Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antique service rifles - mauser vs mosin

Options
  • 17-11-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Opinions/advice wanted on which classic service rifle is better:

I am thinking of buying either a Finnish Mosin Nagant M39 or a Chilean Mauser 1895 (in original 7x57mm calibre), each at around 250-300 USD.

My choice is limited to these two because they are built on receivers made before 1899, and where I live (in the US) this makes it easy to buy interstate (they are completely exempt from Federal law in fact).

Any opinions on which is a better rifle - in terms of accuracy, reliability, customizabillity etc ?

The Mosin is Sako WW2 era, seems to be plenty of 7.62 ammo around. The Mauser is the small-ring receiver type, older than the K98, but the original type 7x57mm ammo is still available.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

firefly08 wrote: »
    Opinions/advice wanted on which classic service rifle is better:

I am thinking of buying either a Finnish Mosin Nagant M39 or a Chilean Mauser 1895 (in original 7x57mm calibre), each at around 250-300 USD.

My choice is limited to these two because they are built on receivers made before 1899, and where I live (in the US) this makes it easy to buy interstate (they are completely exempt from Federal law in fact).

Any opinions on which is a better rifle - in terms of accuracy, reliability, customizabillity etc ?

The Mosin is Sako WW2 era, seems to be plenty of 7.62 ammo around. The Mauser is the small-ring receiver type, older than the K98, but the original type 7x57mm ammo is still available.

i heard the sako mosins were supposed to be good , crude as all mosins are but good .

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I'm no expert with these rifles. My father had a Finnish Nagant and thought it was extremely accurate. The 8x57 mauser he has now is not as accurate. I might get the mauser rebarreled to 7-08 as he wants me to have it.
    I would choose the mauser. Huge selection on aftermarket parts.
    The 7x57 is a nice round.
    Alone the bits one can get from Recknagel in Germany is unreal.
    http://www.media2print.de/images/flippingpages/reck01b1/Default.html
    go to page 34-35 to see the selection on triggers.

edi

Advertisement