Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scary thing this morning

• 17-11-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Hi guys was dropping the kids to school this morning hopped into car backed out of driveway left the car pull itself along very little to no accelerator.

Anyhoo was coming up to the entrance to our estate to head out onto the main road went to press brakes and they felt rock hard and car didn't seem to slow down pushed down real hard on them and car stopped.

Could feel the pedal getting softer as I was keeping it pressed and brakes were perfect after this.

Not a very nice experience car has kind of done this before always first thing in the morning but I was never in a brown pants moment as this moring.

Anyone any idea what this may be?

Car is an 08 Golf with TSI engine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

power assist not kicking in? try breaking without the engine turned on, tis much harder. sounds like thats what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

yeah was thinking something servo related alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Whatever it is, get it into VW before your warranty is up. Which might not be far away now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yeah, without servo can feel like no brakes at all.
    Your car did this before and you did nothing about it? That kind of carelessness leads to these brown trouser moments. Also your car is under warranty, what possible reason have you for driving around with a brake fault?

Might be something simple like vacuum pipe creased or collapsed

Yeah still under warrenty alright tbh the other times I thought it was just my imagination it was over very quickly this was the first time that I found it really noticeable. The wierd thing is this only ever happens in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Is it just in the morings you get it nismo? Have you been back to the dealer eith the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd have the cars back double quick lads if I were ye. I actually remember reading someone having a similar problem with a passat in the problems section of what car not so long ago

Cheers for the advice lads will ring dealer in the morn and see what they say and let you all know what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

alexmcred wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice lads will ring dealer in the morn and see what they say and let you all know what they say

Don't just ring the dealer, bring the car in and make sure it's fixed. They'll fob you off if you just ask 'Mr Dealer, is it ok if my brakes don't work occasionally?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭geezer1234

I have same car as you and had similar experience except it was not a temporary "glitch". Turned out the vacuum hose between the engine and servo had worked its way loose and as a result there was no brake assistance and a rock hard brake pedal. The dealer had it fixed in a few minutes but it was not confidence inspiring. Car has been great overall though.

Car is going into garage friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

alexmcred wrote: »
    Car is going into garage friday morning.

+1

Let us know what it is btw if you can when shes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Had a Skoda once that had a habit of doing that (and a Ford a long time ago). Had it seen to a couple of times but no problem could be found. Like as if I was just telling stories:rolleyes:. It's other party trick, particularly manifest in long stop start traffic jams, was to jam on the brakes solid at the slightest touch of the brake pedal, so on occassions I had to give up completely with the foot brake and use the hand brake instead to avoid being rear ended (or thumped by the unfortunate driver behind:mad:)

Just to update you all on this the servo is loosing pressure overnight so they are replacing the servo next week.

Advertisement