althoughh you could get a stable 5mbits if it were available .

Nice colour picture to explain matters .

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

thanks SpongeBob, so am I stuck on 3mb even if the exchange was upgraded? ie. to 24mb

Yep.

The only big speed bump you will get is if eircom install a new exchange nearer you ( a 2m x 2m 'exchange in a box' called a Street Cab colloquially ) as they often do in fast groing residential areas .....and when pressured hard . These are 24mbit capable if newly installed .

Interestingly they already did so in Balbriggan , out in Courtlough Business Park if that is any help :D

Yep.

The only big speed bump you will get is if eircom install a new exchange nearer you ( a 2m x 2m 'exchange in a box' called a Street Cab colloquially ) as they often do in fast groing residential areas .....and when pressured hard . These are 24mbit capable if newly installed .

Interestingly they already did so in Balbriggan , out in Courtlough Business Park if that is any help :D

that is about 700 metres from my house!

Now if you and the neighbours could organise a meeting with eircom to hassle them seriously they might plug you in and then you may get 24mbits with the blessings of the Sponge himself and all seeing as ye are not arguing against the fundamental laws of physics at 300 metres :D

A petition thing and also ask if people are prepared to lose the old number and take one off the new exchange instead ( 01862 numbers ?? ) because that makes matters much simpler . It is more complex if they insist in keeping their old numbers but these can be ported to Blueface and used as VoIP numbers over BB .

HTH .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

Now if you and the neighbours could organise a meeting with eircom to hassle them seriously they might plug you in and then you may get 24mbits with the blessings of the Sponge himself and all seeing as ye are not arguing against the fundamental laws of physics at 300 metres :D

A petition thing and also ask if people are prepared to lose the old number and take one off the new exchange instead ( 01862 numbers ?? ) because that makes matters much simpler . It is more complex if they insist in keeping their old numbers but these can be ported to Blueface and used as VoIP numbers over BB .

HTH .

Hi we are up in Balrothery and we are far from both exchanges how would we go about such a thing I know everyone up here wants faster net

Advertisement