Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember this bar?

Options
  • 17-11-2009 10:16pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For a friend :pac:
    It looked really cheap and nasty, I think it was or was close to the macaroons, the wrapper was really papery. I think the packaging was mostly white coloured, but with green stripes or checks or something.

We've discovered that it's not the mint crisp as a shop where I work sells mint crisps and macaroons, unless they've changed the mint crisp wrapper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

there was a kalippo or kalipso or something like that but it was nothing near or like a macaroon. It was really hard and toffee like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

peanuthead wrote: »
    there was a kalippo or kalipso or something like that but it was nothing near or like a macaroon. It was really hard and toffee like

Yep you're dead right. Kalipso I think it was called. They were one of my favourite bars when I was younger. Used to break the teeth off you!

And I can see what the post means by being like a Macaroon. In terms of packaging, they looked quite similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Love Kalipso's

Found them in my local Spar a couple of weeks ago.
    Bought way too many of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Irishshin wrote: »
    Love Kalipso's

Found them in my local Spar a couple of weeks ago.
    Bought way too many of them!

No way!!! They still exist? :eek:

And there's no such thing as too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

They're made by some place in Walkinstown or Tallaght I think; and you can buy all of those 'retro' choccie bars in that 'EuroWorld' shope (or whatever it's called) just inside the entrance to The Square on the left. Which entrance you ask? - ummm, it's the - ummmm - the one that you'd walk into if you're coming from the hospital (nearest the LUAS stop)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Damn!!! :eek:

Them jaw breaker bars still around...... ohhhhh now I want one!!!!

On that note, what's the hardest bar/sweet you've ever eaten? Those honeycomb bars are the hardest that I can think of right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Like the 'Big Time' bars? (in response to question above)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Saw those Kalipso bars in a shop in Sligo the other day too. Never knew they were still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

remember the choc toffee mouse,really hard
    as bars go i have two favs,telex and number 1 UNITED bars,massive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,985 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

star-pants wrote: »
    Like the 'Big Time' bars? (in response to question above)
    'Big Time' Bars were very similar but the toffee used was slightly different as it was a more buttery toffee compared to the Calipso.

Big Times FTW!

Quazzie wrote: »
    'Big Time' Bars were very similar but the toffee used was slightly different as it was a more buttery toffee compared to the Calipso.

Big Times FTW!

Sorry I meant for the 'hardest bar' question :)

I dont remember what these Time bars looked like, but the name is very familiar. THere's nothing on faithful Google either (...now unfaithful)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yeah Kalipsos were good!

Anyone remember Touchdowns? 10p back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,985 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kevster wrote: »
    I dont remember what these Time bars looked like, but the name is very familiar. THere's nothing on faithful Google either (...now unfaithful)
    Never doubt Google

bigtimebig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Quazzie wrote: »
    Never doubt Google

bigtimebig.jpg

lol

Anyone remember GIGGLE bars?

Would love one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    Yeah, exactly! It's because they're so crap that they're so nice. Bought a Macaroon for the first time in YEARS a few weeks ago. It was amazingly good :)
    Plowman wrote: »

Woppa bars, they were yummy. Spearmint or Cola flavour. My sister and I used always get the spearmint one and my brother the cola, so I developed this thing in my head that mint was for girls and cola was for boys :o

Woppa bars, they were yummy. Spearmint or Cola flavour. My sister and I used always get the spearmint one and my brother the cola, so I developed this thing in my head that mint was for girls and cola was for boys :o

Woppa bars? - Were they the ones you use to have to bend and twist with your teeth in order to break apart? You'd spend nearly a feckin hour eating one (not literally).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Same!

Kevster wrote: »
    Woppa bars? - Were they the ones you use to have to bend and twist with your teeth in order to break apart? You'd spend nearly a feckin hour eating one (not literally).

Yeah, they were quite wide and flat and chewy.
    EI111 wrote: »
    Same!

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

http://www.urneychocolates.com/wilton.htm

these?? there from robt-roberts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

mint crisp wrappers have changed...now white used to be green and made of paper.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I took a tooth out on a big time bar when i was a kid, those things were lethal! :D

Remember secret bars? They had this cardboard insert in the packet, a kind of chocolate shell around em and a hazelnut or something in the middle. Loved them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I took a tooth out on a big time bar when i was a kid, those things were lethal! :D

Remember secret bars? They had this cardboard insert in the packet, a kind of chocolate shell around em and a hazelnut or something in the middle. Loved them...

Wow I think I know what you're talking about. I remember the last one I ever had, it fell on the ground :(. Loved them... I think.

raw-1188561644.jpg

Not a million miles away from a Mars delight

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

These were the best bars ever, I really wish they'd be back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Touchdowns and Stingers and Roy of the rovers bars. Cant beat em.
    Also the Postman Pat sweets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yep you're dead right. Kalipso I think it was called. They were one of my favourite bars when I was younger. Used to break the teeth off you!

And I can see what the post means by being like a Macaroon. In terms of packaging, they looked quite similar.

Actually, I did break a front tooth on a Kalipso bar when I was a kid :(

Advertisement