Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slippers/shoes for a dog

Options
  • 17-11-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hey there folks. Hope you can help me out here.

I've got a dog, she's quite old, about 12 or so I think. Anyways, we've got laminate flooring in the downstairs, and she has a hell of a time trying to get up off the floor. She can manage most times, but her paws can slip. Other times she'll just end up back on the floor. Now some of this is prob because she has arthritis in her hind legs, and is old so her brain doesn't work as it used to.

Are there shoes or slippers out there that would help her grip on the floor. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You can get doggy slippers on the likes of ebay - you could browse and see if any of them have rubber grips like baby paddy shoes do. I know I've seen on the border control programmes in Australia/NZ that their sniffer dogs have special shoes on their front feet (I assume to stop them scratching through things) so there must be something out there.
    Or there are things like these http://www.canine-spirit.com/categories/dog-boots?gclid=CO7AuZPckp4CFVtm4wodhjiGqw
    or https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/dogshoesdogbootsandlegwraps-c-39.html

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Paris poch www.parispooch.ie they have lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

You could also use paw wax or paw spray. Basically either dab her paws into the paw wax or spray the paw spray on and it will give her grip on slippy floors.

People who show use this for their dogs for indoor rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some dogs don't like soft shoes another option would be some cheap mats and place them around the areas where the pooch lies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

They have these in the new Pet Warehouse in Naas. Was there at the weekend and its great value although I didnt see the price on these sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

Where in Nass is the Pet Warehouse? Does it have a website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

If the dog is older and not used to wearing shoes, he or she might not take too kindly to the idea. Even at that, Unless you spend on a good quality set of dog boots, youll just get a set of cheaply made crappy shoes and a dog who refuses to walk in them/chews them off.

I would recommend the Pawz rubber disposable boots as they are very thin so the dog doesnt mind so much (as they can feel the ground through them properly.) Also they come in a pack of 12 so if you lose one you can just replace it from the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Its in the M7 Business Park where BTW and KFM are. I think if you're coming from Dublin its actually the exit after the ball at Naas, signposted Newbridge. Take the exit and then turn right back over the Motorway and its in front of you on the other side. Dont think they have a website just yet.

Those Pawz boots that Molbert mentioned sound great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Molberts wrote: »
    If the dog is older and not used to wearing shoes, he or she might not take too kindly to the idea. Even at that, Unless you spend on a good quality set of dog boots, youll just get a set of cheaply made crappy shoes and a dog who refuses to walk in them/chews them off.

I would recommend the Pawz rubber disposable boots as they are very thin so the dog doesnt mind so much (as they can feel the ground through them properly.) Also they come in a pack of 12 so if you lose one you can just replace it from the pack.
    Thats what I was thinking. But she's fairly easy going, so might not mind either way. Do you know anywhere here that does them?

I'll check out the pet store in Naas, I live close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

my old boy was the same as he got older....i just put cheap mats down and he used them like stepping stones!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

LD 50 wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking. But she's fairly easy going, so might not mind either way. Do you know anywhere here that does them?

here ya go :)

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=pawz+dog+boots&meta=cr%3DcountryIE&aq=f&oq=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Molberts wrote: »
    Ah, thanks. Didn't see it in your sig.:D

Advertisement