Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

diesel in fuel tank

• 17-11-2009 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,
    Need some advice please. Screwed up and put 5.7 liters of diesel in my empty 12 liter tank.I have not started it as I realised my error before I finished fueling. Bike is a Yamaha Xmax 125 fuel injected scooter.

Should I
    (1) siphon out as much as I can and fill it with petrol

(2) trailer it to a mechanic and get him to drain the tank etc.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I think option 2 is a must. I've put a little petrol in my diesel tank by mistake and filled with diesel with no ill affects. As far as I know that's not possible with a petrol engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The important question is did you switch the ignition on ?

And I don't mean start the scooter, just turn the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 slanleat

Thanks for the prompt replies. Nope I did not switch the ignition on as there is usually a whirring sound when I turn the key but before I hit the starter button.......so that would be the injector or the fuel pump priming? I got her home on my trailer .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

slanleat wrote: »
    Thanks for the prompt replies. Nope I did not switch the ignition on as there is usually a whirring sound when I turn the key but before I hit the starter button.......so that would be the injector or the fuel pump priming? I got her home on my trailer .....

Good man, you should be safe so.

Just drain the tank and flush any hoses out with petrol before connecting it back up.

thanks for that.. its dark now and Im hungry :mad:
    Will have a look tomorrow.
    Tks again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd say syphon out as much as you can and then fill it to the brim with petrol and it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I'd say syphon out as much as you can and then fill it to the brim with petrol and it should be fine.
    Don't do that,do this
    Just drain the tank and flush any hoses out with petrol before connecting it back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

dubtom wrote: »
    Don't do that,do this

If you can drain the tank - great. If you can't, syphon is the next best thing.

Unlike putting petrol in a diesel car, which fubar's the fuel injection pumps, as you're introducing a solvent to incompatible seals, putting diesel in a petrol is merely adding an oil, and worse case scenario it'll smoke and chug for a bit, but it won't do any damage.

I've seen both an ST1300 and CB400 accidentally filled with diesel, and in the case of the ST, as much as possible was syphoned, and the rest just brimmed with petrol. Smoked a bit, but by end of the day, all was well. Hell, the lube job might even have helped it ! :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

+1 I filled a Bros up with 2 Euro Diesel before I copped it. Then filled the rest to the top with petrol, was a bit spluttery at first but then was grand.

If it was the other way around IE a petrol in a diesel cage you would be totally fcuked particularly if it had a common rail fuel pump.

Yea petrol in a diesel system is a big fvck up :pac: a small bit of diesel mixed into a tank of petrol should be grand though, the bike won't be running perfect but it'll be grand until the diesel is all used.

• Advertisement

Pumped out the tank , filled it with petrol, started it up let it run for about 15 minutes then took it for a 20 minute run. All seems fine , the acid test will be the commute tomorrow but Confidence is high!Thanks for all the help.

Pumped out the tank , filled it with petrol, started it up let it run for about 15 minutes then took it for a 20 minute run. All seems fine , the acid test will be the commute tomorrow but Confidence is high!Thanks for all the help.

should be grand, the small bit of diesel left would have been used pretty quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

How would petrol fubar a diesel pump seals? Surely the grade of rubber is pretty standard ?

I always though that the higher combustability of petrol in a high compression diesel engine would fcuk the head/bore/pistons/etc. instead ?

No ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TripleXXX

No it will be fine. Once the tank is drained and it starts running you have no pobs.

Advertisement