Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book of the Decade

Options
  • 17-11-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The Human Stain, Philip Roth (2000)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Plowman wrote: »

There's four books from Stephenie Meyer in the top 40 :eek: !
    No...just no.

Have to have a think about my own top books of the last decade, I'm actually not that sure how many books from this decade I've even read have been all that memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Kite Runner? I think it's an absolute gem anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I know they're both hugely popular. I'd find it very difficult to pick one over the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I know they're both hugely popular. I'd find it very difficult to pick one over the other.

A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini even better than the Kite Runner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

The Lemon Tree and/or The Book Thief. Both stunning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Off the top of my head, Shantaram is the one that stands out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Twilights liable to get number 1 by looks of things. ;) Would probably choose "The Road".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

No Country for Old Men is the first one off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Life of Pi would have been my favourite read for a long time even though it has it's detractors.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Probably 'The Road' by Mc Carthy. That'll be read in 100 years to come still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

First book that popped to mind was Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre, will have to think about it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Hm, this is a very tough one, in terms of the books I've got the most enjoyment of in that time, it would probably be the later Harry Potter books, or The Amber Spyglass, the last of His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman.

I will say in my defence I was only 11 in 2000 so what can you expect. :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Without really thinking about it the first book that occured to me was
    That They May Face the Rising Sun by John MacGahern

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Hermy wrote: »
    Without really thinking about it the first book that occured to me was
    That They May Face the Rising Sun by John MacGahern
    Great book, read it a couple of years ago. The prose is fabulous.

I can't think what I'd pick for book of the decade; that's a really tough question actually. Maybe some of the Harry Potters.. or I really like Neil Gaiman too.

No, actually, I don't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

My favourites would have to be Cloud atlas by David Mitchell (fiction), or Brian Greene's The fabric of the cosmos, (seeing as The elegant universe was published in '99) for non-fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Walk the blue fields by Claire Keegan
    That they may face the rising sun - John Mcgahern
    Glimpse of the devil - M Scott peck and any of his books that he wrote in the noughties, I have them all.
    Thats all I can think of for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

The first one that popped into my head was "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.It really made an impression on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

The_Amazing_Adventures_of_Kavalier_&_Clay by Michael Chambon
    The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk
    A Problem From Hell by Samantha Power
    We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families by Philip Gourevitch
    Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
    That they may face the rising sun by John McGahern

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think the Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor certainly deserves a mention. Other ones I very much enjoyed were The Secret History by Donna Tart and A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FishFingers

Lunar Park - Bret Easton Ellis

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I'm finding it hard to argue against The Road, but I would say its not an easy or pleasant read. Not the most enjoyable but probably the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

This is an easy one for me - That They May Face the Rising Sun, by John McGahern.

Why so easy? Well quite simply I havent read any other book from the current decade! But I still thinks its a great book, one I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

I'll echo McCarthy and McGahern. It's largely been a poor decade for literature.

I'll also add that Ian McEwan's Saturday is both the worst book of the decade and the worst book I have ever read ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 calamative

Anyone for William Boyd's 'Any Human Heart'?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Diceman by Luke Rhinehart (1971) has to be one of my favourite books, it can really change your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Plowman wrote: »

I think Amsterdam is essentially a study of character, and I found it quite intriguing. I think the ending is quite significant, as we see two characters at loggerheads over pride etc doing the exact same thing to one another. I think it is a lesson in how people who are quite similar may never get on.

I cant comment on its worthiness, or otherwise, to win the Booker prize in 1998 as I havent read any other books from that time. However when one considers the morality issues it deals with I dont see why it shouldn't win it.

All prizes are controversial in some sense. Notice that the two books repeatedly mentioned here - The Road and That They May Face the Rising Sun - never won the Booker prize and that two books by Irish authors that did in the last decade - The Sea and The Gathering - havent been mentioned much (if at all).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

My favourites would have to be Cloud atlas by David Mitchell (fiction)

+1

I have been waiting 3 years to have forgotten enough of the the story so that I could re-read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

This article in the Irish Times raises a few interesting titles from the past decade:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2009/1202/1224259882847.html

I've only read four of the ten here. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius was fairly self-indulgent on Eggers' part but I enjoyed it nonetheless! Hated The Corrections though, over-rated with horrible characters. I just didn't care about any of them.

I'm not sure about what books I liked from the past decade.... Maybe Zadie Smith's White Teeth, or Sputnik Sweetheart was pretty good but I prefer earlier stuff that Haruki Murakami has written.

There's just way too many books to pick just one really :)

Advertisement