Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITD...Help infected USB's?

• 17-11-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey...

Cut a v long story short after getting a second virus on a second USB in the space of 3 weeks :(:( Can ITD help with these things? As you can imagine don't want to bring UL system down around me as well as saving some files and folders on infected stick

Any knowledge on this area at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Badaulname

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Unless things have changed since I left UL, all computers used Symantec Corporate antivirus.

Could you please elaborate on your 'infected' USB stick? What files are on it? How do you know it is infected? What messages, etc have given you an indication that it is infected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

My one has a virus on it too after I used it in the library yesterday- I've backed up everthing, but it's still kind of a pain.

Now time to destroy it.

Same happened to me yesterday. Me and another lad got it in one of the B2 labs. We couldnt do a presentation over it as it wouldnt let us open up a power presentation in another PC. Its on my computer at home and its very annoying. AVG did feck all, clamwin did feck all. Someone else tried norton and that did nothing. Kapersky did the job tho i was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

Had the same problem after using my USB stick on the CSIS computers.

Nod32 got rid of it for me :), annoying nonetheless though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

K-Ren wrote: »
    My one has a virus on it too after I used it in the library yesterday- I've backed up everthing, but it's still kind of a pain.

Now time to destroy it.

hold down the shift button and plug usb into a pc, wait 30 secs and let go of shift

find out what letter the drive is (check in stat... my computer)
    goto start
    click on run
    type in Cmd and press OK
    in the new dos window type in the drive letter fallowed by a colon ie
    e:
    at the e:\> prompt type ....

attrib autorun.inf -s -h
    del autorun.inf

remove and reconnect the drive and your done (unless the virus is on your pc too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 badaulname

Unless things have changed since I left UL, all computers used Symantec Corporate antivirus.

Could you please elaborate on your 'infected' USB stick? What files are on it? How do you know it is infected? What messages, etc have given you an indication that it is infected?

Well this spanking brand new memory stick was working fine (after getting rid of another that was infected) until I stuck it in a computer in Schumann. Practising a presentation for about half hour then all of a sudden virus warnings flahing up with a new screen blocking everything saying secuity alert and down on right hand side the little bubble warning popped up saying security breach!

Following day chanced it on a computer in KBS (I REALLY needed a file) and got it open and there were duplicate foreign files on it. And another warning appeared w32 silly Virus had been quarantined! So now have a new USB and just resaved everything from public folders! Strange thing is when I scanned USB for virus it kept coming up clean even though I could see there foreign files on it....best off getting new one me thinks!

Advertisement