Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Can I Do???? :(

Options
  • 17-11-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Began working in a bar (within a hotel) about 2 years ago. About 4 months ago I got removed from the bar by the general manager of the hotel as a result of absolute BS reasons. If truth be told this woman just hates all other females and me in particular (what reason I'll never know!)

Anyways I got transferred to functions so now I work weddings, etc. which I absolutely hate :( I miss the bar so much :( Anyways it's been 4 months now since I got kicked out of the bar and I've been working under the supervision of the bar manager quite a lot recently and he has said to me that I've made a great improvement and that he would like to have me back in the bar but he has stressed that it's not his call, it's the general manager (woman who hates me).

Day before yesterday I received a call from one of the new managers asking if i could cover one of the barmens shifts as he injured himself so I said I'd do all three to which he was delighted and thanked me very much. (So at this point I was delighted cuz his shifts were in the bar)

Next morning I get a phonecall from the bar manager saying that the shifts have been cancelled as the manager that phoned me should have been informed that I wasn't allowed to work in the bar and he apologised to me saying that it was an embarrassment for everyone the mistake which had been made.

I was in work that evening and one of my closest friends from the bar was on her lunch break with me and she told me that the general manager stormed into the bar that morning and gave out lingo to the bar manager for having me on the roster for those shifts (this obviously happened before he made the phone call to me) to which he explained that it wasn't his fault but only the fault of one of the other managers. She (the general manager) said to the bar manager in front of staff members and my friend in the bar that "that girl is not allowed to work in this bar" despite the actual bar manager wanting me to work in it she's over ruling solely due to the dislike she has for me! I had a meeting with HR this morning so I told them that my friend had told me this and that I was quite upset. I'm a very good worker, I loved my job in the bar and fellow staff have said that I work a hell of a lot harder than people who have recently been employed to work in the bar and that it's unfair. I've been so upset over all of this messing me around that I've found myself uncomfortable going into work and calling my mom almost in tears a lot of the time whilst been in work.

I've been to HR numerous times to complain about it but tonight took the biscuit. My friend from the bar texted me this evening giving out lingo to me saying that she had been called into today with the general manager into HR to discuss what I had CONFIDENTIALLY spoken to HR about this morning!! I couldn't beleive HR had confronted her without my permission! now thats a lost friendship and no doubt other staff memebers are going to view me as a rat now! :(

I genuinely am so upset and right now am dreading the thoughts of going into work on friday (function) for fear staff are going to isolate me now. Can people give me any advice as to what I can do about..

1) HR confronting staff about matters which I had discussed to them confidentially without my permission

2) Working in the bar for a year to be suddenly kicked out for unjustified reasons and not been allowed back in due to a womans disliking for me when the manager of the bar itself said I am capable of moving back into the bar.

Sorry for the long post but I'm really distraught over this and would like to know what my options are.

Ps. I'm an 18 year old girl and my contract is part time

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

that manager sounds like an awful b*tch.. if it wasnt for her u wudnt be in this position

as for advice, uv asked the wrong person im afraid, sorry!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pathan_89

that manager sounds like an awful b*tch.. if it wasnt for her u wudnt be in this position

as for advice, uv asked the wrong person im afraid, sorry!:o

Thanks anyways, the way she treats me is unbeleivable :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

It really depends on what you did to be kicked out of the bar. Something that you might think is unjustified may be very justified from a business point of view, so without knowing that, I can't comment on it.

As for HR discussing things with the GM, were you explicit in telling HR that you wanted confidentiality? Perhaps owing to the number of times you spoke with them about her, they thought of talking her directly to try to see how they could solve the issue. That's how resolution usually begins. HR aren't really meant to be there to just listen to complaints, they're meant to actively do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pathan_89

It really depends on what you did to be kicked out of the bar. Something that you might think is unjustified may be very justified from a business point of view, so without knowing that, I can't comment on it.

As for HR discussing things with the GM, were you explicit in telling HR that you wanted confidentiality? Perhaps owing to the number of times you spoke with them about her, they thought of talking her directly to try to see how they could solve the issue. That's how resolution usually begins. HR aren't really meant to be there to just listen to complaints, they're meant to actively do something about it.

That's very embarrassing, i replied to this under my real name on this site! If anyone saw it please keep it to yourself as I'd like this to remain anonymous. Thanks :)

To answer your question BroomBurner, a woman walked out on me without paying her bill, not as a result of the service (as I remember distinctly looking after her well) but because some people are very sly without paying their bill, the amount of walk outs we get is unreal.

This has happened other staff numerous times though yet they haven't been told to leave the bar

As for the HR comment, I understand you completely but surely they should have asked me if it was ok to confront the girl who I gave as a witness? I did not ask them if the meeting I had with them was confidential, just assumed :o Hope that doesn't go against me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is the general manager's name Connie by any chance?

Sounds incredibly like an ex manager I had whilst working as a night porter in a hotel in Galway. Afraid my solution was to **** her out of it from a height in front of the bar staff and regulars before walking out. Best bollicking I ever dished out and won me a standing ovation from the regulars but jobs were much easier to come by back then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement