Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming rig, advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Venom wrote: »
    Evga X58 boards do support ATI Crossfire but because EVGA are in Nvidia's pocket they dont mention the fact.

Also the suggestion of MoBo: EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI and Intel Core i7-940 is just a total waste of money due to the insane cost of both board and cpu with unless you use for serious 5GHZ+ phase cooling you wont see any benifet over a i7 920 and €250 max mobo.

Zalman used to be the king for cooling but its been a very long time since that was the case as now there products are middle of the road at best. 3GB of ram in a X58 system is silly as 6GB is just the way to do it. Hell roberthurley14 the only thing right in your suggestions are the Z5500 speakers lol

QFT!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Evga X58 boards do support ATI Crossfire but because EVGA are in Nvidia's pocket they dont mention the fact.

Ah, I was thinking its a lot of money only to lock you into 1 company >_<' Was reading a little while ago someone who I believe was using a classified board flashed it, but perhaps that was to get his mix and match to work - not specifically to allow ATI.

Well i can confirm on a formula III a 5970 and a 8800 GTS work together :D Ill have ot wait till my second card comes back from rma to tri crossfire/physx.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

swirlser wrote: »
    Ah, I was thinking its a lot of money only to lock you into 1 company >_<' Was reading a little while ago someone who I believe was using a classified board flashed it, but perhaps that was to get his mix and match to work - not specifically to allow ATI.

Took me ages sorting though various sites to find out about it and put me right off the company as there gonna hide info about what there products can do what else will would they hinder to keep Nvidia happy. Not to mention how much more expensive the EVGA boards are for such crap results in testing compaired to the likes of Gigabyte and Asus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Anti wrote: »
    Well i can confirm on a formula III a 5970 and a 8800 GTS work together :D Ill have ot wait till my second card comes back from rma to tri crossfire/physx.

What drivers do I need for running 8800GT with my 5870?

• Advertisement

What drivers do I need for running 8800GT with my 5870?

I just followed the guides on XT Vr-zone and http://www.mymobile88.com/enable-activate-physx-run-on-ati-radeon-alternatives-patching-installation-guide-2/ for the patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

noodletop wrote: »
    question how did you get the board to fit into that case the 4 way sli EVGA X58 Classified needs 10 or more expansion slots on the rear of the case the antec 1200 only has 7 and the psu is in the base of the case so it wont accept the over sized atx boards , i was looking at gettin that board but having trouble gettin a case to fit it into any help greatly appreciated:D

One word...."Ingenuiety" i just "edited" the case with the help of a friend and its all fitting nice and tidy...but if you dont want the hassle get an e-atx case such as:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=369755

Also the suggestion of MoBo: EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI and Intel Core i7-940 is just a total waste of money due to the insane cost of both board and cpu and unless you plan to use the system for serious 5GHZ+ phase cooling benchmark chasing OCing you wont see any benifet over a i7 920 DO and €250 max mobo.

Zalman used to be the king for cooling but its been a very long time since that was the case as now there products are middle of the road at best. 3GB of ram in a X58 system is silly as 6GB is just the way to do it. Hell roberthurley14 the only thing right in your suggestions are the Z5500 speakers lol

Firstly i get EVGA cause they have good customer support which some companies just plain dont have! on my old 790i SLI board i had issues with the CMOS and they helped me get it fixed in a hour. And as for the system i need it to do serious PS work for posters etc, BIG ASS POSTERS so need all the GPU power i can get so its worth it. Zalman are still great although to be fair corsair do have some great alternatives these days. and theres no point of me having 6Gigs on a 32-bit win7 OS as it only uses 2.5 anyways so it would be pointless. and yes, the z5500s are awesome, very much recommended, theyre better than most 7.1s in my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you do realise that case has only 7 expansion slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

One word...."Ingenuiety" i just "edited" the case with the help of a friend and its all fitting nice and tidy...but if you dont want the hassle get an e-atx case such as:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=369755

well a pic or something pls as i have the case and want to see how you got it to fit , might try it myself:D

have been looking at a lot of cases and only found one but the price is way too much to go for it

• Advertisement

Clearly that will not do in this day and age. OP i sugest you buy 3 more of this case just to house the hard drives, a gerbil cage and soem shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

this is the case you need for the board mind you it ant the best lookin:rolleyes:

LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Lian-Li-PC-P80B-Black-Full-Tower-Aluminum-Case-w-o-PSU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

wait... what?

noodletop wrote: »
    well a pic or something pls as i have the case and want to see how you got it to fit , might try it myself:D

have been looking at a lot of cases and only found one but the price is way too much to go for it

i would but its all neat and tidyily in a corner with all the wires hidden which took a day to do! GIYF (google is your friend) i found it on a site, dont remember where tho

Advertisement