Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paquiao vs Mayweather fight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

akindoc wrote: »
    walsh who said Pac was legally required to do the test?

I'm sure walsh can defend himself but he never stated that it was a legal requirement, that point is not up for debate. What is however is whats really going on here. When someone realises the kind of heights Manny has done in sport it is automatic that it be questioned, that is human nature. After giving this some thought I am convinced is Floyd and his camp stirring it more than anything else. This does not mean Manny is clean but I believe him to be so.

As for your genius remark you are correct it doesn't take a genius to add 2 and 2 and make 7. Things are not always as they seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tbh I think it's shocking to see people making excuses for a guy wanting to avoid drugs testing because of technicalities.

If it was the less likable Mayweather carrying on the same way it would be called a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Bottom Line:

1) This is gamesmanship, simple as. The Mayweather's have sniffed out an opportunity to try and rattle Manny during fight prep, or tarnish Manny's (likely) victory, and they're running with it.

2) Manny isn't refusing to be tested; He's objecting to the stipulations of olympic-style testing. He's even willing to go above and beyond the NSAC requirements in giving a sample 30 days before, and before he even hits the showers after the fight

3) It doesn't matter when the test is done: PED/Steroids can all be tracked in a blood sample MONTHS after they're taken, and HGH can't be tracked by either, making it pointless on that count. Even if he didn't take anythin for this fight, they'd even be able to tell whether he did for Cotto or not. I don't know what everyone (in the know) is gettin their knickers in a twist about.

4) I'm in sheer disbelief that a claim originally (and only) made by Floyd Mayweather Senior (FMS FFS!!!!) is being jumped on so readily. The man goes on like a crack-addict, and is not-to-mention PBF's father. Not someone in the media, not a doctor with any kind of proof, not the NSAC... FMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Why in the world would drug testing "rattle the cage" of a clean athlete!?

Such a naive argument it's unreal tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

pacman has an awful amount of tattoos for someone whos scared of needles.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

keane2097 wrote: »
    Why in the world would drug testing "rattle the cage" of a clean athlete!?

Such a naive argument it's unreal tbh.

It's amazing keane. Floyd is reasonable in wanting fair random drug testing from both of them, yet is being criticized for it. If Pac had just said Yes all along there would be absolutely no problem. Pacman has no problem stipulating 10 million per pound over 147, which Floyd agreed to. There are many many substances out there that athletes use. The only way to GUARANTEE that an athlete isn't using, is random testing. Pacman isn't up for random testing... and considering how miraculous his achievements have been in the past without random testing, you do have to wonder.

Regardless, the basic point stands. Floyd wants fairness with random drug testing. Pacman doesn't.

consultech wrote: »
    Bottom Line:

4) I'm in sheer disbelief that a claim originally (and only) made by Floyd Mayweather Senior (FMS FFS!!!!) is being jumped on so readily. The man goes on like a crack-addict, and is not-to-mention PBF's father. Not someone in the media, not a doctor with any kind of proof, not the NSAC... FMS.

It's not just Mayweather Sr. Many people have expressed concern. It's actually been said by many boxing fans.

Considering the usual NSAC testing procedure is a simple urine test BEFORE and AFTER the fight... there is certainly some room to manouver there...

3) It doesn't matter when the test is done: PED/Steroids can all be tracked in a blood sample MONTHS after they're taken, and HGH can't be tracked by either, making it pointless on that count. Even if he didn't take anythin for this fight, they'd even be able to tell whether he did for Cotto or not. I don't know what everyone (in the know) is gettin their knickers in a twist about.

Dodgy claims there. You cannot know this for sure without being a world class chemist/pharmacist with access to every possible performance enhancing substance on the planet. Who knows what Pac could be using.

Absolute gamesmanship and mind games, to conclude anything else is wrong IMO.

Great fighters will tell you that it is just as important to beat an opponent mentally as well as physically. Indeed having the upper had in a psychogical battle makes the physical battle that bit easier. If you can get insdie the opponents head its the best possible start. The Floyd's know this. Pacman and his team won't be phased by this, nor will they bow down to the requests to go the Olympic route. Why should they move the goalposts now?

Pacman's achievements have been extraordinary but miraclous is overstating it a little, he really is that good end of story.

Lets face it, its not unbelievable to think that the Mayweathers sat down and tried to decide on a plan to get at Pacquiao, and this is their attempt. It's not a real dirty trick or anything lets not blow it out of proportion but nonetheless a stunt is what it is. If its ever proven that Pacman is wrotten I will do a George Hook on it and eat my tie. This fight will happen and I can't wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

walsh who said Pac was legally required to do the test?

Plenty of people have expressed some question marks about his going through the weights with no bother, not just the Mayweathers.

Do you know what the NVAC drug testing procedure is? A urine test before the fight and a urine test after the fight.

If you know anything about performance enhancing drugs, you'll know that that is far from adequate. The long training camp is where the hard work is done and where the drugs will help.

Pac is not comfortable with random tests up to 10 weeks before the fight. He is not legally required to take them, but it doesn't take a genius to see something suspicious here.

Hey, I know well that the testing standards and procedures aren't great in the sport and I do understand how "cheats" work. The fact is that CURRENTLY in this sport, the NSAC do a urinalysis test before and after. This is the rule, applies to all, hence, until it is not a rule, then end of story.

Pacman has gone a step further and agreed to random urine tests, something he didn't have to do

This guy sums it up pretty well

Pretty well if you happen to agree with him that should read. LOL at the room in his house analogy. Thats some deep s"*t there!!

Pretty well if you happen to agree with him that should read. LOL at the room in his house analogy. Thats some deep s"*t there!!

I hope your still LOLing 20 years from now when the fight never happened. You can still defend pacman and say it was floyds fault for wanting fair testing accross the board. or "gamesmanship" in other words.

walshb wrote: »

Pacman has gone a step further and agreed to random urine tests, something he didn't have to do

Where does it say he's agreed to random urine tests?

If so, well why not agree to random blood tests too... hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mrflair

We all know why manny wont take the blood test 30 days before the fight. The subject is not allowed on boards but come on where does he get that power from. Its not wetabix.

It's not just Mayweather Sr. Many people have expressed concern. It's actually been said by many boxing fans.

Floyd Sr. started flapping his meth-hole about it publicly before anyone else. Prove me wrong.

No-one is gonna change their mind on this once they've made it up either way, so we should let it lie.

Let's just watch how things unfold over the next three months. Surprise surprise this will blow over and PBF will fight (and guess what? He won't be buying a weight advantage this time round at $10m per pound, and rightfully so), and the issue will only be brought up again by the Mayweathers should PBF lose.

It is what is being reported, coming from Roach and Arum.

Look, I am big time anti drugs cheats and believe in a really firm approach and penalties. The fact is that the rules are not being broken here. Floyd is creating HIS own rules. That's all well and good, but it means jack sh!t.

Why have rules if they are then not enough, or if a person abides by them, he/she is still criticised. Like I said, if the rule changes, then Pacman should
    abide by the change.

Where does it end? Hoop after hoop after hoop!

PBF wants him to give blood within 48 hours of the fight while he's all the while waiting for a knock on the door to do it. It's unreasonable.

Manny is both spooked by having blood drawn, and believes it makes him weaker (grand if you're walking around at the weight all year round, like guess who).

For someone so vocal on the issue akindoc: I would've thought reading the pertinent quotes by the fighters in any one of the numerous news releases available online would be a good place to start.

Floyd Sr. started flapping his meth-hole about it publicly before anyone else. Prove me wrong.

No-one is gonna change their mind on this once they've made it up either way, so we should let it lie.

Let's just watch how things unfold over the next three months. Surprise surprise this will blow over and PBF will fight (and guess what? He won't be buying a weight advantage this time round at $10m per pound, and rightfully so), and the issue will only be brought up again by the Mayweathers should PBF lose.

Fans and boxing journalists have been wondering about Pacman since the Oscar fight mate. It's been discussed on boxing forums for a long time. Floyd Jr has been saying it for a while himself.

I don't know whether Pacman is using or isn't. But he doesn't fill me with confidence by not agreeing to the test. It's my understanding that the best way to detect HGH is with a blood test. EPO stays in blood for 10-14 days I believe, after that you can't detect it, which makes random testing for that sort of thing a significant deterant.

• Advertisement

It is what is being reported, coming from Roach and Arum.

Look, I am big time anti drugs cheats and believe in a really firm approach and penalties. The fact is that the rules are not being broken here. Floyd is creating HIS own rules. That's all well and good, but it means jack sh!t.

Why have rules if they are then not enough, or if a person abides by them, he/she is still criticised. Like I said, if the rule changes, then Pacman should
    abide by the change.

Where does it end? Hoop after hoop after hoop!

Last time I'll respond to this particular argument because you don't seem to accept the point I've made or other people have.

And that point is that,
    YES, he rules are the rules,
    NO Pacman doesn't legally have to take any other tests,
    BUT the tests are ambiguous and as it stands, Pac could be getting away with using performance enhancing drugs under the current rules which the Mayweathers and everyone else is aware of.

I also have not seen Pac agreeing to the random urine testing from any articals.

Promoter Bob Arum: Mayweather-Pacquiao off; 'Floyd never really wanted the fight'

By David Mayo | The Grand Rapids Press
    December 23, 2009,

Bob Arum, says he and Manny Pacquiao are "going in a different direction."The proposed Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight is off because Mayweather’s camp refused to relent on drug tests via blood rather than urine sampling, promoter Bob Arum said Tuesday night in an exclusive interview with The Press.

Arum said Pacquiao agreed to blood testing before the pre-fight press conference -- typically conducted months before a major fight -- and after the proposed March 13 bout, as well as random urine sampling at any time.

But when Mayweather’s camp insisted on random, Olympic-style blood samples, Pacquiao abandoned plans for the richest fight in history, Arum said.

“We’re going in a different direction,” Arum said. “What I believe is that Floyd never really wanted the fight and this is just harassment of Pacquiao.

“We appeased Mayweather by agreeing to a urine analysis at any time, and blood testing before the press conference and after the fight. Mayweather pressed for blood testing even up to the weigh-in. He knew that Manny gets freaked out when his blood gets taken, and feels that it weakens him. This is just harassment and, to me, just signaled that he didn’t want the fight.”

Arum worked on the negotiations until two weeks ago.

At that point, the CEO of Top Rank Inc. withdrew, and handed over negotiations to the company president and his stepson, Todd duBoef, after the Mayweather camp refused to consider fighting in Dallas.

Two days later, Dec. 12, Mayweather’s adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, disclosed the demand for random, Olympic-style drug testing conducted by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

“This doesn’t bother me because Bob Arum was the smart one,” Arum said. “He pulled away from this negotiation how many weeks ago? Three weeks ago? I knew what was up. I’m not a fool. Then when Schaefer said he wasn’t going to Texas, and so forth, I knew the fight wasn’t going to happen. But I could be wrong and that’s why Todd made a college try.”

Arum said the Mayweather camp’s insistence on blood testing, rather than urine testing, merely was a way to get out of the fight.

“Floyd, to me, is a coward and he’s always been a coward,” Arum said. “Not a physical coward, but a coward because he’s afraid to face somebody who could beat him. And believe me, Manny Pacquiao could beat him. So he’ll go his way, we’ll go our way, and that’ll be fine.

“Manny Pacquiao doesn’t know anything about drugs. This is just typical nastiness by wise guys like (adviser Leonard) Ellerbe and Mayweather. They’re just wise guys. I don’t think Schaefer’s to blame. I think he got sucked in by it.”

Arum said when he learned of the demand for random blood tests, he immediately rejected it.

“Nevada has stringent drug testing, right before the fight and after the fight,” he said. “This is all a bunch of hooey and nonsense. The kind of testing we agreed to was designed, 100 percent, to detect everything.

“Remember, 40 years of fights in Las Vegas and nothing like this has ever come up. If you want more stringent testing, sure, as long as it doesn’t inconvenience and psychologically affect Pacquiao, sure, who cares? They could analyze urine from today until tomorrow, it wouldn’t affect anything. It’s the blood testing close to the fight, while he’s in training, that’s unnecessary. And everybody who knows anything about drug testing will tell you it’s unnecessary.”

Arum said HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg tried to intervene on the testing issue Tuesday, to no avail.

He said he would pursue other possible opponents for Pacquiao, including Yuri Foreman, Paulie Malignaggi, or a third fight with Juan Manuel Marquez.

Malignaggi would be an interesting choice, if only because he has made clear his own suspicions about Pacquiao using performance-enhancing drugs.

Arum said he knows sports fans would be disappointed at the potential disintegration of what could have been the richest fight in history, and the most anticipated fight in decades.

“Sure they’ll be disappointed,” he said. “But they’ve got to understand what’s up. We’re not going to keep appeasing this guy, for no damn reason, especially over something that would affect, psychologically, my fighter. We’re not going to be pushed around by this guy. We’re not going to do
    it.”

PBF wants him to give blood within 48 hours of the fight while he's all the while waiting for a knock on the door to do it. It's unreasonable.

Manny is both spooked by having blood drawn, and believes it makes him weaker (grand if you're walking around at the weight all year round, like guess who).

For someone so vocal on the issue akindoc: I would've thought reading the pertinent quotes by the fighters in any one of the numerous news releases available online would be a good place to start.

What is your point here? It's OK for Manny not to take a blood test 48 hours before the fight because he is "spooked" and "believes it makes him weaker". Well they are certainly good enough reasons then. :rolleyes:So that's why he can only do it 30 days before the fight.

How do you know what weight Pacman walks around at?

Floyd has actually set a great precedent for the sport here.

Promoter Bob Arum: Mayweather-Pacquiao off; 'Floyd never really wanted the fight'

By David Mayo | The Grand Rapids Press
    December 23, 2009,

Bob Arum, says he and Manny Pacquiao are "going in a different direction."The proposed Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight is off because Mayweather’s camp refused to relent on drug tests via blood rather than urine sampling, promoter Bob Arum said Tuesday night in an exclusive interview with The Press.

Arum said Pacquiao agreed to blood testing before the pre-fight press conference -- typically conducted months before a major fight -- and after the proposed March 13 bout, as well as random urine sampling at any time.

But when Mayweather’s camp insisted on random, Olympic-style blood samples, Pacquiao abandoned plans for the richest fight in history, Arum said.

“We’re going in a different direction,” Arum said. “What I believe is that Floyd never really wanted the fight and this is just harassment of Pacquiao.

“We appeased Mayweather by agreeing to a urine analysis at any time, and blood testing before the press conference and after the fight. Mayweather pressed for blood testing even up to the weigh-in. He knew that Manny gets freaked out when his blood gets taken, and feels that it weakens him. This is just harassment and, to me, just signaled that he didn’t want the fight.”

Arum worked on the negotiations until two weeks ago.

At that point, the CEO of Top Rank Inc. withdrew, and handed over negotiations to the company president and his stepson, Todd duBoef, after the Mayweather camp refused to consider fighting in Dallas.

Two days later, Dec. 12, Mayweather’s adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, disclosed the demand for random, Olympic-style drug testing conducted by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

“This doesn’t bother me because Bob Arum was the smart one,” Arum said. “He pulled away from this negotiation how many weeks ago? Three weeks ago? I knew what was up. I’m not a fool. Then when Schaefer said he wasn’t going to Texas, and so forth, I knew the fight wasn’t going to happen. But I could be wrong and that’s why Todd made a college try.”

Arum said the Mayweather camp’s insistence on blood testing, rather than urine testing, merely was a way to get out of the fight.

“Floyd, to me, is a coward and he’s always been a coward,” Arum said. “Not a physical coward, but a coward because he’s afraid to face somebody who could beat him. And believe me, Manny Pacquiao could beat him. So he’ll go his way, we’ll go our way, and that’ll be fine.

“Manny Pacquiao doesn’t know anything about drugs. This is just typical nastiness by wise guys like (adviser Leonard) Ellerbe and Mayweather. They’re just wise guys. I don’t think Schaefer’s to blame. I think he got sucked in by it.”

Arum said when he learned of the demand for random blood tests, he immediately rejected it.

“Nevada has stringent drug testing, right before the fight and after the fight,” he said. “This is all a bunch of hooey and nonsense. The kind of testing we agreed to was designed, 100 percent, to detect everything.

“Remember, 40 years of fights in Las Vegas and nothing like this has ever come up. If you want more stringent testing, sure, as long as it doesn’t inconvenience and psychologically affect Pacquiao, sure, who cares? They could analyze urine from today until tomorrow, it wouldn’t affect anything. It’s the blood testing close to the fight, while he’s in training, that’s unnecessary. And everybody who knows anything about drug testing will tell you it’s unnecessary.”

Arum said HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg tried to intervene on the testing issue Tuesday, to no avail.

He said he would pursue other possible opponents for Pacquiao, including Yuri Foreman, Paulie Malignaggi, or a third fight with Juan Manuel Marquez.

Malignaggi would be an interesting choice, if only because he has made clear his own suspicions about Pacquiao using performance-enhancing drugs.

Arum said he knows sports fans would be disappointed at the potential disintegration of what could have been the richest fight in history, and the most anticipated fight in decades.

“Sure they’ll be disappointed,” he said. “But they’ve got to understand what’s up. We’re not going to keep appeasing this guy, for no damn reason, especially over something that would affect, psychologically, my fighter. We’re not going to be pushed around by this guy. We’re not going to do
    it.”

I'm glad you posted that walsh. So there is confirmation that Pac will agree to random testing on one hand but not with blood... and for the less educated amongst us, blood is way more detectable. Hmm I wonder why he has no problem with urine testing at random but has a problem with blood testing at random? lol. But hey, it's all gamesmanship right :D

Arum is hilarious too, "floyd knows pacman doesn't like blood getting taken and feels it weakens him":D:D

I bet had Manny agreed to the demand, Floyd would then have demanded a complete LIVE autopsy of Manny before, and after the bout:)

Reminds me of the ridiculous hoops the Orangemen were demanding from Republicans before trying to reach a "peace" settlement

I'm glad you posted that walsh. So there is confirmation that Pac will agree to random testing on one hand but not with blood... and for the less educated amongst us, blood is way more detectable. Hmm I wonder why he has no problem with urine testing at random but has a problem with blood testing at random? lol. But hey, it's all gamesmanship right :D

Arum is hilarious too, "floyd knows pacman doesn't like blood getting taken and feels it weakens him":D:D

Are you daft? You just questioned what the difference between the two methods was, then quoted the answer!

?

• Advertisement

Which test reveals a higher compound for say, Steroids, to use one example; blood or urine?

Both have pros and cons.

BTW, the article proves what I said. Nothing more. You asked for links, there you go. Maybe you are putting me thru hoops, my friend;)

Which test reveals a higher compound for say, Steroids, to use one example; blood or urine?

Both have pros and cons.

BTW, the article proves what I said. Nothing more. You asked for links, there you go. Maybe you are putting me thru hoops, my friend;)

Read up on blood test vs urine tests walshb. Blood test are far better for detecting these kinds of things. THT is a good example. EPO etc.

Are you daft? You just questioned what the difference between the two methods was, then quoted the answer!

?

Read the post again. Every time you see a smiley face, I am actually laughing.:D

Read up on blood test vs urine tests walshb. Blood test are far better for detecting these kinds of things. THT is a good example. EPO etc.

Sorry, I should have said that I know the answer. Bloods reveal a lot of detail, but in relation to steroids, the urine reveals a far greater quantity. Urine tests are better for detecting levels of Steroids

Read the post again. Every time you see a smiley face, I am actually laughing.:D

Oh, ok.

Forgive my ignorance as to what the varying amounts of smilies you use mean in each instance.
    Maybe you are putting me thru hoops, my friend;)

Have you come to expect anything less from the Mayweather faction!?

• Advertisement

Oh, ok.

Forgive my ignorance as to what the varying amounts of smilies you use mean in each instance.

Have you come to expect anything less from the Mayweather faction!?

Ah I see, "factions".

I have no allegience to Mayweather or Pacman. I'm simply saying it as it see it. Obviously you adhere to the Pacman "faction" therefore you are supporting him blindly.

All I see is Fighter A wants random drug testing. Fighter B doesn't want random blood testing. Draw your own conclusions.

And to walsh, blood tests reveal much more about all kinds of substances and you know that.

And to walsh, blood tests reveal much more about all kinds of substances and you know that.

Yes, but I specificically mentoned roids. Anyway, no matter what side one is or isn't on, the fact of the matter is that Floyd is trying to disturb and spook and bother Manny by wanting new rules brought in. This is NOT about fairness at all. It's mind games.

Manny IMO does not deserve to be criticised for refusing to bow to Floyd Mayweather. Floyd is a BOXER, stick to boxing, and leave the rules and the doping measures to the authorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Roach talked to Sky Sports news

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_5795626,00.html

imo if manny had nothing to hide,he would just take the test a few days before the fight. A pro boxer afraid that a pinch of blood is going to weaken him?come on be realistic

ooPabsoo wrote: »

imo if manny had nothing to hide,he would just take the test a few days before the fight. A pro boxer afraid that a pinch of blood is going to weaken him?come on be realistic

So, just do as he is told, bow and bow and bow? Humanity doesn't work like that, and boxers certainly don't work like that. If this fight gets scrapped, it's Mayweather who collapsed it, not Pacquiao

So, just do as he is told, bow and bow and bow? Humanity doesn't work like that, and boxers certainly don't work like that. If this fight gets scrapped, it's Mayweather who collapsed it, not Pacquiao

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

sounds like playactin now. and btw re rte, they dont write it they just buy if off some new agency. google some of the quotes plenty of pages with same article will come up i'm sure

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2009/1223/mayweatherf_pacquiaom.html

Mayweather-Pacquiao 'fight is off'
    Wednesday, 23 December 2009 21:50

The WBO welterweight title bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao next March will not go ahead due to the American's demands for Olympic-style dope testing procedures, promoter Bob Arum said on Wednesday.

Arum, who represents the Filipino champion, said using blood tests for the highly anticipated fight on March 13 was unprecedented for professional fights in Las Vegas.

'As far as I'm concerned, the fight is off,' Arum told Reuters in a telephone interview. 'We don't object to more extensive drug testing, even though it's certainly not required in Nevada.

'What we're saying is that the drug testing he is proposing is intrusive and would disturb Pacquiao's training if it's done within 30 days of his fight.'

Pacquiao had agreed to have blood taken for testing before the initial media conference and after the fight but would not agree to have blood drawn within 30 days of the bout.

Mayweather's camp, represented by Golden Boy Promotions, has called for random blood and urine sampling prior to and after the fight as mandated by the U.S. Anti Doping Agency.

Arum suggested the testing demands by Mayweather were the American's way of ducking the fight.

'My gut feeling is Mayweather doesn't want to do the fight and this is his excuse. Period.'

Pacquiao was to defend the World Boxing Organisation title he won in November by stopping holder Miguel Cotto in the 12th round in Las Vegas for his unprecedented seventh title in seven weight classes.

The best pound-for-pound showdown between Pacquiao (50-3-2) and unbeaten Mayweather (40-0) was expected to be among boxing's biggest revenue-producing fights.

Arum said he could not agree with the testing demands as a matter of protection for Pacquiao, who believes blood testing would weaken him that close to a bout.

The promoter said more extensive testing agreeable to Pacquiao could have been arranged.

'We're saying let's use the drug testing agencies that test athletes in the NFL, NBA or Major League Baseball because they are used to dealing with professional athletes, and they take random urinalysis.

'That is far less intrusive than taking blood which has an effect on the athlete because it's not just a prick of a pin, but actually drawing an extensive amount of blood.'

Arum said he was not confident about a compromise, seeing Mayweather's blood-testing demands as a way to 'sabotage' the bout.

I hope to God this is just the big game of chicken it appears to be...

I think a real withdrawal statement would contain phrases like: "After careful consultation with Manny/Freddie..." etc or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ooPabsoo wrote: »

yeah it sounds fishy. Mayweather maybe playing mind games but why not call his bluff and take the test. I think it's reasonable to surmise he fears a blood test will show up something he doesn't want the world to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

i hope its not called off over this.. this is goin to be the fight of the century and i cant wait much longer for it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mrflair

If this fight gets scrapped, it's Mayweather who collapsed it, not Pacquiao

Its not mayweather whos doped to the gills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

mrflair wrote: »
    Its not mayweather whos doped to the gills

Its not very fair to say that,i mean it is very suspicious..but he's innocent until proven guilty..i dont think he would take steroids..but if i was in manny's situation id keep my mind on the boxing and not pathetic blood tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I don't know what you are disagreeing with. I am well aware that the cheats can beat the system; my point is that in the sport of boxing, Manny is not legally required to do this KIND of test.

What I find odd is that Floyd is saying that Pacman is one dimensional and that he will KO him; and now he wants drugs tests? His version of testing!
    Reeks of games to me

So what? If he's clean he should not have any problem taking the test. There is a group of atheletes right now who are about to take part in the Vancouver Winter Olympics that have decided to give even more samples than what is required to ensure that they are seen as 100% kosher.
    I'm not saying Manny is guilty of anything yet and I definetly agree with you that this could be mind games from both sides, but if Manny refuses to fight because of this there will be serious question marks surrounding his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Hilarious.

Manny's really messed this up....PBF is supposed to be the big bad villain that we all boo and hiss.

The fights happening imo.....its just interesting to see the haters squirm and somehow even manage to turn this against Mayweather....I can only imagine the response if the roles were reversed.:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mr big boy

Hilarious.

Manny's really messed this up....PBF is supposed to be the big bad villain that we all boo and hiss.

The fights happening imo.....its just interesting to see the haters squirm and somehow even manage to turn this against Mayweather....I can only imagine the response if the roles were reversed.:eek::D
    i agree.. don't forget his name is floyd money mayweather. its all about the money. i think floyd knows he will lose this fight so right now he just wants to get as many millions as he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

This is all a publicity stunt if you ask me.
    They want to take advantage of this once in a lifetime money making venture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Arum is saying Manny is 'freaked out' by giving blood. How can a pro boxer have a problem with drawing blood? Also, Mayweather isn't asking for anything he won't do himself.
    I really can't believe how naive people are here. If Manny is clean he should be willing to take any sort of test at anytime. Plain and simple. The longer this is going on the worse it is looking for Manny...and I'm a huge huge fan of him by the way.

Mayweather camp are setting the hoops, outside of the legal requirements. Can anyone give a good reason why Pacquiao should jump through those hoops? Computer says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭digsy32

Mayweather camp are setting the hoops, outside of the legal requirements. Can anyone give a good reason why Pacquiao should jump through those hoops? Computer says no.

+1

Exactly. Money is just playing tricks. This is a fight that he is not guaranteed to win. Having a record with zero losses makes him afraid. Pacman can't just give in willy nilly to these demands!

I think it will be just seen as posturing and the fight will take place! I pray to God it will anyway and I might be there for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Manny whatever he does is right, Mayweather is wrong...

I had the privilage to see BPF in the flesh, and he is the real deal.

Haters gonna hate as another popular post goes.

Manny's camp seem to keep changing their reason.

If this was Usain Bolt, we'd be all over that calling foul. (If I wasn't banned from athletics for picking on the checkout girl)

Eh Bobby, you know something I don't know...

• Advertisement

So what? If he's clean he should not have any problem taking the test. There is a group of atheletes right now who are about to take part in the Vancouver Winter Olympics that have decided to give even more samples than what is required to ensure that they are seen as 100% kosher.
    I'm not saying Manny is guilty of anything yet and I definetly agree with you that this could be mind games from both sides, but if Manny refuses to fight because of this there will be serious question marks surrounding his career.

He is taking THE test, and he is willing to take even more of THE tests,

The tests are the responsibility of the boxing authorities, not Floyd Mayweather.
    Manny is adhering 100 percent, and then some, to the testing regimes, yet this is
    a problem to mind games Mayweather:confused:

Anyone who doesn't see this as pure games to disrupt and bother Pacquia is naive to the hilt
    And no way should Manny bow to this crap. He should stand his ground, and play by the rules. Then,
    I cannot see how anyone could blame him for the collapse.

Manny bows to tis demand, what next? Maybe Manny has to wear a blind fold?

Advertisement