Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats on the lens ?

• 17-11-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Real newbie question here, tonight I was taking a few pictures noticed what looks like lens flare... the lens is clean checked before and after. So I'm kinda lost now... is it just lens flare or something else going on ?

6DE38D5E46F6436FBE7652991C4EE97E-800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

hey ur from termonfeckin!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

hey ur from termonfeckin!! :D

Well from Cork like ! But yea living up here now 10yrs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Do you have a UV filter on your lens. I have had similar problems with night shots and filters.
    The solution is to take the filter off if you have one on.

Do you have a UV filter on your lens. I have had similar problems with night shots and filters.
    The solution is to take the filter off if you have one on.

nope should have or not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

just lens flare. did you have a lens hood and do you have a filter on the lens?

• Advertisement

Chorcai wrote: »
    nope should have or not ?

Night shot = no filter :)

DotOrg wrote: »
    just lens flare. did you have a lens hood and do you have a filter on the lens?

50mm lens hood on the list now.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

open up the aperture, the starry lights would suggest that it is closed f/10+??

you wont get such a long exposure time then

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

A Neutral Density filter can also stop lens flare but will increase the exposure time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

Chorcai wrote: »
    Well from Cork like ! But yea living up here now 10yrs :)

nice one, was up there last year at a friends place.. nice part of the country i must say! what a name too lol

• Advertisement

lee_ wrote: »
    A Neutral Density filter can also stop lens flare but will increase the exposure time

Nice one thanks for that tip !

Night shot = no filter :)

Really?

Really?

well, for me it seems to work out better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭WedPhoto

looks like lens flare to me...did you not notice it when you took the photo? through the viewfinder i mean...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think termonfeckin has just been visited by aliens* and you were there to capture it :D I also need to note in my photographic studies of the relationship between termonfeckin and lens flare ;)

I like it. I want to know if you set out to achieve the effect, would you be be to get it?

* very fashionable aliens too

EDIT: The vehicle travelling along the road wasn't an ambulance / firebrigade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It's just internal flare, you'll notice that the flare is just a flipped version of the light trails. Nothing to do to prevent it unfortunately, except maybe shoot with a prime instead of a zoom presuming you were using a zoom. A hood wouldn't do any good because the flare source is in the frame. An ND filter would if anything make it worse, more glass surfaces for light to bounce off ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

I think its just a reflection of the lights on the wet road to be honest! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

dan759 wrote: »
    I think its just a reflection of the lights on the wet road to be honest! :D

Not the white; the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

it might also be the lights from the car going away from you if it came from the left of the shot and not from behind you. If that makes sense......

ie the car that is producing the red streams came from a road that is to the left of the shot as it approached its front lights caused the lens flare so you need a lend hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sheesh wrote: »
    it might also be the lights from the car going away from you if it came from the left of the shot and not from behind you. If that makes sense......

ie the car that is producing the red streams came from a road that is to the left of the shot as it approached its front lights caused the lens flare so you need a lend hood

It's not. If you grab the image and paste it as a layer on top of itself, then rotate that layer 180, with a small bit of jiggery pokery you can make the flare overlay exactly on the streak of the white headlights. IE its internal flare in the lens from the headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

To be honest I think it might be god mooning you.

It's just internal flare, you'll notice that the flare is just a flipped version of the light trails. Nothing to do to prevent it unfortunately, except maybe shoot with a prime instead of a zoom presuming you were using a zoom. A hood wouldn't do any good because the flare source is in the frame. An ND filter would if anything make it worse, more glass surfaces for light to bounce off ...

I used the 50mm prime. Maybe I was facing the car's to much and should be at a differant angle. Will try again tonight if its not lashing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

lee_ wrote: »

Sorry, but I don't think that is correct. Adding glass surfaces can only add to the problem. To take an exposure, a certain amount of light has to get through, an ND filter will just make the exposure longer and will not decrease the amount of light that that ultimately has to get through.

I would check the lens for any greasy smears on the front and rear elements.

Advertisement