Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paquiao vs Mayweather fight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Maybe he makes a counter demand?, as is common in negotiations

Blindfold not the same as a drugs test, come on let's be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

manny shouldnt do it cos floyd says so, he's not gonna bow to some other boxer's demands, regardless of who he is. that's giving in, showing weakness. if it came from the top he'd be grand with it. pbf knows this. all a wind up so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭rocally

Its ridiculous to be honest – Manny will do any test that The sanctioning bodies and the state commissions run – Why should he be told what to do by his opponent – People should see this for what it is – Money trying to bully an opponent before a fight – typical mind games .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

The big question is will it go ahead?

I know Arum has come out and said it's off but is this just an attempt to get PBF to back down........

If not, do you think Manny or PBF will fight on Mar 13th either way against an opponent to be named........

I've booked a trip for this weekend apecifically for the fight, if this falls through i'd hope to catch a big fight over there no matter who is lined up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Golden Boy Promotions are promoting for Mayweather? Didn't they work with Manny too..maybe they suspect something themselves from previous experiences with him. I much prefer to watch Mayweather myself but meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

efb wrote: »

If this was Usain Bolt, we'd be all over that calling foul. (If I wasn't banned from athletics for picking on the checkout girl)

Actually, Bolt is under suspicion, and for a reason. It is well known that the Jamaican authorities have not adhered to or signed up to the same stringent drug testing regimes that WADA have adopted. Many many other countries have, and this is an example of an un-level playing filed. See, with Bolt and his sport, we have different testing regimes for different countries. Tyson Gay is a far more stringently tested athlete than Bolt, because the U.S. have a National Testing System that has been approved and verified and applauded

This situation is NOT comparable to Pacquiao, who to my knowledge has never refused to adhere to the CURRENT rules in the sport of boxing. With Pacquiao, he is following the rules that everyone else is bound to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 kevinhug

I dont quiet follow the whole mayweathers excuse for this. He wants manny to take a random blood test to see how manny is getting up to the weight so easily? ok, but pac is going to take a blood test at the conference and after the fight? surely that would tell him exactly what he is using. Unless, if pac is takes something, for weight gain, just after the press conference, can it leave his system by the time of the fight.

Just seems mayweather is looking for a way out.

kevinhug wrote: »
    I dont quiet follow the whole mayweathers excuse for this. He wants manny to take a random blood test to see how manny is getting up to the weight so easily? ok, but pac is going to take a blood test at the conference and after the fight? surely that would tell him exactly what he is using. Unless, if pac is takes something, for weight gain, just after the press conference, can it leave his system by the time of the fight.

Just seems mayweather is looking for a way out.

Kevin, timing is critical in testing. One could take the drugs, benefit from them immensely and come event time, the drugs aren't in the system, hence a test at event time, or the next day show nothing, but the athlete has still cheated. Now, that is all irrelevant here, as Pac has done nothing wrong and is well within his rights to refuse to do tests that his opponent is demanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Cotto, Hatton all these guys were happy to fight Manny. The Pacman is not breaking any of the rules set by establishment.

As soon as a fighter looks like he's better than floyd he must be a cheat.
    Part of me is like take the test and whoop that ass but another part of me is like ' **** floyd mayweather' he needs Manny not the other way round.

Manny will fight anyone from 147 down, who is next for Floyd, Vic ??

Typical BS from Floyd, MAN UP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

akindoc wrote: »
    ooops, looks like Pacman isn't prepared to go into a fight without his roids. He had the boxing testing sussed, but not this new testing... question marks over his entire career now...

can you withdraw that, seeing as there is no proof of that whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

walshb wrote: »
    He is taking THE test, and he is willing to take even more of THE tests,

The tests are the responsibility of the boxing authorities, not Floyd Mayweather.
    Manny is adhering 100 percent, and then some, to the testing regimes, yet this is
    a problem to mind games Mayweather:confused:

Anyone who doesn't see this as pure games to disrupt and bother Pacquia is naive to the hilt
    And no way should Manny bow to this crap. He should stand his ground, and play by the rules. Then,
    I cannot see how anyone could blame him for the collapse.

Manny bows to tis demand, what next? Maybe Manny has to wear a blind fold?

I see what your saying and as I said before this could be all brinkmanship from the Floyd camp but you'd think any athlete would be pleased to have their name cleared of any suspicions. No matter what happens at this point there will be suspicions around Manny. Fair enough he has adhered to the commissions rules but these rules don't go far enough. Mayweather wants both men tested by the US anti-doping agency, so he's not asking him to do anything he won't be doing and the tests will be conducted by a third party.

I see what your saying and as I said before this could be all brinkmanship from the Floyd camp but you'd think any athlete would be pleased to have their name cleared of any suspicions. No matter what happens at this point there will be suspicions around Manny. Fair enough he has adhered to the commissions rules but these rules don't go far enough. Mayweather wants both men tested by the US anti-doping agency, so he's not asking him to do anything he won't be doing and the tests will be conducted by a third party.

Yes, but where does it end. Pacman could agree, pass, and still there would be folks
    saying,"well, just because he passed this time, doesn't mean he wasn't on the drugs
    through his career."

Am I suspicious of Manny? Yes. But guess what, no more than I am suspicious of any top athlete in the world today who stands to make so much from sport. I wouldn't trust any of them. Sport is big business, and drugs in sport is big business. They go hand in hand. We may not like it, but it's reality.

event wrote: »
    can you withdraw that, seeing as there is no proof of that whatsoever

The more I look at akindoc's post that was quoted, the more dumbfounded I am.

By this logic, all the boxers have the boxing tests sussed. What makes him
    different. Ali, Frazier, Holmes, Oscar, Jones, Whitaker et al, they all had the boxing tests sussed:confused:

The singling out of Manny here is shameful, and reflects badly ONLY on those singling him
    out. Manny has nothing to be ashamed of here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

different. Ali, Frazier, Holmes, Oscar, Jones, Whitaker et al, they all had the boxing tests sussed:confused:

Nope they were either clean or timed their cycle correctly.

Im largely with akindoc on this one, with the greatest respect some of you are very naive.

rovert wrote: »

Im largely with akindoc on this one, with the greatest respect some of you are very naive.

Naivety has nothing to do with it. Me personally wouldn't be surprised at all if Manny and many other athletes were on drugs. If you read my posts, that is clear. But, that is a separate discussion and argument. The facts are that CURRENTLY under todays rules, Manny has never tested positive. It applies to others too who haven't ever tested positive. He has done nothing wrong and in refusing to bow to Floyd, he still has done nothing wrong. All I hope is that folks will respect him for not caving in to these ridiculous mind games

Naivety has nothing to do with it. Me personally wouldn't be surprised at all if Manny and many other athletes were on drugs. If you read my posts, that is clear. But, that is a separate discussion and argument. The facts are that CURRENTLY under todays rules, Manny has never tested positive. It applies to others too who haven't ever tested positive. He has done nothing wrong and in refusing to bow to Floyd, he still has done nothing wrong. All I hope is that folks will respect him for not caving in to these ridiculous mind games

Why is testing a mind game in the first place....

Why is testing a mind game in the first place....

Who ever said that?

Testing is not a mind game, but requesting above and beyond what is
    necessary or in the rules, then that is plain game playing. It's obvious.
    This fight will go ahead. Mark my words

Mayweather is a boxer, not a ****ing commissioner. Leave the rules to
    the authorities, and the boxing to the boxers

Who ever said that?

Testing is not a mind game, but requesting above and beyond what is
    necessary or in the rules, then that is plain game playing. It's obvious.
    This fight will go ahead. Mark my words

Mayweather is a boxer, not a ****ing commissioner. Leave the rules to
    the authorities, and the boxing to the boxers

Testing isnt going above and beyond merely a contractual stipulation if he is clean, it becomes a mind game if he isnt. Manny's side has said so many different things it makes me question that he is completely clean. Mayweather's camp has to operating with some degree of knowledge about Manny to pick this requirement in my view.

With a blood test they are likely looking for HGH.

Care to list some of the things Manny's side have said that
    makes you suspicious?

Telling Floyd to piss off is far from convincing.

If Manny was saying that "I refuse ANY testing," yes, I would
    become suspicious, but refusing demands made by Floyd which
    are not even required in boxing is far from suspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Testing isnt going above and beyond merely a contractual stipulation if he is clean, it becomes a mind game if he isnt. Manny's side has said so many different things it makes me question that he is completely clean. Mayweather's camp has to operating with some degree of knowledge about Manny to pick this requirement in my view.

With a blood test they are likely looking for HGH.

As seen at the 2004 olympics; HGH can only be detected via blood test within 24-48 hours of it being taken, which would be well before fight-night.

Urinalysis can detect HGH within 2 weeks (because the test uses a particle that traps HGH molecules and amplifies their presence so the hormone can be identified).

Also, for anyone labelling Manny's supporters here naive: Buying in to Mayweather's shit is just as naive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

consultech wrote: »
    As seen at the 2004 olympics; HGH can only be detected via blood test within 24-48 hours of it being taken, which would be well before fight-night.

Urinalysis can detect HGH within 2 weeks (because the test uses a particle that traps HGH molecules and amplifies their presence so the hormone can be identified).

Also, for anyone labelling Manny's supporters here naive: Buying in to Mayweather's shit is just as naive.

Where is your information to back up what you wrote about HGH there? Especially the part about it only being detectable in blood 24-48 hours after being taken?

You are wrong about the urinanalysis as far as I know.
    http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/QA_hGH_En.pdf should provide some education.

Mayweather has actually done something very good for the sport here. A urine test before and after a fight is a ridiculous testing protocol. Mayweather is important as a pioneer here.

If I was going into a fight where the whole world was going to be watching and my life was on the line, along with my reputation and perfect record, I would want the assurance that my opponent wasn't on something. Especially someone as suspicious as Pacquaio. PBF is prepared to undergo the exact same testing to ensure a level playing field. Boxing fans don't want this though, which is surprising but when consultech talked about "factions" and showed a genuine dislike for the Mayweathers, it was clear he was just a person who disliked them and would go against them in any situation. Looks like there are many more like that and the unbiased of us are going to remain baffled.

Not wanting to see a definite fair fight is a bit strange from the fans. Walshbs comments are strange too. Asking questions like, "what will floyd want next, an autopsy etc", as if asking for completely fairness from both competitors is equatable with that.

It's funny actually.:D

not naive at all, but dont think people should make up claims that have absolutely no proof and be allowed to print them.

if i made a claim that PBF must be gay as he has a bald head, and i have seen gay men with bald heads, i would be told to edit it and possibly be banned*

*i in no way think this, i was just using it as an example.

not naive at all, but dont think people should make up claims that have absolutely no proof and be allowed to print them.

if i made a claim that PBF must be gay as he has a bald head, and i have seen gay men with bald heads, i would be told to edit it and possibly be banned*

*i in no way think this, i was just using it as an example.

tell that to all the fans and boxing people who've been wondering about Pacman for 2 years now

DO you think Pac is on performance enhancing drugs? Yes or No?

The more I look at akindoc's post that was quoted, the more dumbfounded I am.

The singling out of Manny here is shameful, and reflects badly ONLY on those singling him
    out. Manny has nothing to be ashamed of here.

lol, you genuinely don't see anything suspicious about a man doing what no other man in the history of the sport has done? A man who was struggling against some of the best at 130 pounds and annihilated one of the best at 147 pounds a short time later.:D:D That's funny to me.

There are many people who think a lot of boxers are/were on performance enhancing drugs. I don't know if they were or werent. But tell me who else came up from 106 pounds and blasted their way through the divisions like Pacman? And I don't recall Henry Armstrong ever weighing 106 pounds for a fight.

Yet, it's "shameful" to question Pacquiao? :D:D Classic stuff mate.

I also love how people seem to be against ENSURING fights are fair and no performance enhancing drugs are used by fighters! Floyd really does inspire a lot of hate in people for them to be so irrational:D

tell that to all the fans and boxing people who've been wondering about Pacman for 2 years now

tell them what?

that because he has done this, he is now guilty?

cos thats what you're basically saying in your initial post. its preposterous and it comes across that you didnt like him anyway and are now just biased.

how about before every fight now if one guy asks the other to do what PBF asked manny and he refuses, we just brand him guilty too!

lol, you genuinely don't see anything suspicious about a man doing what no other man in the history of the sport has done?

by that logic you would have to believe that Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, Roger Federer are all on performance enhancing drugs

DO you think Pac is on performance enhancing drugs? Yes or No?

If a gun was put to my head, based on him passing all tests to date, I would have to say NO. It's the logical answer. Would I be surprised if he was? See my previous post.

tell them what?

that because he has done this, he is now guilty?

cos thats what you're basically saying in your initial post. its preposterous and it comes across that you didnt like him anyway and are now just biased.

how about before every fight now if one guy asks the other to do what PBF asked manny and he refuses, we just brand him guilty too!

no, tell them all they are wrong for questioning whether pacquaio is on something, as you said. It is completely WRONG to question whether Pacquaio is using anything. Or whether Bolt/Federer/etc are using. Just like it was completely wrong to question whether Ben Johnson/RJJ/Mosley/James Toney etc were using... oh what happened? They were all caught using actually weren't they? Ben Johnson was the world record holder at the time wasn't he? But of course, the people who questioned him were "completely wrong" until they were proved right of course :D

I've nothing against Pacquaio or Mayweather. If you know anything about performance enhancing drugs, you'll know that a urine test before and after a fight is ridiculous. Any boxer in Vegas who ISN'T on performance enhancing drugs is an idiot with that type of protocol! I just want to see a FAIR fight, like Mayweather does. I want to see this testing applied ACROSS THE BOARD. Then the Mosleys/RJJs/Toneys etc won't be able to get away with it either.

• Advertisement

You know, what is so so spectacular about knocking out Ricky Fatton, exposing a faded and old and past it Oscar, beating David freaking Diaz and Miguel Cotto. Cotto was impressive, but he's so so not the best welterweight I have ever seen.

Does anyone seriously believe that Manny would do this in the 80s with Hearns, Duran, Pryor, Leonard and Arguello, to name a few, around?

He is a great fighter, but no greater than at 126 than Nelson or Sanchez, no greater at 130 lbs than Floyd and no
    greater at 135 lbs than Pea Whitaker and no greater at 140 lbs than Pryor. He is not close to Leonard or Hearns or even Curry at 147 lbs

If a gun was put to my head, based on him passing all tests to date, I would have to say NO. It's the logical answer. Would I be surprised if he was? See my previous post.

Considering that he has only had to pass urine tests before and after the fight, and not been testing during training camps and is now refusing random testing, the "logical answer" is quite subjective.

You know, what is so so spectacular about knocking out Ricky Fatton, exposing a faded and old and past it Oscar, beating David freaking Diaz and Miguel Cotto. Cotto was impressive, but he's so so not the best welterweight I have ever seen.

Does anyone seriously believe that Manny would do this in the 80s with Hearns, Duran, Pryor, Leonard and Arguello, to name a few, around?

Who knows. I'll tell you what is spectacular. Carrying his power and speed up with him. Look at Floyd as he's gone up, slower hands, slower footspeed, more wear and tear etc. Same with DLH. Nothing at all like that with Pacquiao. I'm not saying he is using. He might just be a freak of nature. But if you can't see why there could be suspicion there, well, there is something wrong with you.

Considering that he has only had to pass urine tests before and after the fight, and not been testing during training camps and is now refusing random testing, the "logical answer" is quite subjective.

And he has said that he will adhere to three blood tests and as many urine tests
    as is wanted, above and beyond. Anyway, we are bouncing back and forth with this, it's pointless. He is not Superman. He is just a very good fighter in an era of less than greats, for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

lol, you genuinely don't see anything suspicious about a man doing what no other man in the history of the sport has done? A man who was struggling against some of the best at 130 pounds and annihilated one of the best at 147 pounds a short time later.:D:D That's funny to me.

There are many people who think a lot of boxers are/were on performance enhancing drugs. I don't know if they were or werent. But tell me who else came up from 106 pounds and blasted their way through the divisions like Pacman? And I don't recall Henry Armstrong ever weighing 106 pounds for a fight.

Yet, it's "shameful" to question Pacquiao? :D:D Classic stuff mate.

I also love how people seem to be against ENSURING fights are fair and no performance enhancing drugs are used by fighters! Floyd really does inspire a lot of hate in people for them to be so irrational:D

I tend to agree with you here. Sure, Floyd is always accused of looking for a way out of fighting the very best.
    But if Roach and Manny believe that Floyd is genuinely trying to duck him then for christ sake call his bluff and take the tests. Sure they will be seen to be bowing to his demands, but I firmly believe that if they think its 100% Floyd is using this to duck out of the fight then anyone would surely wanna call his bluff. Floyd will undergo the same tests also if what we are led to believe is true.

I personally think that the excuse of Freddie Roach that drawing blood so close to a fight makes him weaker psychologically is laughable. what a ridiculous statement. He could quite possibly have a cut in the first round for gods sake.

I'm a HUGE Manny fan. Personally I think Floyd will beat Manny one way or another but this refusal to entertain the idea of a test that could quite possibly become uniform afterwards for all fighters, may show they have something to hide.

And as I said I have no hidden agenda, im not showing bias to Floyd in any way, because as it stands the testing does have some grey areas that is for sure and anyone who is involved in the game should know this.

Also if I was Manny I would be chomping at the bit to show everyone that its all natural. And not leave any doubt in anyones mind now that the debate is out in the public domain.

no, tell them all they are wrong for questioning whether pacquaio is on something, as you said. It is completely WRONG to question whether Pacquaio is using anything. Or whether Bolt/Federer/etc are using. Just like it was completely wrong to question whether Ben Johnson/RJJ/Mosley/James Toney etc were using... oh what happened? They were all caught using actually weren't they? Ben Johnson was the world record holder at the time wasn't he? But of course, the people who questioned him were "completely wrong" until they were proved right of course :D

I've nothing against Pacquaio or Mayweather. If you know anything about performance enhancing drugs, you'll know that a urine test before and after a fight is ridiculous. Any boxer in Vegas who ISN'T on performance enhancing drugs is an idiot with that type of protocol! I just want to see a FAIR fight, like Mayweather does. I want to see this testing applied ACROSS THE BOARD. Then the Mosleys/RJJs/Toneys etc won't be able to get away with it either.

i havent really read the convo between you and walshb, but i dont think people shouldnt be suspicious of someone.

But i equally dont think someone should be basically named as guilty without any proof at all. Just because you may be proved right in time, doesnt make it alright to name someone as guilty because you have a suspicion.

• Advertisement

Comparing Ben Johnson to Pac is wrong, and so is comparing any cheating athlete
    to Pacman. Ben Johnson was caught using drugs, by a test that he was REQUIRED
    to take. Do you think he would have given urine if he didn't have to?

Now, Manny is simply abiding by the rules. When they change and become more stringent, technical and tougher, then we can diss him SHOULD he refuse to be tested.

Comparing Ben Johnson to Pac is wrong, and so is comparing any cheating athlete
    to Pacman. Ben Johnson was caught using drugs, by a test that he was REQUIRED
    to take. Do you think he would have given urine if he didn't have to?

Now, Manny is simply abiding by the rules. When they change and become more stringent, technical and tougher, then we can diss him SHOULD he refuse to be tested.

I certainly think the manner in which Manny has brought his power with him all the way up to 147 makes these exceptional circumstances.
    The time is right to introduce proper testing right now. Now i'm not accusing him of being a cheat. As Akindoc said, it needs to be applied across the board.
    I think the main issue here with most people is that it has been Floyd Mayweather jr who called for the testing. And it makes him look like he thinks he makes his own rules. However, I for one think this would be a rule that would clean this sport right up.

Bare in mind, other guys Floyd supposedly "ducked" include Margarito (a proven cheat and we dont know how long he fought with the plaster of paris) and Shane Mosley also, a guy who has been under scrutiny for possible use of performance enhancing drugs.

You are wrong about the urinanalysis as far as I know.

Detection of HGH through Urinalysis is at late experimental stages with positive results, in line with the timeframes I posted. Arum actually mentioned this the other day. Can't remember where I read it originally, but I've seen it quoted a few times on various sports forums (Boxing/MMA etc) too.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I personally think that the excuse of Freddie Roach that drawing blood so close to a fight makes him weaker psychologically is laughable. what a ridiculous statement.

Would you scoff if Denis Bergkamp, Paul Merson, or Bobby Charlton (all of whom possess a crippling fear of flying) refused to take a flight the day before a match, for fear of it affecting their performance?

We all have our phobias to bear. Me? I hate spiders. Your's is apparently objectivity.

Would you scoff if Denis Bergkamp, Paul Merson, or Bobby Charlton (all of whom possess a crippling fear of flying) refused to take a flight the day before a match, for fear of it affecting their performance?

We all have our phobias to bear. Me? I hate spiders. Your's is apparently objectivity.

well to me it sounds extremely convenient for Manny that one of his fears will get in the way of showing quite possibly definitively, whether or not its "all natural".

You're comparison with the flight is inadequate also in a sense that Bobby Charlton hopping on a plane to get to a game, isn't making football a cleaner game is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

He doesn't have a phobia he just doesn't like giving blood. The fact he gets punched in the face for a living and would quite frequently bleed from this makes his dislike of blood tests extremely suspicious.

This fight is probably the biggest fight in about 30 years, theres so much at stake, you can't blame Mayweather for wanting to ensure they are both on a level playing field....well ok a few on here blame him for wanting to ensure fairness but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I get where you are comming from walshb. Manny has agreed to fully comply with every stipulation put in place by the commision, and floyd may very well be just trying to rattle pac's cage or maybe get out of the fight completely..but...

Now that the issue has been raised, and manny has refused to accept this more stringent form of testing, it certainly raises some suspicion. Im sure pacmans media savy camp were well aware of the implications of refusing this test would bring, and the doubt it would cast on the atheletes integrity because of it. This makes their refusal all the more suspicious.

At this stage the circumstances have transceded standard boxing commision protocol. Mannys reputation is at stake, and the only way he can save it is to take the damn test.

Take the test and shut him up mannny.

Even though I agree with Manny on grounds of principle, it would be classic if he had the tests done by the thrid party on the hush all throughout the run up, proceeded to smash lumps out of Floyd, then published the results when Mayweather piped up. That would be heroic.

Even though I agree with Manny on grounds of principle, it would be classic if he had the tests done by the thrid party on the hush all throughout the run up, proceeded to smash lumps out of Floyd, then published the results when Mayweather piped up. That would be heroic.

You're definitely not letting any bias cloud your judgement on the issue.:D

... Looks like all the other fighters are getting in on this as well.. Doesn't look good for Pacman. JMM, Berto, Mosley, Williams would all want the testing. I assume any other opponents would too...

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24307

Oh dear.
    He's also getting lifted publically by the Golden Boy Promotions at every turn.

Oscar De La Hoya, the iconic fighter whom Manny Pacquiao sent to retirement with an upset TKO win in 2008, challenged the Filipino superstar to agree to an Olympic-style drug testing proposed in his endangered March 13 fight with Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

By refusing to subject himself to blood testing in the build-up to the superbout, Pacquiao is raising a lot of questions on his status as a dope-free fighter, noted De La Hoya, who has actually fought two fighters who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, Shane Mosley and Fernando Vargas.

“If Pacquiao doesn’t want to do this and risk a possible $40 million payday because he’s afraid of needles or believes he’ll be weakened by blood tests, then that raises question marks," dela Hoya wrote in his blog for The Ring .

"Now I have to wonder about him. I’m saying to myself, ‘Wow. Those Mosley punches, those Vargas punches and those Pacquiao punches all felt the same.’ I’m not saying yes or no (about whether Pacquiao might be taking performance-enhancing drugs); I’m just saying that now people have to wonder: “Why doesn’t he want to do this? Why is it such a big deal." he added.

The Mayweather camp, represented in the negotiations by De La Hoya’s company Golden Boy Promotions, has insisted on having dope tests under the US Anti-Doping Agency purportedly to protect their fighter and level the fight in the light of allegations that Pacquiao might be on to something.

But the 31-year-old Pacquiao, who has denied the allegations and came clean in all his previous dope tests conducted by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, has agreed to the blood tests but not while in the middle of training. He said it would weaken him if it’s done so close to fight night.

“If Pacquiao, the toughest guy on the planet, is afraid of needles and having a few tablespoons of blood drawn from his system, then something is wrong. The guy has tattoos everywhere; he’s tattooed from top to bottom. You’re telling me he’s afraid of needles?" the Golden Boy De La Hoya said.

Scheduled testing

Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank has stressed in a press statement that the Pacman is agreeable to submitting himself to three tests - one in January during the week the fight is formally announced; the second 30 days from the fight; and the final one immediately following the fight.

Arum also proposed the tapping of the independent agencies that work with the National Football League, the National Basketball Association or Major League Baseball, instead of the USADA, which would have the “ludicrous" right to administer random blood tests as many times as they want up to weigh-in day.

For Team Pacquiao, this could all be part of Mayweather’s mind games and possibly a ploy to get out of the projected blockbuster card.

But promoter De La Hoya quickly came to Mayweather’s defense.

“I believe Mayweather wants to do the right thing, to get tested properly. He’s not doing it to harass Pacquiao; that’s garbage. I would say to Pacquiao: ‘Do the test. Do it because it’s only a couple of tablespoons. Needles don’t hurt. Just look away when they put the needle in your arm.’ He’ll probably lose more blood in the fight than the blood being drawn for the test," he said.

“C’mon. It’s only a little bit of blood. If you have nothing to hide, then do the test," he added.

The Olympic-style dope testing is the lone item that derailed the otherwise smooth negotiations for the battle between the two pound-for-pound superstars. Pacquiao and Mayweather have apparently agreed to other major fight terms, including the purse spilt, the weight and the glove sizes.

:D

Oscar's a ****ing low life spineless git. Jealous probably because he got battered by Pac, and by the way, that was nothing to do with drugs; just watch Oscar in that fight, he looked dreadful, as if he had never boxed before.

Oscar just can't stand not to being in the limelight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Kevin, timing is critical in testing. One could take the drugs, benefit from them immensely and come event time, the drugs aren't in the system, hence a test at event time, or the next day show nothing, but the athlete has still cheated. Now, that is all irrelevant here, as Pac has done nothing wrong and is well within his rights to refuse to do tests that his opponent is demanding.

I wouldnt worry bout Oscar's comments....... Oscar is being paid by PBF this time round .
    And Oscar was also dealt a personal humiliation at the hands of Pacman.

I think Mayweathers abjective is to cast mud on a potential Pacman victory .

If floyd has an issue , he needs to take it up with the Nevada SAC !
    As Floyd obviously has no confidence in their drug testing ability.....

Adindoc : How can you find so many holes in NSAC testing , and yet it has not been a problem for any other fight/fighter ......
    and if there really are such glaringly obvious holes , then why havent the NSAC been able to close those gaps with the solution of random tests ?

Of course Pac is suspiciously good since featherweight , he may very well be on Steriods . But he may also be a natural ! and none of us know that .
    Im no expert on the subject , but i dont believe any steriods would give Pacman the chin to sustain Cotto's power....... which is what was particularly dazzling in the match-up.

Anyway , we must remember for every steriod case uncovered , there are probably dozens that slip through .
    And every law obiding athlete will want to be as close to the border of the rules to give them the max ability.

whats also ironic is the fact that Floyd snr . is being so vocal ....... the convicted cocaine traficker himself !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I am a boxing fan, I watch the big fights, and some of the not so big. Pacman is gonna tarnish his public image beyond repair if he doesnt agree to this. It may be mindgames / PR games, but a man who refuses to accept the global standard of drugtests prior to a fight is gonna see his legacy destroyed.

Pacman has something to hide? or Mayweather PR genius?

It doesnt matter if this fight fails on this, Pacman will never dispel the black marks. Everyone knows boxing's testing guidelines are a joke, so whatever this is about, FPBW has targetted it well, or he knows where there's smoke there's fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Inquitus wrote: »

Pacman will never dispel the black marks.

The black marks come from where though? He has always complied with the rules as they set out, and to my knowledge Manny has never failed any of the numerous tests which he has been subjected to. Manny didn't make the rules, he merely sticks to them. If you want to imagine the scenario where his record is tarnished then thats your own business, but it doesn't make you right. Casting aspersions like so are totally unfair IMO.

This debate will rage on, we all have decided on our positions let's just wait now and see what happens. Hopefully the fight will go ahead and we'll find out who gets the glory. Pacman for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The black marks come from where though? He has always complied with the rules as they set out, and to my knowledge Manny has never failed any of the numerous tests which he has been subjected to. Manny didn't make the rules, he merely sticks to them. If you want to imagine the scenario where his record is tarnished then thats your own business, but it doesn't make you right. Casting aspersions like so are totally unfair IMO.

This debate will rage on, we all have decided on our positions let's just wait now and see what happens. Hopefully the fight will go ahead and we'll find out who gets the glory. Pacman for me!!

MICHELLE SMITH DIDN'T FAIL THE TESTS EITHER...

• Advertisement
Advertisement