Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paquiao vs Mayweather fight

• 17-11-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

living in ireland and would like to go to the above fight. would like to know if anyone has got a ticket or tickets for a previous fight in the mgm grand las vegas and how they went about gettin one. checked the mgm website but not sure if i can buy straight from. thanks much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

0neo8 wrote: »
    living in ireland and would like to go to the above fight. would like to know if anyone has got a ticket or tickets for a previous fight in the mgm grand las vegas and how they went about gettin one. checked the mgm website but not sure if i can buy straight from. thanks much

To be honest, I would think it is no different than booking tickets for any event, sporting or otherwise. I would imagine that GoldenBoypromotions will be heavily involved with this bout and maybe an email to them to get details will help you

http://www.goldenboypromotions.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Have I missed something??!! so this fight has been confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

No, but it's inevitable. The OP just wants to know what to do when the fight is announced. I want to go myself but I would have thought it would be impossible to get tickets?

• Advertisement

Ah ok, my heart skipped a beat when I read it first.. 14 thousand the MGM holds I think, it would be neither cheap or easy to get tickets but not impossible I would imagine. What a prospect it is.. Seen as Ireland won't get to the World Cup watching Pacman give FM his first defeat would be a real alternative for a sporting holiday. Keep us posted OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

UK sports travel company best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

I am so looking forward to this yet scheduled fight!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Ah ok, my heart skipped a beat when I read it first.. 14 thousand the MGM holds I think, it would be neither cheap or easy to get tickets but not impossible I would imagine. What a prospect it is.. Seen as Ireland won't get to the World Cup watching Pacman give FM his first defeat would be a real alternative for a sporting holiday. Keep us posted OP.

Have some faith Reginald!! Ire 2 - 1 tomorrow eve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well tickets for ufc100 at the grand didn't go on sale to the public so i expect the same IF and WHEN the pacman and mayweather get at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Wait till the fight is announced ,AND BOOK into the grand and look up special events at the time .;) get them as part of packet not easy but ....................

The PPV figures are in for Pac-Cotto and it has reportedly done more than 2
    million buys, generating 120 million dollars. That's a heck of a lot more than Floyd's amount vs. Marquez. Now, this will be a real bargaining tool for team Pacman and should be. Floyd can't dictate all that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

I'm starting to wonder if this fight will come off at all. Floyd is saying that Manny hasn't called him out but I have yet to hear Floyd call Manny out. Also, we all know that Mayweather won't fight unless he get's the lion's share of the purse. I have a weird feeling that too many factors will get in the way of this fight going ahead.

f1dan wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if this fight will come off at all. Floyd is saying that Manny hasn't called him out but I have yet to hear Floyd call Manny out. Also, we all know that Mayweather won't fight unless he get's the lion's share of the purse. I have a weird feeling that too many factors will get in the way of this fight going ahead.

I think it will. The fans will not tolerate seeing either of have another easy win. The PPV figures will smash all existing records. Roach has called out Floyd and Floyd said that he would easily beat Manny. The only thing in the way is money. Apparently Floyd wants a 65-35 deal in his favor. They need to get it to 55-45 I think. Don't worry, it will happen and will most likely turn into a trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

Why should there be a 55-45 cut in favour of any of the fighters.Bob Arum proposed a 45-45 cut with the winner getting the extra 10%.No news from camp Mayweather yet.That is as fair a deal as can be done i Think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Ticketmaster US, set the alarm and get up early !!

horizon26 wrote: »
    Why should there be a 55-45 cut in favour of any of the fighters.Bob Arum proposed a 45-45 cut with the winner getting the extra 10%.

So basically 55-45.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They should split it 40/40, and whoever wins gets the other 20.

If Mayweather is so confident then he shouldn't mind:)

f1dan wrote: »

Pac wants Mayweather.

http://thenationalfist.com/news/manny-pacquiao-wants-floyd-mayweather/

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

I'd also be interested in going to this if it comes off. never been to Vegas and attening a huge fight like this would be a life long dream.

What would be the price for nose bleeds if the tickets were even released (if the fight was even signed) that is....any idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I presume you will get them through ticketmaster just keep the lowdown on when they go on sale. Been to Vegas for UFC 100 and the craic with Ticketmaster is you have to collect the tickets at the box office over there as they don't ship outside US & Canada. Definately going if it doesn't fall either in April or May 2010 due to Exams.

The fight mightn't be in Vegas. They said the demand would be so high they could need somewhere like Yankees Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

They should split it 40/40, and whoever wins gets the other 20.

If Mayweather is so confident then he shouldn't mind:)

Exactly what I was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

How much would the tics cost do ye think? I mean you'd surely be talking €300 for the cheapest ones ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I'd say $300 - $500 for a decent seat and that's the cheapest bar the nose bleeds. For the floor your talking $1k and more giving the demand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

walshb wrote: »
    The PPV figures are in for Pac-Cotto and it has reportedly done more than 2
    million buys, generating 120 million dollars. That's a heck of a lot more than Floyd's amount vs. Marquez. Now, this will be a real bargaining tool for team Pacman and should be. Floyd can't dictate all that much.

Espn are reporting its closer to 1.25m and added to Mayweathers numbers its the first time since 1999 that two ppv have generated at least 1m buys in the same calender year.
    Also the manny numbers are helped surely by the massive following for Cotto.

Ross Greenburg president of HBO sports has said the fight must happen and this is the man with all the money.He reckons it could be set for early 2010.

raven136 wrote: »
    Espn are reporting its closer to 1.25m and added to Mayweathers numbers its the first time since 1999 that two ppv have generated at least 1m buys in the same calender year.
    Also the manny numbers are helped surely by the massive following for Cotto.

Ross Greenburg president of HBO sports has said the fight must happen and this is the man with all the money.He reckons it could be set for early 2010.

That's correct, I read that today. I was going on "reported" figures. Jumpin' the gun I was.

I see Paddy Power has Floy at 4/7 and Pac at 5/4. The fight to my knowledge
    has not been anounced, so they (Power) must be getting ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I see Paddy Power has Floy at 4/7 and Pac at 5/4. The fight to my knowledge
    has not been anounced, so they (Power) must be getting ready

If thats the odds I'd be lumping on Pacman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

you ad practically every1 in the world with the slightest bit of interest in the sport will want to go to it! will be tough i would imagine but itd be feckin worth it!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

I mentioned a few weeks back that if Matt hatton got the nod over mbaye then a mayweather fight could become a possibility. Its nohing more than a runour but apparently there have been talks. With the result of the fight I dont know. If Hatton had the ibo title it would sell it more to the public and justify the fight a bit more even though most fans would know the score.
    Personally i like the notion of Mayweather vs Mosely/berto and pac vs foreman, then pac vs mayweather alll going well. And if pac won at 154 and beat mayweather then would he chance pavlik in say 18 months time? I reckon he would. Thats unless he loses to floyd in which case is there enough on the table for floyd vs pavlik factoring in the whole pbf/arum issues?
    Food for thought.

Jeez, joepenguin, give little Pacman a break. Pavlik?:eek:

And if he beats Pavlik, he's going to target one of the Klitschko's......

But seriously, I'm pretty sure Freddie Roach said that 147 would be the highest he would go but as we all know, money talks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

haha imagine little manny fightin one of the klitshkos.. seriously tho, hes come a long way to 147 already.. anythin higher and i think hel be out of his depths a bit, but u never know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

From Gareth Davies on Twitter
    "There are whispers behind the scenes of Manny Pacquiao possibly facing Yuri Foreman before F Mayweather and 8th title in 8th division"

Jeez, joepenguin, give little Pacman a break. Pavlik?:eek:

Nah, i then want to see him in with Miranda, Dawson, Huck, Haye and round his career off with fighting both Klitschkos in one night. Bar a tyson-pac fight there wouldnt be much left to do :P

lol. But in proper p4p pretend/what if they were in the same weight class tyoe fights they would all make for very good fights.
    As for Pavlik if Pac could get by Foreman at 154 and Mayweather say at that weight then it wouldnt be the strangest a move to go to 160 to fight Pavlik who is fast running out of big fights. Will Williams entertain him after leaving him hanging only to fight someone else? Will Pavlik look all that great anyway. How much of a difference is there between cotto and pav in terms of power?
    This is all hypothetical but all the fights are easy to make. If Pav doesnt look too hot in his next 2 outings and pac has a 154 belt then watch this space!!!

Snags: Would he fight at a catchweight and would people get peed off with these? would mayweather take him at 154 when there is no need? would he even beat mayweather? if he's as good as he was the last few years then i say no. Would Pav b too big? I think so.

Dont listen to what roach said about not going above 147. They also said they wouldnt fight cotto. It could be used as a bargaining tool for any 154 titlist. Make it look like they had no intention and they are the ones been called out. I think anything north of 147 he is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Lol pacquio would take a beating very fast against pavlik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Give him Valuev! He could do with a morale booster after losing his title to Haye

Lol pacquio would take a beating very fast against pavlik

At the minute yes, but if pac was allowed time to properly move up then who knows. After he beat Diaz, he himself reckoned cotto was a step too far. I know Pavlik is pushing his luck a bit but who has pav fought that is anywhere even near the level pac is at?
    Im talking september 2011 or there about.

• Advertisement

joepenguin wrote: »
    At the minute yes, but if pac was allowed time to properly move up then who knows. After he beat Diaz, he himself reckoned cotto was a step too far. I know Pavlik is pushing his luck a bit but who has pav fought that is anywhere even near the level pac is at?
    Im talking september 2011 or there about.

Well, I would back Miranda and Taylor to destroy little Pacman.

Look, Pac is awesome, but 160 lbs vs. Pavlik, who in 2011 will not
    be at 160 lbs, is a step far too far!

But, I would bet on Pac to beat Valuev. That's how useless Valuev is.

I'd rather enjoy potential scraps against Mosley and Floyd to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodgrigez

Interesting comments about possible fights with either Pacman v Pavlik or Mayweather v Pavlik. Both would never happen for different reasons.

However id say Pacman given the chance would fight anyone at any weight. Mayweather on the other doesn't take risks inside the ring or outside (In terms of who he fights). He wouldn't take a chance in steping up to fight Pavlik in a million years as good a fighter as Mayweather is:rolleyes:

Well, I would back Miranda and Taylor to destroy little Pacman.

Look, Pac is awesome, but 160 lbs vs. Pavlik, who in 2011 will not
    be at 160 lbs, is a step far too far!

But, I would bet on Pac to beat Valuev. That's how useless Valuev is.

I'd rather enjoy potential scraps against Mosley and Floyd to be honest!

At the mo they would take pac apart due to size difference and they are borderline world class but none of them are particularly hard to hit and i think thats how pavlik likes his fighters. Pac and mayweather even thought they have very different styles would both confuse pavlik and i honestly dont think he's know what to do with either of them. This is all based on the notion that pavlik would be 160 and floyd/pac has the time to grow into it naturally, not like the floyd-marquez fight.

I personally reckon its a step too far, but not completely out of the question and if he beats foreman for just a belt, what would the lineal world middlweight championship mean to him.

The order would go Bernard Hopkins, Jermain Taylor, Kelly Pavlik, Manny Pacqaiou. I think it would be too tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

NiamhDunk wrote: »

I doubt it but just thinking that it would be a better plan for the fight to go ahead first and then if pac won look towards foreman.

Beating mayweather is a whole lot more important than the wba 154 title. if he loses to mayweather he'd likely still get foreman if he wanted anyway, but if he lost to foreman his stock would fall and rule out mayweather or at least give up a big share of the $$

EDIT: Wouldnt take the vid as confirmation is what i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

WTF? Pacman's going fighting George Foreman???:eek::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭digsy32

There are rumours going round that Pacman V Floyd could be on March 13 before Pacquiao has to contest elections

Manny Pacquiao making second run for elected office in Philippines - ESPN

Pacman continuing his multi-tasking into what could be the biggest year of his boxing life. I really hope he doesnt over-extend himself on this political business because he I'd love to see him trimming PBF. Singing, acting, boxing, now politics, again. Whats wrong with waiting a few years for parliment?? I'm sure Freddie is very amused by this latest news.

Negotiations continue in an attempt to make a fight between Manny Pacquiao, left, and Floyd Mayweather Jr. a reality. (Bullit Marquez / Associated Press; Ethan Miller / Getty Images)

By Lance Pugmire

December 3, 2009

Promoter Bob Arum arrived in the Philippines and expected to start face-to-face talks Wednesday with Manny Pacquiao to try to reach terms for a mega-fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Despite reports Tuesday that Mayweather agreed to terms and that a Pacquiao fight was virtually set, Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach cautioned Wednesday that that idea was premature because the Filipino star hadn't reviewed any contract terms.

Roach, in a telephone conversation from England, said, "Manny believes he should get a 60-40 [purse] split too, because he did better in pay-per-view than Mayweather this year. Manny's the bigger draw."

Roach is referring to the 1.25 million pay-per-view buys for Pacquiao's 12th-round technical knockout of Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14, compared to the 1 million buys for Mayweather's fight against Juan Manuel Marquez in September. Yet Mayweather's December 2007 bout against Ricky Hatton generated more pay-per-view sales than Pacquiao-Hatton in May.

"I'm obviously over here to talk to Manny," Arum said from the Philippines. "At this point, I've got to find out what my fighter wants to do."

By being there, Arum may avoid the drawn-out theatrics that occurred when Pacquiao handlers complicated the negotiations before his Hatton fight. Arum and Roach were kept at arm's length, and several Arum proposals and Hatton offers were met with delayed counterproposals that nearly led Hatton to walk.

Alone, Arum boarded a flight to Manila, where he was to meet with Pacquiao and his business advisors.

"Bob will sit there and walk everybody through it, so Manny has a full grasp of the situation," Arum's lead matchmaker, Bruce Trampler, said. "He has to respect the culture. Everybody will have eaten and had their libations, and then Bob will start talking turkey."

Roach said his agent, Nick Khan, told him "Arum had a [Mayweather] deal together" when he left the U.S.

This could be a game of leverage too. Mayweather's camp may want to appear more receptive to a deal, casting Pacquiao as the one holding up the welterweight super-bout for more money.

Arum revealed only that he has negotiated with Mayweather's designated promoter, Richard Schaefer. Schaefer declined to comment.

Arum and Roach both said they are uncertain whether a Pacquiao-Mayweather bout has to be fought by March 13 because of Pacquiao's planned run for a congressional seat in the Philippines in May. HBO, which will televise the bout on pay-per-view if it occurs, instructed promoters to make the fight on whatever date is possible.

Roach prefers a Pacquiao-Mayweather bout on May 1.

"March 13 is too fast a turnaround," Roach said. "Manny has a broken
    eardrum" suffered in the Cotto fight. "I'd like to have more time. I hope the fight happens, yes, but I want us to be in the best possible shape."

Sports book directors in Las Vegas are already posting odds on the unsigned fight. Jay Kornegay of the Las Vegas Hilton has opened the fight as a pick-'em after two other books split by making Mayweather or Pacquiao nearly 2-1 favorites.

"I love Pacquiao, but people forget how good Mayweather is: He never gets touched and rarely looks like he breaks a sweat," Kornegay said. A Pacquiao-Mayweather fight "is obviously a huge event, and doing it right before [college basketball's] March Madness would be a great time."I

"Mayweather's camp may want to appear more receptive to a deal, casting Pacquiao as the one holding up the welterweight super-bout for more money."

So so true! Floyd would hate to think that folks might think that he really wants the fight. Floyd chases nobody...blah blah blah

• Advertisement
Advertisement