Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent Knowledge needed

• 17-11-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

The GF has a VW Polo 2002 and driving test this Thursday.

Noticed today that when the ignition is on regardless of whether the car is in reverse or not, the reverse lights are on. Now I know it's illegal to be driving around with white lights on the back of your vehicle, so I've taken the bulbs out.

We don't really have a chance to get it to a garage tomorrow and the tester mightn't even check the reverse lights, but better safe than sorry. Apart from the reverse lights, the rest of the electrics work fine.

I'm guessing there's a switch somewhere that is stuck in the on position that is keeping the reverse lights on. But, I don't know where it is. I've already lifted the gearstick cover and there doesn't appear to be anything there. So, does anyone know where I can locate it? (assuming that's the problem)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Have you tried a new bulb ? or all the rear bulbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

The GF has a VW Polo 2002 and driving test this Thursday.

Noticed today that when the ignition is on regardless of whether the car is in reverse or not, the reverse lights are on. Now I know it's illegal to be driving around with white lights on the back of your vehicle, so I've taken the bulbs out.

We don't really have a chance to get it to a garage tomorrow and the tester mightn't even check the reverse lights, but better safe than sorry. Apart from the reverse lights, the rest of the electrics work fine.

I'm guessing there's a switch somewhere that is stuck in the on position that is keeping the reverse lights on. But, I don't know where it is. I've already lifted the gearstick cover and there doesn't appear to be anything there. So, does anyone know where I can locate it? (assuming that's the problem)

Cheers

First of all testers DO always check your hazzards, indicators, breaklights and reverse lights work. You will not be allowed sit the test if they dont.

Does this happen if the lights are on in the car or does it happen when they are off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

cronin_j wrote: »
    First of all testers DO always check your hazzards, indicators, breaklights and reverse lights work. You will not be allowed sit the test if they dont.

Does this happen if the lights are on in the car or does it happen when they are off?

As soon as the ignition is switched on the reverse lights come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The switch for the reverse lights on most cars is actually at the gearbox ..kinda awkward to get to for a quick fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A mechanic will sort this pretty quick.

If you are kinda handy at this stuff, you could have a look at the bulb cluster, see is the reserve light circuit being completed through its own wiring i.e. the wiring to the switch or is it down to a fault in the cluster itself

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply lads.

So a decent mechanic should be able to sort it out in a short enough space of time. We'll just have to sort something out in the morning and try and jump the queue with the local mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The red circle indicates the plug into the switch. Check the voltages here.

f5dq4p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Reversing lights are not a legal requirement therefore the examiner has no grounds to reject a test on the basis of the lack of working reversing lights. So long as the bulbs are pulled the car is road legal again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Bazzy wrote: »
    Have you tried a new bulb ? or all the rear bulbs?

Eh ? The bulbs are ON all the time...........you offering to fit a ..........blown one ..?? :D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

i took my test last week,the only lights that are checked are you indicators,hazards,brakes and if its dull he'll check your heads and dips and if its foggy they'll check your fog light,so if he leaves the reverse bulbs out she'll be fine doing the test for when the tester checks the rear to make sure hazards,brakes and indicators work,i've never heard of anybody ever being asked to put the car into reverse for a tester so he can check if reverse lights are working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

quarryman wrote: »
    The red circle indicates the plug into the switch. Check the voltages here.

f5dq4p.jpg

Remove the plug on the connection illustrated above and check for continuity rather than voltage. When forward gears/neutral are selected there should be no continuity across the switch.

Reverse light switches are common failure components in VWs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Try a few light technical taps around the switch on the gearbox

might work bar the spring in the switch is shagged or the end ball

bryaner wrote: »
    Try a few light technical taps around the switch on the gearbox

might work bar the spring in the switch is shagged or the end ball

Heh, there were a few technical taps attempted :D

My old car had no reverse lights for about 4 years and it passed the NCT twice, but I just wasn't sure of the situation with the driving test.

Anyway, she got it sorted there at lunch time for the nice sum of €60 :eek:

The skeptic in me says the long hair led led to a couple of bob added to the price. I wish I had had the time to have a go at it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyway, she got it sorted there at lunch time for the nice sum of €60 :eek:

The skeptic in me says the long hair led led to a couple of bob added to the price. I wish I had had the time to have a go at it myself.

An hour's labour so.

Better than automatically failing the test!

quarryman wrote: »
    An hour's labour so.

Better than automatically failing the test!

When you put it like that, fair enough. It's just I didn't think it'd be even 20 minutes for a guy who knew what he was doing.

Advertisement