Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector Strike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

No, not many I'm sure but what about those on 18k a year? 21k? 24k? That's still a frigtheningly low wage compared to the cost of living here. Those individuals earning 100k+ are the ones who should be hit hardest in both the public and private sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Come on now lads!

Taxing our way out of recession does not work.
    Taxation is a lot more complicated than, take from the rich and give to the poor too. I say this as i see crazy figures being thrown about, how we only need so many billion, so we should take the richest guys "worth"?

Ireland does have a problem with it's tax system, but a much bigger problem with it's spending. We simply need to cut it right across the board.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1110/1224258483106.html

Every part of Government funded services will be effected. FACT

We simply do not have the money

Everyone understands the need for cuts. Cut the frivulous ****e. Do not cut frontline services. Do not make unneccessary cuts in education, health, public transport, infrastructure works, etc,. Cuts in these areas would be stunt future economic growth while only papering over the cracks in the short term. Our health service is already failing. How will it fare with less funding??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Problem being that some people with an agenda see public services as frivulous $hite.
    Private hospitals and schools anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I see in the papers that the vast majorty of Congress affiliated unions balloted their members for more than one days action. One of the unions that only balloted for a one day strike however.....is the IFUT.

Surely that rules them out for next Thursday if that day of action goes ahead? The IFUT had a strong showing yesterday over the course of the day too. Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    The neutral stance of the SU is nothing but laughable and adds credence to most people's belief that the SU in Maynooth is not only alligned with the centre right cretins in power, but that it's also a political non-entity.

can i just make something clear?

Under the constitution, we cannot be in favour of a political party.

Secondly, as I have already pointed out before (but I'm going to tell myself you just missed it) WE ARE NOT IN FAVOUR OF THE THICK F*CKERS THAT CALL THEMSELVES OUR GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!

one of the members of the exec is in favour of fianna FAIL but the rest of us are complete anti-FF. So can you please all stop accusing us of being so?

I voted no in for the Lisbon, simply because the government told me to vote yes!

That clear now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

can i just make something clear?

Under the constitution, we cannot be in favour of a political party.

Secondly, as I have already pointed out before (but I'm going to tell myself you just missed it) WE ARE NOT IN FAVOUR OF THE THICK F*CKERS THAT CALL THEMSELVES OUR GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!

one of the members of the exec is in favour of fianna FAIL but the rest of us are complete anti-FF. So can you please all stop accusing us of being so?

I voted no in for the Lisbon, simply because the government told me to vote yes!

That clear now?

What do established parties have to do with it?? His comment, and mine were about general neutrality. 'Political action' does not mean aligning with established party interests, we were referring to a general inability to engage in any critical dialogue with any college interest groups - unions, management, student groups, youth defense last year etc. These are political issues - 'politics' does not stop at fianna fail.

Was that last comment a joke?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

A well thought out and reasoned use of your vote. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

That's a great way to exercise your vote, instead of looking at the issue at hand and deciding on that basis just do the opposite of what the government wants :rolleyes:

I have sympathy for those on lower pay that were on strike yesterday but have no sympathy for the one's that are on 80-100K+, seriously what kind of life must they be living if they say they'd find it hard to live after a pay cut. The frontline services shouldn't be touched but middle management in all public services should be severely cut like it should have been done years ago.

Anyone else notice what the ministers are being driven around in?Mercs :rolleyes: nice to know the money is being well spent, and to make it even more laughable they bought a €150,000 2009 Merc and Brian Cowen refused to use it as it would look to flashy so instead it was parked up in a Garda garage for 6 months:pac:

Marge: Homer!! You can't go to church in a short sleeved shirt and a tie!!

Homer: But Sipowicz wears a short sleeved shirt and a tie.

Marge: If Sipowicz jumped off a cliff would you do it too?

Homer: (downcast eyes and a sad voice) Yes.

• Advertisement

Anyone here the rumour that Bertie is coming tomorrow??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yep.

Phone buzzing with journalists all day. This is getting pathetic, an 'Honorary' Professor who cant even publically give a date for his first lecture. Even if we dont protest him outside, we've ruined it on him.

They're not telling anyone anything.

WE ARE NOT IN FAVOUR OF THE THICK F*CKERS THAT CALL THEMSELVES OUR GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!

They seem to have no problem with the appointment of a seriously thick Fianna Fail Government T.D on campus, and no support for the unionised work force on campus (no prizes for guessing who wants to cut their incomes...)

I dont think the S.U are 'pro Fianna Fail', just amazingly apolitical.
    'politics' does not stop at fianna fail.

+1.

Ian Beale wrote: »
    That's a great way to exercise your vote, instead of looking at the issue at hand and deciding on that basis just do the opposite of what the government wants :rolleyes:

If people did this then we wouldn't have ratified.

I don't think it's fair to keep on after the SU for their stances on these things.
    Correct me if i'm wrong here, but don't those that get elected, get elected cause they just know a shed load of people?
    So why bother trying to eek any politics out of them? So we can poke fun at their poor decisions/inaction?

We also know that our SU is not ideal, but IMO that's not the participants fault. They were elected by the people, which is something which would never happen for me or most of the people here.

p.s. i'm not "bitchin" about the SU here, All i'm saying is that a lot of people here want a more politically active SU, with clear stances on things.

(i'm not having a go at anyone in the su) I get so much friggin aggro here, tryin my best to be pc kk :p

Definite protest tomorrow for Bertie. Will post details when I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I've met him 4 times now. Lived in his district. Chatted at front door for about 20 minutes when I was 12/13. A real gentleman in person, I have to say.

Aren't all criminals charmers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Aren't all criminals charmers?

Never realised he was convicted of a crime.

Definite protest tomorrow for Bertie. Will post details when I know.

cool, source? Trying to get in touch with Labour types today. Local media very frustrated too. This is actually taking the piss at this stage.

My 'won it on a horse?' banner will never get out :o

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Never realised he was convicted of a crime.

Don't be so naive.

• Advertisement

PrivateEye wrote: »
    cool, source? Trying to get in touch with Labour types today. Local media very frustrated too. This is actually taking the piss at this stage.

My 'won it on a horse?' banner will never get out :o

SWP guy I know. He said he'd let me know.

SWP guy I know. He said he'd let me know.

I know whats happening here.

Worker rings FEE
    FEE text Labour
    somebody rings SWP
    SWP tell people
    All the left groups tell people now word is out
    Papers ring College
    Papers ring me because I foolishly put my number on a press release
    donkeys ago
    I ring Communications Office and nobody seems to answer the phones
    Confused leftists ring each other
    Rumour remains just that, we've no concrete plan :o

There's a need for a good system of communication tomorrow.
    HEAVY LECTURE ADDRESSING if anything is confirmed.

Anyone know what exactly Bertie is supposed to be doing in the college?
    Is he gonna be lecturing on politics or something? (no smart answers plz)

Conflict Intervention. I **** you not.

Conflict Intervention. I **** you not.

Given the choice who would you choose, from Ireland, to lecture on conflict intervention?

This subject of Bertie is completely off topic, but does anyone else think that it might be a good idea to have the most successful political leader of our time as a lecturer at NUIM?

Or maybe he's just too "stupid" :rolleyes:

If we found out that an existing lecturer was a convicted tax cheat(which Bertie isn't) or guilty of some other crime, do you think we should protest against them?

Or are ye just planning to protest against him due to him being Fianna Fail?

I don't even know were to start with that post. Do you think he's doing this for free?? Why sould an already handsomely paid person be employed by the university when in a week the government will make cut backs that could cost the jobs of university employees (and already has, french department secretary)?

@irish goat:

So if I make up a module of the top of my head, say for example, Conflict Intervention, I should then automatically seek out the most qualified person to lecture in Ireland, Bertie Ahern for example (never mind the fact he's not in a finance scenario anyway), pay him crap loads of cash when honest, decent, hard working university staff are about to be screwed over by the budget and could badly use that money instead of asking someone already waged by the university to teach said course?

My head hurts.

Off the top of my head:

1)The man hopped into the Dail on crutches to vote FOR controversial cuts just before Christmas. He is still a sitting TD who will vote for cutbacks across the board with his party.

2)He has spent less than a week in the Dail since stepping down. In fact, when he does walk in (or hop in) its for votes like those above.

3) He did play a key role in the Northern peace process, of course. He's been living of it since stepping down from the position of Taoiseach, speaking at expensive dinner parties and receptions internationally on the issue. Its pure careerism thats bringing him here now, the 'Prof.' tag is too tempting....

4) Bertie Ahern and his good friend Ray Burke (A Fianna Failer who actually did get to go for a spin in a Prison van) were in no small way responsible for the giveaway of billions of euro worth of Irish natural resources, by ending the stipulation that ensured the state made some respectable profit off Irish gas.

5) Conflict Resolution? The use of Shannon Airport by the US Army in the 'war on terrorism' happened on Berties watch.

6) There are still HUGE gaps in this mans story (Even Judge Mahon stated that) with regards his personal financnes. A move like this could backfire hugely. Charlie Haughey probably opened a few supermarkets before 'all that' came out.

7)Fianna Fails failed economic policy brought NUIM lecturers and staff to the pickets only 24 hours ago. This is terrible timing.

Given the choice who would you choose, from Ireland, to lecture on conflict intervention?

I'll give you a clue, the building opposite Arts.

Are you aware of how much he is getting paid?

Regardless, yes I do believe the uni should seek the most qualified people to lecture. We'll never improve as a university (and this applies to every Irish uni) if we settle for second best in the interests of saving money. The fact that Bertie is "handsomely paid" is irrelevant.

Your objections to Bertie coming are purely political and you're failing to see that this is about the college wanting the best lecturers to give students the best education.

• Advertisement

Best lecturers? Point me to his previous experience in the field of lecturing? Papers he's published? It's a publicity stunt and you know it. Baffling anyone could see it as anything else to be honest!

Advertisement