Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do deeds look like?

Options
  • 17-11-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My parents inherited a house and are looking to sell it but we are unsure about the deeds. We have a certified copy of the folio and map from solicitor and in the house we've only been able to find a Transfer Order. Is this all we need or are we looking for something that says "Title Deeds" written on it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

That's probably it to be honest. The folio and map are the main "title deed" - Are your parents named on it?

You mention a Transfer Order - so it was once a local authority house?
    Which means, likely, it was built by the local authority so there'd be no planning documents per se. Your solicitor could get a letter from the council confirming this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The Title Deeds do not have the words "Title Deeds" on them :)

The Deed of Transfer is properly what you need.

It will say your parents name and their address and the name and address of the person who transfered them the house.

And how much it was purchased for

It was also list every single person who owned the house, and who they bought if off and for how much.

How old is the house? The title deed can be a big bundle of documents especially if it an old house.

on the back page, it should say something like Deed of Transfer, Deed of Conveyance etc.

These are usual kept for safe keeping with your Solicitor or Bank. have you checked with these people if they have them?

To re-build lost title deeds, as an expensive and labourous procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

HI,

The transfer order is the only documents that look remotely like "Deeds" but they still have my deceased aunts name on them. They are dated 1976. But the certified copy of the folio has listed all names on it with the deceased parties crossed out and my folks names on it now. That was what we got back from solicitor after probate was sorted.

That's it then....so don't worry!

Now, on part 3 of the folio there may be "burdens" listed. Included in these may be the transfer order, which is why it's great you have a copy.

The only other documents you may need would be:

Planning documents for any extension/development

Tax clearance certificate confirming no tax due to the Revenue Commissioners from when your parents inherited from you aunt - the solicitor who dealt with the probate probably already has this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The Transfer Order could be what is needed. what does it say ? Does it say the house was transferred from your deceased Aunt to your parents under Probate ?

your parents are the registered owners of the property, as it states on the Folio.

As your parents are looking to sell the house, just get them to bring the Transfer Order to their Solicitor and they will be able to tell you straight away whether it is the correct document

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

juke wrote: »
    That's it then....so don't worry!

Now, on part 3 of the folio there may be "burdens" listed. Included in these may be the transfer order, which is why it's great you have a copy.

The only other documents you may need would be:

Planning documents for any extension/development

Tax clearance certificate confirming no tax due to the Revenue Commissioners from when your parents inherited from you aunt - the solicitor who dealt with the probate probably already has this.

Thanks juke, Have the tax clearance and no extensions so that a relief. Guess only thing to do is keep fingers crossed that the weather out there doesnt blow the house down. :D

not going to happen.... council houses (poured concrete)...built to last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I've just been looking at the bunch of documents we received from the bank upon the payment of the remainder of our mortgage... and none of the documents show that we are the registered owners of this property. Instead, I see a certified copy of the folio, along with a very vague map, which has the name of the developer of our housing estate on it.

I suppose I should get advice from a solicitor. Presumably, once one has paid off a mortgage, it is up to oneself to then register ownership with the land registry?:confused:

I was expecting a yellow parchment with a stamp on it and our name, somewhat along the lines of a college degree parchment or something...:confused:

I've just been looking at the bunch of documents we received from the bank upon the payment of the remainder of our mortgage... and none of the documents show that we are the registered owners of this property. Instead, I see a certified copy of the folio, along with a very vague map, which has the name of the developer of our housing estate on it.

I suppose I should get advice from a solicitor. Presumably, once one has paid off a mortgage, it is up to oneself to then register ownership with the land registry?:confused:

The folio is the relevant document which would show ownership in the Land Registry.
    I was expecting a yellow parchment with a stamp on it and our name, somewhat along the lines of a college degree parchment or something...:confused:

No :)
    Check through the deeds again. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a more updated folio with the developers name crossed off and your names below it. But don't worry of not.

You can get a solicitors to do a search for you, or contact the land registry directly - if you are near, call in to their offices in the Four Courts. If you call in, a plain copy of the updated folio will cost you €2.50.

It is possible the banks mortgage needs to be cancelled too - the original mortgage should be with the deeds. No panic on your part to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Same here.

I inherited my late Mum's ex-council house, paid off the little remaining on the mortgage and bought out the ground rent.

I was expecting some big scrolly thing, but all I got was a copy of the original transfer order, a letter from the council confirming no issues in relation to planning and a sealed vacate notice from the Council that I had to lodge in the Land Registry.

The papers we get look little different to the average sort of junk one throws into the bin or the shredder.

Utterly underwhelming. I think we should lobby for a yellow scrolly yoke, with an embossed stamp on it. 20-35 years of mortgage slavery should be marked by something of greater gravitas than miscellaneous pieces of litter.

Advertisement