Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive 100 replacements

• 17-11-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Post your recommendations for movies to fill any of the democratically vacated spots here.

No replace X with Y or discussion, just the movie and preferably an imdb link :D and post a thanks to the movie you'd like to take one of the vacant spots. You can thank as many as you like ;)

I'll start with the one mentioned in the 2nd discussion thread:

drag me to hell (2009)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

MudSkipper wrote: »
    Post your recommendations for movies to fill any of the democratically vacated spots here.

No replace X with Y or discussion, just the movie and preferably an imdb link :D and post a thanks to the movie you'd like to take one of the vacant spots. You can thank as many as you like ;)

I'll start with the one mentioned in the 2nd discussion thread:

drag me to hell (2009)
    And Another mentioned earlier:
    Salem's Lot (1979)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Actually scratch the 'thanks' button idea........ after all 100 have been discussed, we'll do a seperate multiple choice hidden poll with entries from this thread to determine the rightful replacements.

Also means we can have bit of banter about them too ;)

Having read stephen kings book many moons before seeing the made for tv movie... salem's lot seems a poor adaptation (like most SK's flicks).

Not seen drag me to hell yet so will queue it up :D

/Yeeh zombies, what am i doing on boards at 11pm :eek: Time to stick on another oldie (aint they the bestest!) tonight my choice is between pit and the pendulum or theatre of blood............ hmmmmmmmm choices, choices :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Drag me to Hell to be put on the list please!..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Decuc500

There's not enough Argento on the list!

I would put forward Deep Red (1975) or as someone mentioned on another thread the great slasher Tenebre (1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Spoorloos (1988)

Story of a Dutch couple whose holidays are interrupted when the girl is abducted from a roadside fore-court, and the guy's subsequent search for the kidnappers. The villain of the piece really pushes this into the realm of the horrifying!

+1 for Tenebre

In The Mouth Of Madness (1994)

Maybe I'm only putting this one forward as it's the only vaguely Lovecraftian movie I've seen that isn't awful? It's not a bad movie, unsure if it's really top 100 stuff though - still, it's a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Forgot about this during the nominations, one of my favourite King adaptations.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

beans wrote: »
    In The Mouth Of Madness (1994)

Maybe I'm only putting this one forward as it's the only vaguely Lovecraftian movie I've seen that isn't awful? It's not a bad movie, unsure if it's really top 100 stuff though - still, it's a suggestion.

I know what you mean - considering how excellent Lovecraft's writing is, the film adaptations have mostly been pretty shonky. And I say that as someone who enjoyed Reanimator and Dagon for what they were. Dagon in particular was promising, but wasn't as good as the material could have been.

To be honest I think my favourite Lovecraft film has actually been The Call Of Cthulhu by the H P Lovecraft Historical Society. Not sure if it deserves a place on the list, but it would be nice to see some recognition of Lovecraft's influence on horror as a whole.

" August Underground's Mordum" as suggested by nedtheshed for original place 88

and gwoemul, aka the host as mentioned in the discussion thread

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Can't believe it didn't make it yet, The Hitcher. Classic eighties horror!

So the replacement list so far (just to keep everything going over the pages):

Drag Me To Hell
    Salem's Lot
    Deep Red
    Tenebre
    Spoorloos
    In The Mouth Of Madness
    The Call Of Cthulu
    The Host
    August Underground's Mordum
    Paranormal Activity
    The Hitcher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

This might be a little left field (as our yank friends might say) ...but I'd like to suggest Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, 1937.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think i might wait till the list is done before making any recomentations. But I think any that I do make will be new films. I do like to wave a flag for new films, often times I think they get over looked.

But I think any that I do make will be new films. I do like to wave a flag for new films, often times I think they get over looked.
    :confused:

You can't get any newer than Drag Me To Hell and Paranormal Activity and 1408, The Host and The Call of Cthulu were only done in the past 5 years..

trustno1 wrote: »
    :confused:

You can't get any newer than Drag Me To Hell and Paranormal Activity and 1408, The Host and The Call of Cthulu were only done in the past 5 years..
    I think spooky was just pointing out that he will be nominating more recent films as opposed to the classics some people in the long run may be inclined to offer up, due to his own personal taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I wanna put forward Contamination and Chopping Mall - Where shopping can cost you an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Looking at the voting so far, it seems we only have one elimination (Scream 2) and a tied vote (Idle Hands 6 v 6).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I just found a hum-dinger of a movie that I think should certainly be in here - it's called "Dellamorte Dellamore" or "Cemetery Man" as the U.S. release is called.

Rupert Everett, zombies; it's dark, touching, funny and atmospheric as hell. Highly recommended, for what it's worth.

"You're supposed to be setting a good example, now get back to your coffin immediately"

edit - I wouldn't want to throw any of my nominations, but I would demote 'L'Interieur' for this. It's a masterpiece, as compared to a quite well-executed movie. It tickles me just right.

carbonkid wrote: »
    Chopping Mall - Where shopping can cost you an arm and a leg.

that name just put a smile on my face this morning anyways.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

beans wrote: »
    I just found a hum-dinger of a movie that I think should certainly be in here - it's called "Dellamorte Dellamore" or "Cemetery Man" as the U.S. release is called.

Rupert Everett, zombies; it's dark, touching, funny and atmospheric as hell. Highly recommended, for what it's worth.

"You're supposed to be setting a good example, now get back to your coffin immediately"

Its good isn't it? Like a lot of films from that staple of Italian horror directors it looks fantastic which sets the atmosphere immediately. Pity most horror these days don't go try so hard in the cinematography stakes.
    I was actually going to nominate it for the 100 but instead chose The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue as its is more of an out and out horror, Dellamorte Dellamore has some pretty weird humour moments. Everett was a revelation to me though, if he hadn't "come out" I bet he would have far more leading roles in films.

Drag Me To Hell
    Salem's Lot
    Deep Red
    Tenebre
    Spoorloos
    In The Mouth Of Madness
    The Call Of Cthulu
    The Host
    August Underground's Mordum
    Paranormal Activity
    The Hitcher
    Contamination
    Chopping Mall
    Dellamorte Dellamore

This is our list so far and I'd like to add Hatchet to the mix too. Cracking little film, nothing original or anything but great entertainment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Id like to propose Laid to Rest as a replacement.It may not be an original premise but damnit its so well doen and has some outstanding effects it deserves a mention.

Can I also add Dead Snow?

just a thought i had....
    towards the end of the list the last 30 or 40 there was a lot of peeps posting or not voting on films they had not seen. Just makes me wonder if these films deserve a place on the list of almost no one on this forum has seem them should the films be on this list.
    Ill have to look back but im wondering if there were any films that were not voted on at all either for or against should they be on this list and who recomended them in the first place. When I get time, IE when work is quite, ill go back and take a look.

ive nothing agianst films on the list I havent seen my self, infact I want to add those movies to my must see list, just wondering if we have films on here for no good reason at all.

Spooky, Almost all films received at least a third of all votes (either for or against) Most polls got around 15 votes so at least 5 people would have seen each movie :)

As you can see in my opening post in this thread only a handful of movies received less than that and those have all been included in the showdown vote :D

Advertisement