Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take the heat out of a marniade

Options
  • 17-11-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Quick question,

I'm doing up a marinade and I may have over done it a little on the chillis and paprika. What you reccomend adding to take a bit of the heat out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

what are you marinading?
    if it's chicken, could you add yoghurt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just scale up the rest of the ingredients. There's very little heat in paprika anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cleansheets

If it's a marinade it needs to be stronger than a sauce, I just did steak with chimichurri (not sure of this spelling?!) and you wouldn't eat that marinade raw if your tongue was made asbestos, but cooked it was delicious, my kids loved it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Depending on what it is, I'd go with the yoghurt idea, or maybe coconut milk.

Scaling up would work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Just scale up the rest of the ingredients. There's very little heat in paprika anyway.

This was a smoked paprika which is a bit hotter than regular paprika. I squeezed a bit of lemon juice into it and it did trick. Was marinading chicken, turned out pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sugar or anything sweet will help counteract the heat. Hence the balance in asian cooking of sweet against heat and sour against salt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

duploelabs wrote: »
    Sugar or anything sweet will help counteract the heat. Hence the balance in asian cooking of sweet against heat and sour against salt

Cheers. I'm actually going to attempt a sweet and sour from scratch tonight if I get the time.

Advertisement