Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector Strike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Personally i don't see why the SU should have to make a clear judgement on what is appropriate pay for the staff in maynooth.

IMO they should be just looking out for the students. In which case they should condemn the strike due to the fact that students miss out on lectures and services.

It is arguable that it will be harder for colleges to attain as high a grade of lecturer due to the lower wages. This could be a basis for the SU being against cutbacks, but they should still not condone the strike!
    And the wage argument is not 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Was in touch with IFUT ages ago, got a motion passed on union council expressing support for November Sixth and extending solidarity to both IFUT and Siptu. (No,really)

Anyway, the General Sec. got back to me, here's a bit of it.

If you look at the IFUT website (www.ifut.ie) you will see that USI and IFUT have made common cause regarding the damage that is being caused to university education by the non-replacement of staff. IFUT is urging all of our Branches to discuss closer co-operation on this issue with our local Students' Unions.

So, there is much to discuss between IFUT and the Students' Union in NUIM

there is much to discuss between IFUT and the Students' Union in NUIM :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

I'm a contract lecturer and PhD student with NUIM at the minute.. It infuriates me to hear of people earning many multiples of what I earn - with tenure, complaining about pay cuts...

As it is I am not in a member of the union and have very little chance of being kept on once my contract is up next year.

My head of department is pretty involved in the unions. I dont want to draw negative attention to myself in the off chance that I might get a contract extension next year, so I am staying away from maynooth on tuesday.. and will loose a days pay because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

jrd wrote: »
    I'm a contract lecturer and PhD student with NUIM at the minute.. It infuriates me to hear of people earning many multiples of what I earn - with tenure, complaining about pay cuts...

As it is I am not in a member of the union and have very little chance of being kept on once my contract is up next year.

My head of department is pretty involved in the unions. I dont want to draw negative attention to myself in the off chance that I might get a contract extension next year, so I am staying away from maynooth on tuesday.. and will loose a days pay because of it.

You could reschedule as many contract staff are doing, technically that isn't withdrawing labour... :)

I was talking with a few others on Friday who fall between the student/staff divide. Since the unions have given us a consistent 'f**k off', we could cross the picket on the grounds that our union reps (the SU) have encouraged us to make use of facilities.

Depends on whether or not you got any threatening notices from on high I suppose.... (I hope you didnt - and yes, it is shameful carry on)

For what its worth, as somebody completely behind the ICTU day of action, I'm actually quite annoyed reading about the attitude to contract staff on campus from the two unions. I imagine I'm not alone on here in saying I've every intention of some day working in a University, so I find that very worrying to read.

Is there anything contract staff can do about it? Have you approached the unions as a group? I'm sure this violates union policy, when I was working in part-time student-y jobs I was still eligable for union membership. Denying somebody access to a union is a disgrace.

I still think in the grand scheme of things the day of action is correct, be it a primary school, third level insitution, or any other group (firefighters, nurses etc.)

I think this comment on Indymedia summed it up best:

person.gif by Godotdate.gifSat Nov 21, 2009 12:53The embargo on public sector recruitment, coupled with pressure on colleges to reduce their pay budget by 3%, mean that classes, lectures, tutorials, library hours and science labs have been cut - and the SU is neutral on this? Off with their heads.

I am still absolutely raging the SU deleted me on Facebook over this (I presume) . As a class rep, I dont think thats on. I didn't post anything offence, I REPOSTED something a friend made public. Childish at best on their part. If they ever decide to accept my re-adds I'll drop it, but its not on. They're taking a hammering on the latest Status update, will they delete ALL dissenting voices on this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's incredibly poor form, them deleting you. Like, seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Yeh not cool at all.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    For what its worth, as somebody completely behind the ICTU day of action, I'm actually quite annoyed reading about the attitude to contract staff on campus from the two unions. I imagine I'm not alone on here in saying I've every intention of some day working in a University, so I find that very worrying to read.

Which makes it all the more important for us (at the risk of sounding as partisan as the striking union lecturers) to bring the issue to the front. Contract/non tenured work is part of a general trend moving steadily from the American model (along with other wasteful practices such as generic structured doctoral education), and unfortunately bridges both university and union policy. The difference in contract-tenured proportions across individual universities and between departments is also significant.

Contract staff have generally been forced into a position in this latest row where without union representation, no security of tenure or basic collective rights, the university authorities have told them to shut up, come to work or be found in breach of contract. Not much you can do with your head on the chopping block year to year. Breaking into union membership would be the easier battle, but unfortunately adjunct faculty as policy seems to be on the horizon, and there isnt much any of us can do about that.
    Is there anything contract staff can do about it? Have you approached the unions as a group?

Hopefully, remains to be seen... Were this dispute framed differently and presented without blatant disregard for anything beyond the change in their pockets, I would be out on Tuesday.
    I still think in the grand scheme of things the day of action is correct, be it a primary school, third level insitution, or any other group (firefighters, nurses etc.)

A day of action with the university staff striking for sustained contact hours, funding for mid-level teaching, extended contract work, fair terms of union membership, quality of service and equality of access - I would agree. This is about pay, and nothing else

banquo wrote: »
    It's incredibly poor form, them deleting you. Like, seriously.

Cheers Beau and banquo

(and efla thanks for another piece to ponder. I agree with your entire post until tuesday comes into play. I think its woefully bad of unions not to accept contract staff, and not a good indication for future union membership either, to keep the younger faces literally at arms length)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tuborg

Just recieved this from one of my lecturers:
    From the Union:

FOR THE INFORMATION OF MAYNOOTH STUDENTS

STRIKE ACTION BY CAMPUS TRADE UNIONISTS, 24 NOVEMBER 2009

All of the trade unions representing staff working on the Maynooth campus are taking part in a one-day strike on Tuesday November 24th. The strike is protesting against the threat of further government-imposed cuts in the pay of university employees. Action is being taken following ballots in which the majority of members of the unions that are taking part voted in favour of coming out on strike.

Pickets will be placed at the entrances to the North and South campuses throughout the day on Tuesday. Students are asked not to pass these pickets and not to enter the campus while the strike is in progress. (A distinction is, of course, recognised here between students residing on campus and those who would normally be coming in to attend lectures etc. There is no intention to interfere with anyone's access to their home. The aim is to bring the ordinary working parts of the university - its lecture theatres, labs, library etc. - to a halt for the period of the strike).

Hopefully you will have been informed of the cancellation of your classes by your lecturers in advance of Tuesday. If you are in any doubt, please contact the lecturer concerned to confirm that cancellation. With official pickets in place, the only people who will be conducting or attending classes will be those who have deliberately chosen to break the strike. Given the wide range of Maynooth employees stopping work on the day, it is quite likely that the campus will close down completely. University management intend to try and keep it open but health and safety considerations may lead them to reconsider this position once the strike is in progress. If you do not wish to actively express support for the strike, your wisest course of action may be to stay away from Maynooth on November 24th. Public transport services are likely to be disrupted on that day because workers right across the public sector are going to be involved in the strike.

It must be emphasised that trade union members on the campus are seeking and will warmly welcome student support for their action. Pay cuts are part of a wider package of measures that will progressively reduce the resourcing and the quality of the education provided to students in our schools and universities. The return to charging students tuition fees forms part of the same political agenda. Students and staff have a common interest in the protection of our education system against the kind of destructive changes with which it is currently threatened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

Dear Student,

The University intends to remain open and conduct business as best it can on Tuesday, 24th November when a number of University staff will be on strike.

With regard to Lectures. Tutorials, Practicals and other departmental activities, we have asked Departments/individual staff to contact their students via Moodle, Email or Departmental Website or other means to let students know if any particular event is cancelled. Otherwise academic events go ahead as scheduled.

Unfortunately the following central services will not be available on that day:

Library
    Langauge Centre
    Catering (Pugin Hall)
    Creche
    Medical Centre
    Counselling
    Student Services Building
    Student's Union
    Speakeasy
    O'Brien's Sandwich Bar (Library)
    Londis Shop (Hume Building)

Sports Centre, Swimming Pool , O'Briens Sandwich Bar (John Hume) and Bewleys (Arts Block) will remain open

The University apologises for any inconvenience caused by the strike, which is outside of its control.
    They intend to remain open.....cool so if we want a sandwich or a swim we won't be put out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Does anyone know for sure which lectures will be going ahead,so far History have said they are on strike,that is all I know at this moment and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Sociology are on strike, fairly sure Anthropology are too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

My maths lecturer and my comp science lab demonstrators aern't striking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

English Department are striking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Business and Economics classes for 1st year to continue as normal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Business and Economics classes for 1st year to continue as normal.

Aww don't tell me that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

irish_goat wrote: »
    Aww don't tell me that. :(
    Sorry man, check Moodle. If you have an Economic tutorial too its going ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

In other words don't take anything for 100% until you check moodle for yourself, seems like there's been a load of different things said to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hairy cake

Eh, departments aren't 'striking' or not. It depends on a number of factors (whether individual staff are union members, support staff, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

In fairness mate, several of us have used the term, not just YTH. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tuborg

afaik the economics department are not striking, i have both my classes running 2moro.

One lecturer had told us that they were giving the class despite the strike and the other one had intially cancelled because of the strike but just got an email today saying that class was going ahead.

hairy cake wrote: »
    Eh, departments aren't 'striking' or not. It depends on a number of factors (whether individual staff are union members, support staff, etc.).

The extent to which any non-tenured individual can strike is in debatable, and has been officially forbidden by university authorities. Although it is not strictly an issue of departmental policy, the internal politics of most make it near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Effluo wrote: »
    Personally i don't see why the SU should have to make a clear judgement on what is appropriate pay for the staff in maynooth.

IMO they should be just looking out for the students. In which case they should condemn the strike due to the fact that students miss out on lectures and services.

It is arguable that it will be harder for colleges to attain as high a grade of lecturer due to the lower wages. This could be a basis for the SU being against cutbacks, but they should still not condone the strike!
    And the wage argument is not 100%

The SU's stance on the strike is a neutral one. We ARE here for the students' education and the reason that we ourselves are not going to be picketing is because of the strike students are losing out on a day of education.

I would also like to make clear that due to our constitution we are not associated with any governmental or political party. I make this point in order to dispel the rumours that we are affiliated with the present government. To make it even clearer, there is only one of the SU exec that is in support of the party. The rest of us are all opposed to Fianna F.A.I..L!

We do not see students as being "scabs" if they use necessary facilities on the campus. This battle does not belong to the students. If they decide to support the lecturers then I say fair play to them for standing up for their beliefs! This is your choice- Use it!

The SU's stance on the strike is a neutral one. We ARE here for the students' education and the reason that we ourselves are not going to be picketing is because of the strike students are losing out on a day of education.

Which makes it all the more painful to see messages of student support for the strike action. I would rather a direct occupation of teaching rooms as opposed to a general campus blockade, but I suppose it has been a few years since the last one... The SU could do with taking a firmer stance on internal dealings however. The role of any ostensibly impartial representative body should be to monitor and audit on behalf of what are effectively its paying clients (as much as I hate the concept...). The fact that the circular to students from the staff unions effectively disregarded the rights of students to collective action by not considering our union's position on the strike is offensive to say the least. An ideal SU in my opinion shold be right at the front of issues like this, one way or another.
    I would also like to make clear that due to our constitution we are not associated with any governmental or political party. I make this point in order to dispel the rumours that we are affiliated with the present government. To make it even clearer, there is only one of the SU exec that is in support of the party. The rest of us are all opposed to Fianna F.A.I..L!

Affiliation or no, there will always be unaviodable political alignments within and between union/management. I dont see how mainstream party politics should factor into this?
    This battle does not belong to the students. If they decide to support the lecturers then I say fair play to them for standing up for their beliefs! This is your choice- Use it!

I disagree. Supporting the lecturers in this instance, considering the way in which this issue has been framed, the history of exclusion of non-tenured staff from basic membership, and non-intervention (despite the actions of certain noted individuals) over the fees issue, make this a battle that students should be accurately informed on. When the cuts begin, it wont be at the level of senior pay, and I hope every student who will remain here for the forthcoming years takes note of how this particular discussion is playing out, and how active these same staff will be when the sh*t rolls downhill onto the likes of you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Ex. Physics- third year electromag lecture tomorrow is cancelled. Can't speak for any other modules.

Maths-Physics- no word on whether its a go/ no go tomorrow, however we were handed out the letter about the strike in today's MP lecture. There was no word from the lecturer about which modules, if any, would be affected tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

As I've said before, the entire SU are my friends. But friends are honest with each other.

Recommending to students to cross picket lines isn't a neutral stance. I respect anyone with a sincere viewpoint on the day of action, for or against, but let's not bull**** each other.

Also, dis-friending PrivateEye/Donal on Facebook is so incredibly petty that it defies all understanding. What problem did that solve, exactly? There are enough honest-to-God battles out there without us creating cosmetic ones.

Music
    Building - including Tech Labs, Performance Suite - closed. Ergo the office is also closed.

Those of you with an essay for Lorraine Byrne due tomorrow: it's now due wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If you have lectures or tutorials you should not be attending them. Do not pass a picket!! The government is intent on making low paid public sector workers the victim of the budget. Support them and do not pass a picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

banquo wrote: »
    As I've said before, the entire SU are my friends. But friends are honest with each other.

Recommending to students to cross picket lines isn't a neutral stance. I respect anyone with a sincere viewpoint on the day of action, for or against, but let's not bull**** each other.

Also, dis-friending PrivateEye/Donal on Facebook is so incredibly petty that it defies all understanding. What problem did that solve, exactly? There are enough honest-to-God battles out there without us creating cosmetic ones.

We are not recommending anybody to cross or not cross picket lines. We are telling students to make up their own minds. I for one say fair play to those that do decide to support the strike, but just remember that we as students are losing out on a full day of lectures, tutorials, seminars, campus facilities (a comedian in the SU!!) What about students living on campus? Are they going to be shouted down when they try to get home?

We are not bullsh*tting anyone. We are doing our job by standing up for the rights of the student body. The people that raised their voices the loudest last year- when the issue of fees was introduced- were the same people that complained that they would be unable to attend lectures. Now they are avoiding lectures by their own choice. Where were the majority of lecturers when the fees were an issue? Not striking with students.

Can I remind people that this is a public sector strike? Not necessarily a student one- although if you are for it, then well done.

The issue with PrivateEye was rectified and the issue has been dealt with and sorted. There was a huge misunderstanding by the person that removed him from the page and it has all been sorted.

I REALLY don't want another fight! Let the dispute remain between the public sector (and its supporters!!) and Fianna F*ckin FAIL!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I hate this notion of don't pass a picket. The whole point of a picket is about a display of solidarity. I for one am very opposed to this strike as a former staff member that was unrecognised by the unions. I have seen the cuts that have been made in order to preserve the wages of the elite top dogs. I do not have the support of the unions and the measures they are protesting could actually help those like me. Therefore the unions do not have my support or solidarity. Therefore I should cross the picket. A picket is meaningless if it is not symbolic of support. If people refuse to cross a picket because they agree with the people excellent that is how it should work. If they refuse to cross the picket because they are scared of being taunted or otherwise negatively affected then it is pointless.

Advertisement