Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming rig, advice?

Options
  • 17-11-2009 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have recently come into a bit of money so I am looking to get a new pc. I will be using the pc for very heavy gaming, HD video, some CAD and want it to last me a good few years. Am I better off buying something like an Alienware machine or building myself? I need to get everything eg. screen keyboard drives. I am concerned basically on performance and not on budget as I will be using the PC for a lot of work also. Oh and one last thing I would like is a high quality surround sound system as I will be using it for movies. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Budget? Any prerequisites for the system? (i.e. using Photoshop, must be a 1080p monitor, must be a gaming keyboard, needs to fit into x space, I really want y for SnG...) And yes, self-build is vastly superior to pre-built gaming rigs; you can tailor the build to your own whims specifications and it invariably ends up a helluva lot cheaper! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭RD77

Okay 1080p screen is important, gaming keyboard and mouse too. Was looking at logitech ones are they any use? As for budget there isn't really one as I hope it will last me years and it is very important for my job. Ideally I would like a machine that could handle anything if you get me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Here's my suggestion, its based on build Im working on at moment.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, X58 - Socket-1366
    Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920 D0
    Prolimatech Megahalems Mega Shadow CPU Heatsink
    Yate Loon D12SH-12 120mm 2200RPM Fan x2
    Corsair HX 850W PSU - ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus Gold, Modular
    Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB
    Corsair SSD Extreme X64 2,5" 64GB
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA2 - 32MB 7200RPM
    ATI 5870
    Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223B
    Asus Xonar Essence ST Soundcard
    Logitech Z5500 THX Digital speakers
    Samsung 24" LCD P2470HD monitor

Should last you a while :D
    As for the SSD drive make sure to get a 2nd gen for the TWIN boost in Win7

Keyboard+ mouse really is up to the individual imho butI do love my Razor Lachesis :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Venom wrote: »
    Here's my suggestion, its based on build Im working on at moment.

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, X58 - Socket-1366
    Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920 D0
    Prolimatech Megahalems Mega Shadow CPU Heatsink
    Yate Loon D12SH-12 120mm 2200RPM Fan x2
    Corsair HX 850W PSU - ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus Gold, Modular
    Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB
    Corsair SSD Extreme X64 2,5" 64GB
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA2 - 32MB 7200RPM
    ATI 5870
    Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223B
    Asus Xonar Essence ST Soundcard
    Logitech Z5500 THX Digital speakers
    Samsung 24" LCD P2470HD monitor

Should last you a while :D
    As for the SSD drive make sure to get a 2nd gen for the TWIN boost in Win7

Keyboard+ mouse really is up to the individual imho butI do love my Razor Lachesis :)

That's a pretty good spec. Get rid of the Megahalem though, there's a new kid on the block :D No need for the fans or paste either, it's all in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Omg a gaming rig? Better stay away from those nasty intels and their P55s and i5's and Great performance!

• Advertisement

Stop being a twit. No question about LGA1366 being the weapon of choice in this skirmish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Do not i repeat DO NOT buy a 5870.

The get two 5850s,

One single 5850 can be overclocked to run better then a 5870, And the money you save from buying the 5870 thats half the money of a second 5850, So two 5850s is the way to go.

Also. I am using

X58-UD5 ( Super mobo)
    Corsair Dom 1600Mhz ( Super ram - I am running 7-7-7-20 (Dom GT speeds)

However i would get a OCZ vertex SSD and try get a 128 GB one they are faster then the 60GB. ( leninbenjamin ment TIM command and its not a boost. Its memory/file management, Its a must)

The PSU is great,

Everything else is personal preference.

AD3298 called, they want their 1600 GIGAHertz Ram back :P

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    AD3298 called, they want their 1600 GIGAHertz Ram back :P

LoL!!! Sorry typo mate :D

1600 Mhz :P

Blazher wrote: »
    Do not i repeat DO NOT buy a 5870.

The get two 5850s,

One single 5850 can be overclocked to run better then a 5870, And the money you save from buying the 5870 thats half the money of a second 5850, So two 5850s is the way to go.

This is not good advice imo. ATI have upped the prices on the 5850 by $50 apparently. Compared with the 5870, they aren't as good value as they were at launch. According to the RRPs at least two 5850s are as expensive as a single 5970, and the 5970 seems just as capable for over-clocking as the 5850.

• Advertisement

Prices will drop after xmas. I'm waiting till then :D

yeah, that's a cert. Although at the rate suppliers are getting in new stock it will be after Xmas anyway before anyone sees any :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Until demand subsides ATI will keep on increasing the price(they will that's economics trust me) So if people just decide on mass to see what Nvidia have to offer then the price of the 58xx might go down, after crimbo. Otherwise we'll just have to wait and see where Nvidia's new cards end up!

Effluo wrote: »
    Until demand subsides ATI will keep on increasing the price(they will that's economics trust me) So if people just decide on mass to see what Nvidia have to offer then the price of the 58xx might go down, after crimbo. Otherwise we'll just have to wait and see where Nvidia's new cards end up!

Not sure. By the sounds of it they are preparing to flood the market just before Christmas (they keep saying they have loads of cypress ready and that the initial supply issue is over with, but they haven't hit suppliers yet afaik). I think once the seasonal demand has peaked they'll probably have to lower prices to keep shifting them. Maybe not as cheap as they were originally, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I think once the seasonal demand has peaked they'll probably have to lower prices to keep shifting them. Maybe not as cheap as they were originally, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't come down.

I dunno...
    right now they seem to have so much time b4 Nvidia get their act together. Shifting the cards will be a since, they might reduce the prices by like a tener, but b4 Nvidia come out with theirs i'd say ATI's prices will remain firm enough

Not sure. By the sounds of it they are preparing to flood the market just before Christmas (they keep saying they have loads of cypress ready and that the initial supply issue is over with, but they haven't hit suppliers yet afaik). I think once the seasonal demand has peaked they'll probably have to lower prices to keep shifting them. Maybe not as cheap as they were originally, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't come down.

They have been playing a very very smart game,

The released a few cards to show people how good they are, Then they hold all the cards. And release them for Xmas. I have been waiting 5 weeks now for my cards. Its a joke. But from what i have seen and been told. No where has had cards since the last batch sold out.

I dunno...
    right now they seem to have so much time b4 Nvidia get their act together. Shifting the cards will be a since, they might reduce the prices by like a tener, but b4 Nvidia come out with theirs i'd say ATI's prices will remain firm enough

The amount of people though who will go out and buy a new card just for the sake of buying a new card are actually quite low though. Seeing as there are very few DX11 games coming out in the near future (are any even going to be any good?) DX11 wont sell the cards. And imo multiple monitors are a luxury many cannot afford (not necessarily for financial reasons either, I know i had to give up my own 2nd monitor due to lack of space), so even though eyefinity looks great, i think it will be confined to a fairly small enthusiasts market, at least for the short term future. So i'm not sure Eyefinity is a major selling point either.

So then factor in the proposed price increases (i.e. 5850 could go to near €300 by the time they reappear in stockists), and look at the 5xxx as opposed to the 4xxx, a lot of people aren't going to be able to justify upgrading.

That's my own personal take anyway, we'll see how it plays out.

Blazher wrote: »
    They have been playing a very very smart game,

The released a few cards to show people how good they are, Then they hold all the cards. And release them for Xmas. I have been waiting 5 weeks now for my cards. Its a joke. But from what i have seen and been told. No where has had cards since the last batch sold out.

ATI are getting screwed by the delay in cards hitting the shelves because as the time frame before the next nVidia cards hit the market decreases, potentional buyers are more likely to wait to see how the next Geforce series turns out. The 5850 was a awesome product at a golden price but delays and now a price rise are killing alot of peoples interest in this card.

Blazher 5850's are in much greater demand than 5870's so getting 2 of them is gonna be pretty hard and when you take into account the rather large price increase we in Europe are gonna end up getting stung with on a 5850 so the extra 50 quid for a 5870 and the better chance of getting one is the reason I suggested it.

Its going to be a good 4 months into 2010 before the next nvidia cards come out, thats a damm long time to be waiting if you want to upgrade.

Venom wrote: »
    ATI are getting screwed by the delay in cards hitting the shelves because as the time frame before the next nVidia cards hit the market decreases, potentional buyers are more likely to wait to see how the next Geforce series turns out.

As you said yourself, it'll be 4 months into 2010 before Fermi hit's the shelves. Some places even think it'll be June before we see the GT300s. Plenty of time for ATI to do as much market manipulation as they want and still put themselves back in the competitive front in time for Fermi.

• Advertisement

Agreed but Nvidia just have to drop hints, the odd picture of a card or some game deal and it will string alot of people on who would of had a 58xx but weren't able to buy one.

Argh! Its Vista-rape all over again, only this time its ATI that are raping away :mad: €280+ for a gaming-grade next-gen/next-OS card... why does "8800GTS" keep popping into my head? :rolleyes:

I definitely sense an air of (profitable) revenge... why did nVidia have to go and make this personal?! :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    Argh! Its Vista-rape all over again, only this time its ATI that are raping away :mad: €280+ for a gaming-grade next-gen/next-OS card... why does "8800GTS" keep popping into my head? :rolleyes:

I definitely sense an air of (profitable) revenge... why did nVidia have to go and make this personal?! :o

Couldn't agree more, You got to remember, The 5970 is out now, And by the time we start to see any GT300s ATI will have the data and room to counter it.

But in the long run its good for us, Price WAR :D

Blaz her wrote: »
    But in the long run its good for us, Price WAR :D

Not necessarily. I think Nvidia are slowly turning their back on the enthusiasts/gamer market. I read an article the other day that mentioned in passing that Nvidia's Tesla sales are picking up big time (apparently they landed major contracts recently with the Australian and/or Chinese Govts.) and that Tesla production has been ramped up at the cost of the GT200s, which is why we haven't seen any price drops (like you would have expected with the launch of the 5xxx). Fermi's efforts seem more about getting more GPGPU generality (i.e. native C++ support) and visual debugging tools (i.e. Visual Studio) to work with it as opposed to all out performance gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

if your looking for a great gaming system and have no budget you can get what i haves:

MoBo: EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI

CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor (i7-940)

RAM: 3GB Cosair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz (I Have 32bit Windows7)

GPU: 2x EVGA Nvidia GTX295 CO-OP Edition (Still have 1, need more cash for the second:P )

Case: Antec 1200 Gaming Case

Cooling: Zalman....Just get Zalman everything (watercool if ya have €€€€)

HD: Velociraptor 10000RPM 320GB (ull need externals too,1.5TB or so)

Screen: LG 24" Wide W2453V-PF Full HD

Keyboard: G19 Gaming Board

Mouse: G15/17/19 Mouse

Speakers: Z-5500 THX 5.1 Logitech

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

if your looking for a great gaming system and have no budget you can get what i haves:

MoBo: EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI

CPU: Intel Core i7 Quad Processor (i7-940)

RAM: 3GB Cosair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz (I Have 32bit Windows7)

GPU: 2x EVGA Nvidia GTX295 CO-OP Edition (Still have 1, need more cash for the second:P )

Case: Antec 1200 Gaming Case

Cooling: Zalman....Just get Zalman everything (watercool if ya have €€€€)

HD: Velociraptor 10000RPM 320GB (ull need externals too,1.5TB or so)

Screen: LG 24" Wide W2453V-PF Full HD

Keyboard: G19 Gaming Board

Mouse: G15/17/19 Mouse

Speakers: Z-5500 THX 5.1 Logitech

question how did you get the board to fit into that case the 4 way sli EVGA X58 Classified needs 10 or more expansion slots on the rear of the case the antec 1200 only has 7 and the psu is in the base of the case so it wont accept the over sized atx boards , i was looking at gettin that board but having trouble gettin a case to fit it into any help greatly appreciated:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

noodletop wrote: »
    question how did you get the board to fit into that case the 4 way sli EVGA X58 Classified needs 10 or more expansion slots on the rear of the case the antec 1200 only has 7 and the psu is in the base of the case so it wont accept the over sized atx boards , i was looking at gettin that board but having trouble gettin a case to fit it into any help greatly appreciated:D

My main issue with that is that it ties you into nV only.

Plus since their current line-up is old, but hasnt gone down in price for a number of reasons, are u really going to buy 4 half year+ old cards at brand new prices :confused:

Not that I see any reason to buy so many gpu's, but then im not one to talk I guess lol :p But at the very least, wait til next year, board will be cheaper and when nV finally puts Fermi out, the GT200's will come down in price

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

swirlser wrote: »

Plus since their current line-up is old, but hasnt gone down in price for a number of reasons, are u really going to buy 4 half year+ old cards at brand new prices :confused:

Not that I see any reason to buy so many gpu's, but then im not one to talk I guess lol :p But at the very least, wait til next year, board will be cheaper and when nV finally puts Fermi out, the GT200's will come down in price

no way was i gettin the 4 cards:eek: i have 2 oc gtx 260's and was going to get a 3rd so to fit sound card into case with 3 cards thats the only board i could think about otherwise i couldnt do 3 way sli and still have the soundcard , bit much but if i could find a way of gettin it to fit into the antec 1200 i might just do it

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

noodletop wrote: »
    no way was i gettin the 4 cards:eek: i have 2 oc gtx 260's and was going to get a 3rd so to fit sound card into case with 3 cards thats the only board i could think about otherwise i couldnt do 3 way sli and still have the soundcard , bit much but if i could find a way of gettin it to fit into the antec 1200 i might just do it

I have an antec 1200, a P6T6 WS Rev mobo and tri-fire 5870's, that board doesnt cost the earth either... even if some people arent fans of Asus ^_^

• Advertisement

swirlser wrote: »

Evga X58 boards do support ATI Crossfire but because EVGA are in Nvidia's pocket they dont mention the fact.

Also the suggestion of MoBo: EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI and Intel Core i7-940 is just a total waste of money due to the insane cost of both board and cpu and unless you plan to use the system for serious 5GHZ+ phase cooling benchmark chasing OCing you wont see any benifet over a i7 920 DO and €250 max mobo.

Zalman used to be the king for cooling but its been a very long time since that was the case as now there products are middle of the road at best. 3GB of ram in a X58 system is silly as 6GB is just the way to do it. Hell roberthurley14 the only thing right in your suggestions are the Z5500 speakers lol

Advertisement