Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting dollars to euros in Dublin

Options
  • 17-11-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

A friend of mine from the US is coming to Dublin for a week, and she is unable to use an ATM or Credit card to get euros. From what I've read she would get better rates in Ireland, but where should she go?

- Do any particular banks charge lower currency exchange commissions than others?
    - Is there some other (non-bank) place for currency exchange?
    - Is currency exchange without any extra fee possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Ric.ie wrote: »
    A friend of mine from the US is coming to Dublin for a week, and she is unable to use an ATM or Credit card to get euros. From what I've read she would get better rates in Ireland, but where should she go?

The bank, majority of the time.
    - Do any particular banks charge lower currency exchange commissions than others?

Yes. You could try going to your local bank with the cash and if you are a customer they may give it commission free.
    - Is there some other (non-bank) place for currency exchange?

yes lots of places around dublin, but expect to be paying a higher commission and usually and getting a lower rate.
    - Is currency exchange without any extra fee possible?
    Thanks

some bank's have a cap on commission. Some I think charge a max of 12euro on all monies changed

If you do manage to get it commission free it you could then just change a couple of hundred of a time. This way your friend wont have to change their money back and loose on the exchange price.

Advertisement