Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector Strike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

If I don't cross the picket tomorrow I risk getting 0 in a lab exam tomorrow. I can't,for the life of me, understand why the lecturer won't move the exam to next week. I hate having to cross the picket lines but I guess I'll have no other choice. Anyone know where the pickets will be ? Maybe I might be able to go around them ?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tuborg

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    If you have lectures or tutorials you should not be attending them. Do not pass a picket!! The government is intent on making low paid public sector workers the victim of the budget. Support them and do not pass a picket.
    Dear Student,

The University intends to remain open and conduct business as best it
    can on Tuesday, 24th November when a number of University staff will
    be on strike.

With regard to Lectures. Tutorials, Practicals and other departmental
    activities, we have asked Departments/individual staff to contact
    their students via Moodle, Email or Departmental Website or other
    means to let students know if any particular event is cancelled.
    Otherwise academic events go ahead as scheduled.
    Yours sincerely
    David Redmond
    Registrar

In all fairness, if class is going ahead, which it is for my department I am going to attend lectures. I am glad my department is still running ahead, unlike the deparment I demonstrate for which means a lower pay cheque this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

cian1500ww wrote: »
    If I don't cross the picket tomorrow I risk getting 0 in a lab exam tomorrow. I can't,for the life of me, understand why the lecturer won't move the exam to next week. I hate having to cross the picket lines but I guess I'll have no other choice. Anyone know where the pickets will be ? Maybe I might be able to go around them ?? :D

Just make it look as though you live on campus... carry a shopping bag :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You'll have an even lower paycheck when Mr Lenihan increases tax on those least able to pay in December.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Just make it look as though you live on campus... carry a shopping bag :p
    I do live on-campus ;):o

Does that mean I'll be inside the picket lines :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Can I remind people that this is a public sector strike? Not necessarily a student one- although if you are for it, then well done

I REALLY don't want another fight! Let the dispute remain between the public sector (and its supporters!!) and Fianna F*ckin FAIL!!!!

This is far from a straighforward issue, as the thread should have demonstrated. Your education is delivered by a mix of permanant/tenured, adjunct, contract, assistant, 'pink slip' and postgraduate labour. The latter four are unwelcomed by the established teachers unions. A significant proportion of teaching work, and important (based on student feedback - as evidenced in the English tutorial fallout) fact time is delivered by workers who fall between the student/staff remit. The fact that institutes such as DCU have voted against strike action speaks to the point made by the poster below, insofar as it shows just how critical cheap unregulated labour is to senior staff.

The reign that individual departments have had over recruiting policy, and insular union leadership are systemic issues, as I mentioned earlier, drifting slowly from an established American model of contract service provision. It should not remain at the level of Fianna Fail/Public Sector, it should be made public. At the very least it would dispel the 'majority overpaid lazy' myth and bring internal dealings and inequality to the debate.
    I hate this notion of don't pass a picket. The whole point of a picket is about a display of solidarity. I for one am very opposed to this strike as a former staff member that was unrecognised by the unions. I have seen the cuts that have been made in order to preserve the wages of the elite top dogs. I do not have the support of the unions and the measures they are protesting could actually help those like me. Therefore the unions do not have my support or solidarity. Therefore I should cross the picket. A picket is meaningless if it is not symbolic of support. If people refuse to cross a picket because they agree with the people excellent that is how it should work. If they refuse to cross the picket because they are scared of being taunted or otherwise negatively affected then it is pointless.

Unfortunately we run the risk of burning important bridges tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

I am not going to cross a picket today. Before I get into my car and drive the 25 miles to college can anyone who might be on campus let me know if there is definitely a picket on the south campus gate this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There now. There is. Good few as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 limerickman95

Why do people not want to cross a picket line

There's quite a good few on the picket line at the main entrance to the north campus. For anyone that want's to go around it, there's no picket line at the entrance beside the village apartments ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

I need to use a computer. dont go to lectures so i doubt they will know whose bridge to burn. remember balaclavas are not just for egging the neighbours!

Huge picket at south campus gates.

Also, ramp is gone. Think they could have filled in the massive pothole while they were at it with the tarmac machine they had...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

What's it like on the North campus?

cian1500ww wrote: »
    There's quite a good few on the picket line at the main entrance to the north campus. For anyone that want's to go around it, there's no picket line at the entrance beside the village apartments ;)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    jrd wrote: »
    What's it like on the North campus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

Missed that post, thanks...

Some good picketing got done today. Managed to get most of the pickets in around the college. And it was good to see Labour Youth there with their pretty sign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

empty now, tis safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

anyone attack yees for trying to stop them going to a lecture??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Duddy wrote: »
    anyone attack yees for trying to stop them going to a lecture??

Saw some guy getting shouted/chanted at by the Labour group and lecturers as he walked through old campus gates..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Saw some guy getting shouted/chanted at by the Labour group and lecturers as he walked through old campus gates..

what sado's

• Advertisement

Anything like that was in good humour. No one was intimidated or anything like that. These people are protesting so you can have free fees and all you can do is call them saddos :o

Nearly got rub over by john Hughes. My fault, wasn't paying attention and wandered in front of his car. Turned out to be the prez of the college, so that'll bode well for me.

Thought I seen you there at old gates when I arrived alright.

They are sado's if they did this and it wasn't a joke.

They were protesting so i don't have to pay fees? didn't know that (besides the point i'm actually in favour of some sort of fee)

edit: isn't all the college fee thingy finished with now? After the greens said they would try get some respect/votes and say "No fees plz"

There were numerous facets to the demonstrations today. The government will have fees back on the agenda soon don't you worry. And there is no way anyone was intimidated or "shouted at" in anything but jest today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

A very good turnout from Labour, personally delighted with the turnout from Free Education for Everyone.

The decision to march together to the North Campus entrance before going to different pickets was a good one, showed the numbers. Nice to see some Austrian types involved with the occupations there out too.

The local Labour cllr. showed up to the North Campus LITERALLY just after Labour Youth left for the South Campus and ended up talking to FEE/ Austrian lefty students :D Gave him directions, slightly bemusing moment.

Thanks Labour/individual students, bloody great to see groups working together when need be. Some issues are FAR bigger than our seperate banners
    isn't all the college fee thingy finished with now? After the greens said they would try get some respect/votes and say "No fees plz"

Not in the slightest.

Backdoor fees, a government TD lecturing on campus, massive cutbacks across the board.

We're only starting. We put up over 150 A3 posters for today on campus, built for it online, and attended the November Sixth demos too. Opposting cutbacks on campus is crucial.

The student movement can't just fcuk off home with their football once direct fees come off the table

And there is no way anyone was intimidated or "shouted at" in anything but jest today.

That's great if it's true. I don't know what tootyflutty saw, but i'm sure we can all agree that abusing somebody because they have a different opinion than you is wrong(unless they are just plain morally wrong). And anyone who would do something like that would be imo, a "sado".

Lets just leave it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

They are sado's if they did this and it wasn't a joke.

Who is this guy 'Sado'

(Sorry, you're using 's the wrong way :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Anything like that was in good humour. No one was intimidated or anything like that. These people are protesting so you can have free fees and all you can do is call them saddos :o

In jest or not if they did that then they have lost all respect I had for them. They are making a mockery of their own picket by doing that. Nobody should ever have anything said against them for crossing picket.

• Advertisement

I should add that the only people who I seen doing this were some student protestors. Not the workers picketing. And they seemed to know the chap. Lads, relax ffs, none of you were even there!!

Advertisement