Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Horror Stories

Options
  • 17-11-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Stroling through the new developments in Tallaght yesterday, the amount of vacant shop units at ground floor level struck me.

Also, the Glass bottle factory in Ringsend - bought for €410m, now thought to be worth €60m.

Any other property horror stories - let's have the worst you know of posted on this - keep the detail short as possible

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

The tallest building in Ireland is mostly vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

the amount of tiny apartments built around the city before building legislation of minimum square foot for a dwelling came in..shoe boxes with insane price tags..joke!
    also some of the architecture we see is hideous..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was there a piece in the IT today and I quote there is more footfall on the moon:D

http://www.chq.ie/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

silverharp wrote: »
    was there a piece in the IT today and I quote there is more footfall on the moon:D

http://www.chq.ie/

I passed that place a few times and walked through it twice. It was always a ghost town an fook all in there of any interest to me at least.

I think it was a terrible location.

Maynooth out by the new Tesco is pretty much empty except for Tesco.

I think places in city centre are doing worse and killing the city centre as they demand still rents that are too high. They need to reduce their rents if they want to get businesses in or keep the ones that are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think the sentinel building in Sandyford deserves a mention.

There are something like $265m in loans outstanding on the development, which has a current valuation of $1m http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0720/breaking62.html?via=mr

the advertising blurb called it "A fitting symbol of the new spirit of Sandyford" when they were trying to sell it. I think it should be left as it is, as a fitting symbol to greed and foolhardy investments.http://www.flickr.com/photos/southofdub/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How about the proposed Anglo-Irish building near the O2?

If anyone doesn't know it, its half finished and sitting idle just like a derelict eyesore. A great example for all the tourists cruising up and down the Liffey to see.

And oh yeh, the U2 tower site is ahem...stalled with no tower for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

thanks to all interestin replies so far - keep em coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

One shopping centre in Athlone is so vacant it dragged down the units around it (the Texas Centre)

I think the old Heineken building off O'Connell St in Dublin is to let, particularly in the upper floors.

27-31 Upper O' Connell street used to be completely vacant back in 2007. However during the last general election they decided to plaster the upper floors with election posters for Bertie's FF running mate Cyprian Brady.

After his successful election it became this...

segaBOY wrote: »
    27-31 Upper O' Connell street used to be completely vacant back in 2007. However during the last general election they decided to plaster the upper floors with election posters for Bertie's FF running mate Cyprian Brady.

After his successful election it became this...

Is that Finlater House, on the corner of O'Connell street and Cathal Brugha street?

If so, it is even worse inside than it is out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is that Finlater House, on the corner of O'Connell street and Cathal Brugha street?

If so, it is even worse inside than it is out.

Looks like it. It was the old Telecom Eireann building. DCC have alot to answer for due to their neglect of O'Connell st over the last 30 yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

over half of Galway is to let... empty retail units with no hope aof anyone ever letting them. I didnt pick the music by the way

similar story in Letterkenny, but on a much smaller scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Section 23 estate built in our rural village, godawful ugly houses too!
    Estate was half-finished and properties on sale for 250,000 in autumn 2008. Not even one sold or if they were sold then certainly nobody lives in there though the houses are ready
    Now the second half of the estate is still a building site and has been boarded up since Spring 2009.

It seems the developer ran out of money. Also people are saying the county council are hassling them to finish the estate and now their bond has been taken.
    I doubt the estate will ever be finished.

Why did they ever decide to build an estate in a rural village? The biggest employer is the local Spar shop! No jobs anywhere so I'm not sure who they thought was going to move in.
    Of course if a local wanted to build a house on a site or on their farmland it'd take years to get permission from the council :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Cool thread, keep it coming, Thanks.

mikemac wrote: »
    Section 23 estate built in our rural village, godawful ugly houses too!
    Estate was half-finished and properties on sale for 250,000 in autumn 2008. Not even one sold or if they were sold then certainly nobody lives in there though the houses are ready
    Now the second half of the estate is still a building site and has been boarded up since Spring 2009.

It seems the developer ran out of money. Also people are saying the county council are hassling them to finish the estate and now their bond has been taken.
    I doubt the estate will ever be finished.

Why did they ever decide to build an estate in a rural village? The biggest employer is the local Spar shop! No jobs anywhere so I'm not sure who they thought was going to move in.
    Of course if a local wanted to build a house on a site or on their farmland it'd take years to get permission from the council :rolleyes:

All too common.

A friend of mine was raised a council house (commonly known as a "terrace") in a village in the south. She married and they bought a site which was less than a mile away from the village and applied for planning.

At the same time there was vacant estates in the local large town.

So what did the council do? They rejected her planning application on the grounds that she was from an "urban" area. A bloody terrace in the village with no more than two shops and a pub is hardly urban-she's as rural as you can get.

All they wanted to do was help flog the empty estate. In the end she bought a cottage that was built well over 50 years ago.

And incase anyone's wondering that estate remained empty until the council agreed to buy the remaining units last year.

gurramok wrote: »
    Looks like it. It was the old Telecom Eireann building. DCC have alot to answer for due to their neglect of O'Connell st over the last 30 yrs.

Eircom were in there up until fairly recently i believe, before they moved them out to Hueston. It is a really horrible 1960's building, it will take some doing to get it looking good again.

There are several office buildings up at carrickmines, the Hyde building and the Herbert building that have remained empty since they were built two or three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

estate in kinlough where the foundations were poured before the banks foreclosed, now a wasteland

millers hill donegal town large hole dug right in the middle of town and left

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Carriglass development outside Longford town was going to a €160 million development with 2 hotels, a Retief Goosen designed 21 hole golf course and around 400 houses. Developers have gone into liquidation and the site is now closed with houses in various stages of development as far as you can see.

Hard to find info on it, you can read about the grand plans here, can't find anything on the current state of it. They did have a website but I can't find it now.

Advertisement