Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paquiao vs Mayweather fight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/01/manny-pacquiao-floyd-mayweather-jr-boxing-.html

The epic fight that could have taken boxing back to its massive popularity of years ago is not going to happen, Manny Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum said Wednesday night.

Arum has erupted with the angered announcement that "the fight's off" before in the contentious negotiation to stage a welterweight super-fight March 13 in Las Vegas between boxing's top pound-for-pound fighter, Pacquiao, and the man he replaced for that mythical honor, the unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr.

This time, however, Arum said he was told the same thing by retired federal judge Daniel Weinstein, who presided over a mediation to resolve points of dispute over the bout's drug-testing protocol Tuesday in Santa Monica.

"The mediator called me [before 8 p.m.] and told me the fight was off," Arum said. "The fight's off, Mayweather never wanted it. Manny wanted the fight. He was agreeable to terms."

A source close to the negotiation but not authorized to speak publicly about the talks said Pacquiao had agreed to submit to a blood test 24 days before the fight -- a concession from his prior stance of no closer than 30 days -- and to another blood draw immediately after the bout.

One source familiar with the negotiation said that offer was then taken to Mayweather, who declined to accept those terms. Another source, however, disputed that description of events, and said the fighters still have time to strike a deal before a "business deadline." Previously, the promoters wanted Pacquiao and Mayweather to star at news conferences in New York and Los Angeles next week.

Arum has said he would work to arrange an alternate fight for Pacquiao against newly crowned super-welterweight champion Yuri Foreman in March, which would allow the Filipino star to claim a record eighth world title.

Still, the idea that the sport's richest bout ever just slipped away is a devastating blow.

"I am disappointed in the sense this fight will not happen," Arum said. "I'm not surprised. I always knew Mayweather would kill it because he didn't want it. He didn't want to lose."

Efforts to reach several members of the Mayweather camp were not immediately successful.

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/floyd-pulls-off-the-biggest-duck-in-boxing-history/

It should not come as much of a surprise to BoxingInsider.com readers that the pound-for-pound pretender Floyd Mayweather would back out of the March 13 “Super Bowl of Boxing” as he did last night at Daniel Weinstein’s mediation meetings. According to various reports, Mayweather rejected the pleadings of his own handlers to take the fight, refusing to accept the 24-day before fight random blood test for superstar extraordinaire Manny Pacquiao.

This duck by Mayweather will prove costly, not only to himself – he was guaranteed $25 million and could have earned up to $40 million – but also to the sport, HBO, Golden Boy and sporting enthusiasts all over the globe who were eagerly looking forward to the showdown. It is not clear at this time how Mayweather’s evasion of the fight will affect his business relationships with HBO, Golden Boy, his sponsors, and his supporters. But the saying, “A coward dies a thousand deaths,” may most accurately describe what Mayweather has to look forward to in regards to his professional and personal future, as well as the devastating defamation lawsuit he now has to deal with from Manny Pacquiao.

The deathblow to the March 13 Super-fight came when Mayweather apparently refused to offer any counter proposal to the Pacquiao team late yesterday evening, effectively canceling the highly-anticipated event.

The Mayweather camp did not release any statement last night however an honest translation of what Mayweather is feeling inside might go something like this: “I am a coward who knows without any shred of uncertainty that Manny Pacquiao will destroy my career and future earning power at age 32. I tried everything to get out of this fight – from hoping he would lose to Hatton, Oscar and finally Cotto, hoping his Cotto PPV #s would be small, ordering Pac to call me out and ask for the fight, trying to force a quick fight on March 13, manipulating Oscar, Schaefer and Haymon to do my dirty bidding – but this time my cowardly ducking tactics coompletely failed to work and on the evening of January 6, 2010 the truth is out of the bag. I have uncontrollable cowardice in my heart and soul. My skills only work with slow, old, faded second raters. I know prime beasts like Margarito, Cotto, Mosley and Williams would knock me out. And I know Manny Pacquiao would not only slaughter me but his beautiful class, honor and dignity would make my immature and foul behavior look like a complete ugly disgrace in comparison. I know for certain he is the superior in every category. I don’t know how this open display of pure, honest cowardice will effect my relationships with HBO, Golden Boy or my stupid fans. But I don’t really care, at least now I don’t have to get slaughtered, brutalized and bashed upside the head by the greatest fighter in boxing history Manny Pacquiao on March 13.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Why even bother posting that drivel? Sad sad sad.

Of course if there was a shred of truth in that Pacman was agreeable to the drug testing request then his camp would make an official statement saying so. Mayweathers camp would then be forced to say why they didn't want the fight. But of course its complete fiction and therefore there will be no such statement from Pac's camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    Hmmmm ...... This whole debacle could be a staged plot to keep this fight on the top of the headlines until subscription time .

It seems that way now ....... (imo)

Im starting to wonder if there is really an issue to be resolved at all .

Neither manny nor floyd seem to have anything to say , rather its a promoters slagging match .
    And any time it seems to calm down , either promoter comes out with some silly statement , and its gets widely reported all over the boxing world .

Hmmmmm ....... my suspicious mind is active or maybe paranoid !!

I was kind of thinking this too, at the back of my mind somewhere.

It would be nice if that's all it was, but even if it was the case I think it's really taken from the fight. Pac fans are always going to see Mayweather as a coward and the other side will see Pac as a juicer.

I think that's being too optimistic anyway, but it's an awful pity if this fight doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

It's happening ...... just a question of when !

Interesting , Pacq is bound to both Golden Boy and Top Rank ....... but his ties to GB Promotions will expire .
    I need to find out the date , and indeed this postponement could be just a Top Rank business move .

I'll try track down some info on this , but as yet I dont have any links to the subject .

Also what i find interesting is Malinaggi's comments slating Pacq . As Paulie now finds the doors of opertunity opening for himself .

Cintron was the other fighter to openly defame Pacq .. I wouldnt be surprised to see his name now crops up as a possible opponent ?

Its really hard to know exactly whats going on these days ,....
    Boxing sites seem to print articles written by blinded fans of both sides .
    The quality of articles I see on the net is real trash over the last 12 months .

Where are all the decent writers gone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Too big not to happen, and it will by the end of the year. Pac will take a lesser fight in March and focus on his poitics before hyping his fight with Floyd.
    Floyd will fight who ever pays him the most in the meantime.

If Hatton had kept in reasonable shape he could have had a comeback fight in November and stuck his name in the mix as a March opponent. No way would he turn down a rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yea I think it'll happen just a question of when.

And as big a Pacquiao fan as I am, I think that his camp are AS MUCH if not more to blame for the shenanigans that have been going on. The mediator has pulled them up on 'inconsistancies' in what they've been saying to the press.

Roach is on record weeks ago saying that he was not happy with March - it wasn't enough time to prepare Manny for a fighter like Floyd. Plus you've got elections in the Phillipines which Manny could be / is running in, so in truth I believe they were never happy with this date.

Mayweather has come out and said that he wanted the pre-fight blood test, they said 30 days, he was prepared to meet them in the middle and countered with 14 days but they rejected that. The whole thing is very iffy, or, more likely - March 13th was NEVER going to happen and this is just what the whole business is about these days, hyping the fight as much as possible - so there'll be a 'real grudge element' when the fight eventually happens in Autumn 2010

Why even bother posting that drivel? Sad sad sad.

last time i checked this is the boxing forum and both articles relate to the tread. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I'd like to believe that, that this is just part of the whole hype job to make sure the fight is the biggest of all time, but I don't buy it, can't see it ever happening now, I said in this thread I wasn't sure what I believed but now I'd say Arum summed up my thoughts in the whole mess. Mayweather never wanted the fight, from imediately after the Cotto fight he could have just came out and said "I want to fight Pacquaoi" he didn't, he's done everything he can to try and wriggle out of it and this whole episode will leave a black mark on his legacy, and rightly so. Pussy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

slipss wrote: »
    I'd like to believe that, that this is just part of the whole hype job to make sure the fight is the biggest of all time, but I don't buy it, can't see it ever happening now, I said in this thread I wasn't sure what I believed but now I'd say Arum summed up my thoughts in the whole mess. Mayweather never wanted the fight, from imediately after the Cotto fight he could have just came out and said "I want to fight Pacquaoi" he didn't, he's done everything he can to try and wriggle out of it and this whole episode will leave a black mark on his legacy, and rightly so. Pussy!

I agree with you. I don't think all this is an attempt to generate hype. They are the two biggest names in boxing. The fight sells itself. No hype is required to make this sell. It may go ahead later in the year but I won't hold my breath.

• Advertisement

Exactly,
    The steroids story is bad for boxing and just when boxing was starting to pick up again with a good year in 2009 this negative crap about a class talent is just out of order.
    Worth a read http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4803490

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Arum is full of crap IMO. The mediator had to release a statement because arum was coming out with little comments that made pacman look squeaky clean. Mayweather offered to meet half way with a 14day final test prior to the fight which i think is fair.

I'm not really favouring either of the fighters and they are both to blame in the way they have handled themselves during the last while. It'll reflect very bad on boxing if this fight doesn't come off. It'll be interesting to see the pay per view figures for their next fights if this one bites the dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Arum is full of crap IMO. The mediator had to release a statement because arum was coming out with little comments that made pacman look squeaky clean. Mayweather offered to meet half way with a 14day final test prior to the fight which i think is fair.

I'm not really favouring either of the fighters and they are both to blame in the way they have handled themselves during the last while. It'll reflect very bad on boxing if this fight doesn't come off. It'll be interesting to see the pay per view figures for their next fights if this one bites the dust.

14 days? I thought Floyd was still insisting on random right up until fight time.

Either way, his creating these Floyd rules stinks of staged to get out
    of the bout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GoodPaddy

mayweather is as crafty a businessman as he is boxer, the fight will happen when maximum hype and controversy has been established to the extent that even non boxing fans will be willing to pay for it. clever media stunt initiated by mayweather who knows he can now have another warm up fight make a few million in the process and expect a better payday from the delayed pacman fight

walshb wrote: »
    14 days? I thought Floyd was still insisting on random right up until fight time.

Either way, his creating these Floyd rules stinks of staged to get out
    of the bout

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1499/mayweather_blames_fight_cancellation_on_team_pacquiao/

that's an article with a statement that mayweather came out with. 14 days isn't a bad compromise imo. i agree with you about floyd dictating the rules but it is something that has to be looked at by the governing bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Edit: Too quick for me Doctor.

Edit: Too quick for me Doctor.

Lol, a lot of people seem to be blaming mayweather solely for this mess but it six of one half a dozen of the other. The promoters aren't helping matters either by muddying the water.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1499/mayweather_blames_fight_cancellation_on_team_pacquiao/

that's an article with a statement that mayweather came out with. 14 days isn't a bad compromise imo. i agree with you about floyd dictating the rules but it is something that has to be looked at by the governing bodies.

The resolution should happen in this order respectively :

(i) Team Mayweather adresses Nevada SAC , with their concerns regarding doping .

(ii) Nevada recognise these concerns , and agree to alter the testing regulations in order to gain the most accurate readings in tests .

(iii) Nevada implement the new testing , with a compromised time-frame .
    e.g one random blood test per week up until 21 days pre-fight , and one further blood test after the fight .

Or
    (ii) Nevada fail to recognise random blood testing as an essential form of testing , and maintain their current regulations .

Either way , the fight should be forced , and accepted by both camps .

I read that the cost of the blood analysis is really expensive , and is partly a reason that blood tests are not carried out frequently .
    hmmm

and Dr. Greenthumb is right about the promoters .
    Bob Arum in particular is conducting himself really unprofessinally of late !
    He's always been loose with his tounge , but I really think he is "the fly in the ointment" .

Either way , the fight should be forced , and accepted by both camps .

how or why should it be forced when its not a manditory bout. Just because everyone wants to see it !!

If mayweather is suspicious of Manny cheating then it's easy to understand why he has requested this.

Look at Cotto, suffered a bad beating by margarito whose gloves could have been loaded (caught cheating the fight after) and hasn't recovered properly since. Mentally that defeat shook Cotto and he underperformed in the 2 fights after. He was improved against pacman but it could've been a different fight had he still been undefeated (not saying pacman wouldn't have beat him anyway). A loss can have a big impact on a fighter especially this far into a carreer.

• Advertisement

siochain wrote: »
    ...why should it be forced ..........Just because everyone wants to see it !!

Yeah ! thats what a mediator is for lbhbh.gif

Anyway .......

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=24571

It looks like Clottey might be up on March 13th .
    I've always thought Clottey was under-rated , and now Manny has his hands full with this guy .

Clottey's on his holidays , all boozed up and over-weight .
    Clottey too will have his hands full to prepare for 9 weeks time !

Joshua is another one of those guys that deserves but never gets a decent crack o' the whip. Im delighted he gets this shot ( should he take it )

If mayweather is suspicious of Manny cheating then it's easy to understand why he has requested this.

If mayweather had suspicions about Manny cheating , then he should have sorted this issue out with the relevant testers BEFORE agreeing to fight Manny , and before choosing the location and date of the fight . If Mayweather agrees to fight in Vegas , then he has to subscribe to the state rules .
    You cant expect to change the rules after the event is set and publicised !

Floyd is really throwing his weight around here , and nobody else would get away with such demands .

siochain wrote: »
    last time i checked this is the boxing forum and both articles relate to the tread. :rolleyes:

Yes but I doubt many people are interested in a blog containing baseless lies or an article containing the demented rantings of an idiot with a massive chip on his shoulder.

If mayweather had suspicions about Manny cheating , then he should have sorted this issue out with the relevant testers BEFORE agreeing to fight Manny

the fight was never signed and sealed, negotiations were taking place, thats all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Boxing is in shambles. MMA Baby!

Yes but I doubt many people are interested in a blog containing baseless lies or an article containing the demented rantings of an idiot with a massive chip on his shoulder.

he's actually a well respected american sports journalist, may sound biased or he's just calling it as it is...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭irishjim111

be the fight of the year but meaywaether is chickining out a bit. pac man is the best iv seen in a long while nice as pie. but an animal in the ring . hope it happans be a great fight better than david haye anyway the heavywieghts isint as good as the bruno and lewis and tyson years

With his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. all but off, Manny Pacquiao has instead agreed to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13, Pacquiao's camp said Friday.

Clottey's manager told ESPN.com's Dan Rafael that he spoke to Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank's Bob Arum, on Friday about the fight's details but would only confirm a "seven-figure" purse.

"Josh is ecstatic about it," Vinny Scolpino told ESPN.com. "I think we can get this done in a couple of days. He's coming home [to New York from Ghana] on Monday."
    from http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4808708

Interesting if this is finalized, it will blow out all the theories that manny doesn't want to fight in March due to preparing for elections.

"The Los Angeles Times asked Arum his opinion of a 14-day option.

"We had a (mediation) deal based on 24 days, but we said it's all off the table if (Mayweather representatives) get a no from Floyd, and they got a no," he told the newspaper. "So the train has left the station. We have moved on. We don't want to talk about Mayweather anymore until the fall."

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1502/schaefer_holding_out_hope_as_pacquiao_turns_to_clottey/

Arum is denying getting any correspendence from Golden Boy about the 14 day test, gives out about Mayweather and then says thwy won't discuss floyd again until the fall. This all now reeks of delay tactics on the Pacman side. Probably more from Roach & the backround team so they can prepare him better rather than the pacman himself.

"Interesting if this is finalized, it will blow out all the theories that manny doesn't want to fight in March due to preparing for elections."

He just doen't want to fight Mayweather so soon. He'll handle Clotty easily. We all know what politicians are like lol

• Advertisement

Pacman really does have some guts. He takes on anyone. Joshua is a big and strong and heavy handed welter. This fight would be more brusing and physical than the Floyd fight. Is tis fight in a strange way, a step up?

I would rather face Floyd than Clottey. Floyd is a cuite and defensive minded man. Joshua is in there to do you harm

Pacman really does have some guts. He takes on anyone. Joshua is a big and strong and heavy handed welter. This fight would be more brusing and physical than the Floyd fight. Is tis fight in a strange way, a step up?

I would rather face Floyd than Clottey. Floyd is a cuite and defensive minded man. Joshua is in there to do you harm

Yip its a step up alright, Clottey would be a bigger scalp for pac man in terms of a more physical tough bout. Happy to see him getting on with things too. It will be very intresting to see who the pick for PFM next.

During the initial phase of the now aborted Mann Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight, Bob Arum initially wanted the fight to be held at the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Golden Boy’s second chief Richard Scahefer scoffed the idea, saying Mayweather does not like because it is an outdoor stadium.

But with the recent development of things, some little details broke the surface may probably be the biggest reason why Mayweather never wanted the Dallas Cowboys Stadium to host the fight – he was using a widely-banned illegal substance. The irony is that such drug is legal in, coincidentally, the state of Nevada.

In an article written by Frank Gonzales in April 21, 2002, it is revealed that Floyd Mayweather has been using a painkiller called Xylocaine to treat the pain caused by his brittle hands, which have been injured numerous times in the past.

However, Xylocaine is proven to enhance a boxer’s performance.

It effectively numbs the boxer’s hands, making it less susceptible to pain caused by punching constantly. With the pain efficiently blocked out, Xylocaine, in effect, enables the boxer to throw more powerful shots. If that is the case, then Mayweather may not have been fighting on a leveled playing field in some of his fights.

And to call Pacquiao a steroids user when in fact he has a history of using a widely-banned drug not only tarnishes his reputation as a boxer, but also brings his legacy to a pool of mud. Soaked and dirtied, there is no way Mayweather can clean this one.

The karmic boomerang does hurt.

Link:http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/ARTICLE/2212/2010-01-09.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Look this argument that boxers can punch harder without the pain is BS to the highest degree, especially in a fight, all boxers punch with full intent and without a problem and if they dont then there not cut out for fighting, technique and adrenalin make sure that hands should not be hurt anyway..

If the pain killers only stopped pain in the hands due to injured hands i would not see the problem, but the problem is im sure they'd help for pain in other areas too, like ribs for example from body shots..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

During the initial phase of the now aborted Mann Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight, Bob Arum initially wanted the fight to be held at the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Golden Boy’s second chief Richard Scahefer scoffed the idea, saying Mayweather does not like because it is an outdoor stadium.

But with the recent development of things, some little details broke the surface may probably be the biggest reason why Mayweather never wanted the Dallas Cowboys Stadium to host the fight – he was using a widely-banned illegal substance. The irony is that such drug is legal in, coincidentally, the state of Nevada.

In an article written by Frank Gonzales in April 21, 2002, it is revealed that Floyd Mayweather has been using a painkiller called Xylocaine to treat the pain caused by his brittle hands, which have been injured numerous times in the past.

However, Xylocaine is proven to enhance a boxer’s performance.

It effectively numbs the boxer’s hands, making it less susceptible to pain caused by punching constantly. With the pain efficiently blocked out, Xylocaine, in effect, enables the boxer to throw more powerful shots. If that is the case, then Mayweather may not have been fighting on a leveled playing field in some of his fights.

And to call Pacquiao a steroids user when in fact he has a history of using a widely-banned drug not only tarnishes his reputation as a boxer, but also brings his legacy to a pool of mud. Soaked and dirtied, there is no way Mayweather can clean this one.

The karmic boomerang does hurt.

Link:http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/ARTICLE/2212/2010-01-09.html

Is Xylocaine legal in Nevada or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

cowzerp wrote: »
    Look this argument that boxers can punch harder without the pain is BS to the highest degree, especially in a fight, all boxers punch with full intent and without a problem and if they dont then there not cut out for fighting, technique and adrenalin make sure that hands should not be hurt anyway..

If the pain killers only stopped pain in the hands due to injured hands i would not see the problem, but the problem is im sure they'd help for pain in other areas too, like ribs for example from body shots..

That's a good point.

But, afaik, and I could be wrong here, xylocaine is a trade name for lidocaine.
    I think this is usually given topically, as in a gel or cream, and that it is a local anaesthetic anyway.

It's used in strepsil throat spray I think and does a good job of numbing the mouth. I think dentists used to use it for doing fillings too.

So I'm just saying that if he used it for his hands it might not have much of an effect on his ribs etc.

Again, I could be totally wrong.

• Advertisement

akindoc wrote: »
    Is Xylocaine legal in Nevada or not?

It's legal as far as I know. So, if Floyd tested positive for it he is within the rules, which is quite similar to Manny abiding by the Nevada rules. Neither man is committing an offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Mayweather knows manny's gonna knock the ****e outta him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

There's been a lot of talk today that the Pac v Clottey fight will be at a catch weight of 144lbs. Making a guy as big as Clottey - a guy that has had trouble making the Welterweight limit on many occasions, a guy that has actually fought above the Welterweight limit quite a few times - come down to 144lbs, will take a hell of a lot of shine off of a win over him for Pacman in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Mayweather knows manny's gonna knock the ****e outta him

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Johner wrote: »
    There's been a lot of talk today that the Pac v Clottey fight will be at a catch weight of 144lbs. Making a guy as big as Clottey - a guy that has had trouble making the Welterweight limit on many occasions, a guy that has actually fought above the Welterweight limit quite a few times - come down to 144lbs, will take a hell of a lot of shine off of a win over him for Pacman in my opinion.
    Source?

If this is true, combining this with making Cotto meet him at the lower weight and his allegedly not meeting Mayweather in the middle at 14 days for the testing, doesn't look good for Pacquiao.

• Advertisement

If Floyd wanted to get out of the fight, he had ample opportunity before the drug testing.

1. he could have walked away when the pac camp demanded a 50:50 split.
    2. he could have walked away when the pac camp demanded their own 8 ounce gloves even though it's normally 10 ounce gloves for a welterweight fight.
    3. he could have walked away when pac demanded 10 million per pound.
    4. he could have walked away when pac refused to do blood testing up til 48 hours before the fight, but he was willing to go 14 days before the fight.

mayweather has made some concessions here. if you really think about it, a tablespoon of blood 14 days before the fight isn't as important as wearing 8 ounce gloves over 10 ounce gloves would be.

But both fighters deserve blame for the fight not happening

If Floyd wanted to get out of the fight, he had ample opportunity before the drug testing.

2. he could have walked away when the pac camp demanded their own 8 ounce gloves even though it's normally 10 ounce gloves for a welterweight fight.
    3. he could have walked away when pac demanded 10 million per pound.
    4. he could have walked away when pac refused to do blood testing up til 48 hours before the fight, but he was willing to go 14 days before the fight.

mayweather has made some concessions here. if you really think about it, a tablespoon of blood 14 days before the fight isn't as important as wearing 8 ounce gloves over 10 ounce gloves would be.

But both fighters deserve blame for the fight not happening

Eh, how the hell is agreeing to weigh in at the welter limit a concession?

IF he was asking Floyd to weigh 146, 145, 144 etc, then I would
    consider this a concession.

As for the 50-50 split, that is not a concession for Floyd if we want to be
    technical. Floyd has done nothing of note in 2 years. Manny is the draw here, the name, and the bigger seller

These were agreed by Floyd because they were too damn obvious as not being
    concessions. Had he chickened out for these reasons, he'd be a real joke.

He chose to bring in drug rules, his drug rules, and rules he knew Pacman
    wouldn't adhere too. Pacman being right not to.

It's easy giving in to "concessions" when you know you have a real way out
    of the fight should all else go smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

joker77 wrote: »
    Source?

If this is true, combining this with making Cotto meet him at the lower weight and his allegedly not meeting Mayweather in the middle at 14 days for the testing, doesn't look good for Pacquiao.

http://www.mannypacquiaovs.com/index.php/2010/01/manny-pacquiao-to-fight-joshua-clottey-at-144-catchweight/

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199173

I don't see a point in this fight at a catch weight. As I said Clottey has trouble making Welter.

Rumors are they will be fighing on the same night in March.
    pac V's clottey in Dallas
    PFM V's ???? in Vegas

PPV figures will make the negotiations next time around interesting, Pac Man may have the upper hand, (no pun intended )

Eh, how the hell is agreeing to weigh in at the welter limit a concession?

IF he was asking Floyd to weigh 146, 145, 144 etc, then I would
    consider this a concession.

As for the 50-50 split, that is not a concession for Floyd if we want to be
    technical. Floyd has done nothing of note in 2 years. Manny is the draw here, the name, and the bigger seller

These were agreed by Floyd because they were too damn obvious as not being
    concessions. Had he chickened out for these reasons, he'd be a real joke.

He chose to bring in drug rules, his drug rules, and rules he knew Pacman
    wouldn't adhere too. Pacman being right not to.

It's easy giving in to "concessions" when you know you have a real way out
    of the fight should all else go smoothly.

Did you miss the part where i wrote 10 million per pound? That's not a concession. OK.

As for who is the bigger draw, against common opponents (DLH/Hatton/JMM), what were their respective PPV numbers? Who drew more? Floyd by a considerable margin.

My point is that it would have been very easy for floyd to look for a way out with any of the above excuses if he really wanted out, as some are suggesting.

If he wanted out of the fight with the drug rules he wouldn't have thrown the 14 day cutoff out there. He could have just stayed with the 48 hour deadline if his game was to get out of the fight.

He could have demanded 10 ounce gloves. But he agreed to 8 ounce gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nickycole

There is only one thing is for sure Floyed Gayweather is really afraid of Manny Pacquiao! He is just a person living in his own dream in his own world.

Did you miss the part where i wrote 10 million per pound? That's not a concession. OK.

But, can you be clearer here. Is Pacman responsible for this weight making too? Is he open to a fine should he come in over 147 lbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

The proposed fight between Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquiao will not be taking place any time soon after the two sides refused to agree over the drug-testing row.
    It means the face-off all boxing fans want to see will not go ahead, at least for now, with Pacquiao instead likely to challenge WBA light-middleweight belt holder Yuri Foreman in a bid to become a seven-weight champion.
    The two parties were brought together with a mediator during Tuesday and Wednesday but Pacquiao remained unmoved on Mayweather's request for random blood and urine testing prior to the proposed March 13 bout.
    "No deal was reached and Manny is moving on," communications expert Fred Sternburg told Reuters on behalf of Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum.
    Even so, Mayweather's promoters Golden Boy have refused to either confirm or deny the claim from the Arum camp, offering at least a glimmer of hope that the fight is not dead in the water.
    Pacquiao defeated Miguel Cotto for the WBO welterweight title in November, while Mayweather had earlier ended a two-year sabbatical to beat Juan Manuel Marquez, setting the pair on a collision course.
    Mayweather Jnr is expected to remain active, with a fight against former IBF light-welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi already mooted.

ahhh,courtesy of sky sports:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Paulie Malignaggi - good to see "money" is not afraid to fight the big boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

ragg wrote: »
    Paulie Malignaggi - good to see "money" is not afraid to fight the big boys

If he fights Malignaggi then its a farce, not a bad fighter but as weak as piss and not a threat at all to PBF, he's like PBF but a lower standard verion..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement