Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Betting against your team

• 17-11-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

I don't understand how some people do this. I know times are hard and you like to gamble a bit but don't you have any regrets for betting against the team you supposedly support?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If I think it is profitable I don't care whe is playing I will back it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Never done it myself, but a friend of mine rationalizes it by saying:

"If you bet against your team and your team lose, then you just won money so it softens the blow. If your team wins your delighted so losing money isnt that bad."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

FatherTed wrote: »
    I don't understand how some people do this. I know times are hard and you like to gamble a bit but don't you have any regrets for betting against the team you supposedly support?

I have a friend who does this, his justification is that if his team wins he's happy and if they lose at least the money is some consolation.

<EDIT>Beat me to it MikeyT</EDIT>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

do you gamble Ted ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Headshot wrote: »
    do you gamble Ted ?

Only when I go to Vegas or Foxwoods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Couldn't do this myself - would spoil the game for me.

I wouldn't know who to cheer for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

"If you bet against your team and your team lose, then you just won money so it softens the blow. If your team wins your delighted so losing money isnt that bad."

Thats an indication of a.. i dunno what the word would be, maybe less comitted to the cause fan??
    I find little consolation from seeing United or Ireland lose and i dont see how money would somehow, soften the blow.

Suppose it depends how importantly you value money and how little you value sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Betting on or against the team you support doesn't take away from your support of the team.

I mean does betting on them make you more of a fan?

Sometimes depending on the team you support it would be stuid not to,

In many accumulators i have bet against my team simply because they were playing a far superior team.

They are 2 separate things in my opinion anyways, don't go losing sleep over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Can't do it. For me it clouds the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I reckon that its different depending on who your team is. Personally I have frequently bet against my English team, League 1, managerless and couldn't pass some of the value in backing against them. It has been pretty profitable to date. I don't think that it clouds a game at all, its not like it is making any difference to the outcome of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Betting on or against the team you support doesn't take away from your support of the team.

I mean does betting on them make you more of a fan?

Sometimes depending on the team you support it would be stuid not to,

In many accumulators i have bet against my team simply because they were playing a far superior team.

They are 2 separate things in my opinion anyways, don't go losing sleep over it.

I know I know, I just would not get consolation if my team lost but i won money betting against them.
    If i had money of liverpool beating united, Id be absolutely gutted because united lost, I would get no consolation from winning money.. so yes,they are 2 separate things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Thing is that most people would frequently know a lot more information about their own team compared to other clubs. So if my beloved super Leeds are decimated by injuries or have put of out a rubbish side for some Johnson's Paint Trophy (tears) match, I would have no problem betting against them.

Win win situation for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I never bet against Dublin GAA or Chelsea, never...

I have bet against some other teams that I would have a soft spot for in other sports, but I would never bet against Dublin or Chelsea, ever. I couldn't bring myself to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

It can be tough to bet against your own team but if it's going to win you money, then by all means do.

Needless to say, as a Newcastle fan, I barely ever bet against my team, especially in this league anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

DazMarz wrote: »
    I never bet against Dublin GAA or Chelsea, never...

I have bet against some other teams that I would have a soft spot for in other sports, but I would never bet against Dublin or Chelsea, ever. I couldn't bring myself to do so.

Agreed. Well not about the Dublin part just the Chelsea part. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Nope I couldn't do it, it demands a head v heart thinking which I'm not able for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Betting with the heart is a mugs game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not a chance I'd ever bet against Shels, very very rarely bet on them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

During the World Cup next year I will bet on almost every game, and sometimes numerous times during the game. Often well before the end of the game my bets are settled as I have both bet and laid a team. Very few games are boring.

Some people will say they won't bet on the World Cup because Ireland are not in it (assuming they don't make it tomorrow against France.)

My guess is that people who are not regular betters get very emotional when making a bet and will bet to support a team. That does not make sense. When they do bet they take poor value (low odds). England are always about 5/1 to win the World Cup because of the amount of patriotic money bet in England.

I have a bet on Ireland to win the World Cup at 340/1. They won't win it but if they qualify tomorrow their price will drop and I can sell the bet at a good profit.

Does that mean I won't be cheering them if they are playing in the finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv betted on ireland not to score against france. Do i feel guilty? No because i let my head rule over heart when it comes to betting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

-ev to bet against United so I never have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm sure a lot of people that say they don't have no problem picking a rival forward who is playing against them in Fantasy Football.

Same difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He's right. The two occasions I remember doing it were the 2-0 Man utd victory over Chelsea after Jose left and the 4-0 Holland victory at Landsdowne. I was happy that I won money and I was sad that my team lost but overall I was probably slighty happier than sad. One game doesn't make a season normally but one big bet can.

If anything betting on your own team is worse. Losing money when your team fails to win a big game is absolutely crushing and I'm never doing it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Obviously ive posted in recent days that this is something I do on a regular basis.

I'm not a big time gambler, but I do put money on the footie and golf, and I do this from the start of the seasons all the way through. Its a personal achievement to come out with profit and in the green.

You have to be intelelgenet and sensible. I'm not a die hard fan, I can see both sides of a coin and I'm not stupidly ignorant to critisms at my team.

I dont support any premier league team so its not so bad for me. I'm a Leeds fan, but in the past I've bet against them, because its just the logical outcome.

The same with Ireland. Only a fool would put money soley on ireland to win. Its not being more of a supporter, and its not me being a traitor of some sorts.

I had France to win Saturday and them to win Wedensday, and put heavy money on them ( by my term heavy) because it is just the logical outcome. However odds are so good on this game, I have money on Ireland to win last saturday, and I have money on them tonight to win, with the odds I'm getting, either way I'm winning money and not making a loss.

"I know times are hard and you like to gamble a bit but don't you have any regrets for betting against the team you supposedly support?"

I'm not being elitist in my view, but someone who goes in and bets soley on their team isnt a gambler, and doesnt know anything about gambling. I've seen it so many times. When I was placing my bet for France to win I had two elderly men go mad at me, and when I asked what they bet, they bet Ireland to win, with hefty money, thats not supportive, thats retarded.

I remember two years ago having Leeds and Doncaster in the play offs, I bet against my team, because I didnt feel it was happening. I was gutted of course, and no money was going to make it better, but it was the smart play.

I also bet for Leeds to be relegated from the premiership when it happend, it was the smart play, I was distraught when it happend, but you have to be able to tear yourself from stupid mind clouding passions when your gambling money.

I'd argue the point that if your the type of fan who doesnt want to hear any negetivity, or cant accept your going to lose or that sort of thinking, you shouldnt be walking into a bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Just bet against your team.They lose,money for you.They win,3 points:D..Win win situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

potentially on a game I am not watching, not on a live game would ruin it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Couldn't really do it, sure I'd back Man U or Chelsea in games, but not against Liverpool. The thought of ever backing Drogba or Rooney to score 1st against Liverpool fills me with disdain.

• Advertisement

kida wrote: »
    potentially on a game I am not watching, not on a live game would ruin it

It for me actually makes some games unbelievably tense and exciting.

Games I wouldnt normally care about like a Spurs blackburn game or Stoke and Wolves, become incredibly tense and important.

On big games, with bets, it becomes an absolute rush :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

TheDoc wrote: »
    It for me actually makes some games unbelievably tense and exciting.

Games I wouldnt normally care about like a Spurs blackburn game or Stoke and Wolves, become incredibly tense and important.

On big games, with bets, it becomes an absolute rush :D

we are talking about your own team not any match

kida wrote: »
    we are talking about your own team not any match

Making a point in example.

I remember Leeds playing Arsenal and I put a rather silly bet on Leeds to win. It would keep the team in the premiership and would hand the title to United. ( if im not mistaken in my memory)

Harry Kewell hit the net and had me turn a table in excitement, Leeds stayed up and I netted a nice little lump sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

RasTa wrote: »
    -ev to bet against United so I never have.

Usually the same for me unless the rare occasion there is obvious value backing against them like the champions league final last year where barca where too good a price to resist.
    It is a win win situation as mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fans shouldnt do it, players either (gary dempsey looking at you).

but on occasion this season Pats have been favourites to win a game and having been to almost all of them this season i know a bookie somewhere has messed up and is giving 2-1 on Cork or someone to win in richmond.

So it comes to 1. Knowing full well your team is **** and going to lose. 2. Winning money off it as the bookie doesnt know 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I try to not bet for or against teams that I support, it makes it more difficult to make a rational decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i've backed against the pool 3 times this yr and won twice. lyon @ 4/1, sunderland @ 7/1 & giggs to score 1st @ 16/1. doesnt bother me in the slightest. they were in a right slump so i figured i'd at least try a gamble and it paid off. happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

To those people who say they would never bet on the opposition when their team is playing

If the other team are better and I offer 10,000/1 the other team and you can bet as much as you want ...... :rolleyes:

Advertisement