Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our daughter keeps crying in the bath (3 mnts old)

Options
  • 17-11-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

hi all,

our little skamp doesn't seem to like taking baths at all at all. ever since she had her first one she cries in it. don't know if it's just a stigma she's developed or if we're doing something wrong.

water is never too hot or cold - rekon about 25 to 30 deg. we just throw in a bit of porridge as we've been told it's really good for their skin. we use elave shampoo for washing her hair.

we know she doesn't like the cold so we wrap her up immediately in a towel after we're finished (stops crying almost straight away) and dry her asap and then wrap her in a soft warm blanket. so she obviously doesn't like the cold but we can't make the bath water too warm. when we have the heating switched on and it's roasting in the room she'll still cry though.

anyone else have the same problem and what can we do about it. think it's just a water phobia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My daughter done this until she was nearly 8 months old! Hated the bath! Then one day she just took to it! Might just be that she doesn't like it, she will probably come to love it eventually!

How often do you bath her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Try a tub-style bath where the child is sitting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

twice a week in a tub style bath. no more no less. she's in a sitting up position.

ya, i suppose she'll just have to get used to it. it's a pity though coz we'd prefer her to enjoy it now instead of getting all worked up. she just starts kicking and resisting it and crying. kinda used to it now but it was a little distressing at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

All you need to do is to get a large facecloth and soak it in the bathwater before you put her in.
    Then drape the facecloth over her tummy in the bath. Get a second cloth or sponge and keep on "feeding" the facecloth with the bathwater.

Don't worry, it's really common and loads of babies are like that. Trust me the facecloth trick definitely works. Once she doesn't have her skin exposed to the cold air & the difference in temperatures across her torso she will positively love the bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ohhh Finglas neighbour! Hello!!! Just noticed your location lol

She'll get used to it in time. Maybe try her in the sink? Or an older style baby bath?? Instead of the tummy tub!

• Advertisement

Eoineo wrote: »
    All you need to do is to get a large facecloth and soak it in the bathwater before you put her in.
    Then drape the facecloth over her tummy in the bath. Get a second cloth or sponge and keep on "feeding" the facecloth with the bathwater.

Don't worry, it's really common and loads of babies are like that. Trust me the facecloth trick definitely works. Once she doesn't have her skin exposed to the cold air & the difference in temperatures across her torso she will positively love the bath.

she's giving that idea the thumbs up (rather her mother is pulling up her thumb for her). that's a great idea. should have thought of that. will give it a try so and let ye know how it goes. thanks very much.

ohhh Finglas neighbour! Hello!!! Just noticed your location lol

She'll get used to it in time. Maybe try her in the sink? Or an older style baby bath?? Instead of the tummy tub!

yup up on end of mckee avenue for our sins. ya, we have another bath upsatairs but the one we use is really handy - we got a complete baby changing unit with a bath built in on dublinwaste. deadly yoke altogether for storage and convenience. suppose we could bring down the other one and put it on top of the bcu.

you've a post for every year since 0AD. next one up is 2010. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , My daughter was exactly the same .... hated the bath.

By 6 months she had grown out of it.

Think about it , it's a bit scary all your nice warm comfortable clothes are removed and you are dunked in this wet stuff ( all be it warm )

All we did was be as quick as we could be without hurrying .

As I say by 6 months she loved the bath , although washing hair caused tears until about 2 years when she could understand instructions fully ie close eyes blah blah blah

Good luck enjoy your daughter !!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

water is never too hot or cold - rekon about 25 to 30 deg.

This is too cold and maybe contributing to the problem. It should be between 34-40 deg. You can pick up a small bath thermometer in most pharmacies for a couple of quid I'd recommend one. Dry her head and hair immediately after washing, this will also help keep her warm while she's in there, most heat loss is through the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Hey OP,
    Yeah I reckon that the bath water is probably slightly too cold, they are more resilient than you think. The face cloth sounds like a good idea, never tried it.. It would probably make her feel more secure. Both my kids didnt like it until about 8/9 weeks, then they tolerated it and eventually enjoyes it.
    Make sure the room is nice and warm, I find the small baby baths the best as they would make the child feel more secure as I already mentioned.
    Also, if you keep smiling at her, prop her up a bit as they dont really like to be on their backs, (one arm under her, wrapped round her and rub her tummy with your other hand).
    Lastly, if you make the little cooey noises we tend to make at the scrumptious little beings, and gently move her back and forward, she might get used to the sensation of water around her.. If she sees you having fun she might relax a bit.
    Other than this only time will work, some children are just very intolerant of water, and making her feel secure and clodse to you even while shes at her most vulnerable, will surely help:)
    Sorry about the long post, hope some of it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter was in hospital until 3 weeks old and she roared every time she had a bath. When I got her home I made the bath water a bit warmer (about 36-37 degrees - body temp) and she loved her bath after that.

I would think I wouldn't much like being dunked in a bath of water at 25 degrees - brrrrrrrr....;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

another Finglas resident here, hi neighbours!

Anyway, i'd always have the bath around 38 degrees, 25 - 30 is a bit low.
    But, my boy liked the baths at first and then started to despise them. So I started to jump in with him, since then he sees them as being a game and being fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

How often do small babies like that need a bath?
    It is probably more obvious once they start crawling everywhere and actually get visibly dirty, but what about before that?
    Is there a need to do it twice a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Babies puke and dribble a lot and also wear nappies...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

ebmma wrote: »
    How often do small babies like that need a bath?
    It is probably more obvious once they start crawling everywhere and actually get visibly dirty, but what about before that?
    Is there a need to do it twice a week?

Personally I used to do it every day or two depending on how tired I was...nothing to do with cleanliness really, it was more the fact that the routine and the warm water got her to sleep through the night from about 6 weeks. It seemed to be the perfect wind down for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

Sleepy wrote: »
    Babies puke and dribble a lot and also wear nappies...
    Yes, but that's where "topping & tailing" comes in.

Re the temp... I would also agree that it might be worth trying a warmer bath.
    When our eldest was a new baby, we had one of those little plastic rings that you throw in the bath and it changes colour to warn you if the water is too hot. Being new parents (and not having any real clue what we were doing) we religiously abided by this guide.... always kept the water in the temp range specified. And, our little fella HATED the bath! Kicked, screamed... it was horrible, and so distressing for us seeing him so distressed. (Nothing as piercing as a newborns distressed wailing!:()

When he was a few weeks old, my sister (mum of 5) was visiting and we told her the problem, so she watched us bathing him. She was horrified when she felt the temp and said that it was WAY too cold. Of course, we argued with her pointing out that "the ring says it's the right temp" ... she just pushed us aside, took the baby, heated the bath water and eased baby in. And, for the first time he relaxed and enjoyed his bath. And enjoyed every bathtime since. The experienced Mammy knew much better than "the ring" .

Definitely try warming up the water...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Hi OP! I am with the others here in recommending a slightly warmer bath of around 37 to 38 degrees. I gave DD a bath at the same time every night as part of her bedtime routine for the first 5 mths (till I went back to work), followed by a massage and it used to knock her out cold asleep. Now at 19mths I give her a bath every weekend and if she gets grubby or has a really nasty nappy on a weekday she has a quick shower at bedtime. She still sleeps better after her bath or shower!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Personally I used to do it every day or two depending on how tired I was...nothing to do with cleanliness really, it was more the fact that the routine and the warm water got her to sleep through the night from about 6 weeks. It seemed to be the perfect wind down for her.

I was just curious because I don't think I'll have heart to subject my little one to daily bath. The house is usually quite cold, so even I won't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 holeary

Have you tried getting in a big bath with her? i know hygiene is not the best but maybe she feels insecure because your not right there. Our first hated baths till i bathed with her and then it became a really nice bonding experience for me and her. i held her in the bath so she'd be warm from my body heat and then put her in and she started to feel more comfortable and eventually felt ok to bath on her own, except now our son gets in too!

• Advertisement

thanks for all the great advice guys. will invest in bath thermometer and let ye all know if things improve. Don't think id fit in the bath with her. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

This is too cold and maybe contributing to the problem. It should be between 34-40 deg. You can pick up a small bath thermometer in most pharmacies for a couple of quid I'd recommend one. Dry her head and hair immediately after washing, this will also help keep her warm while she's in there, most heat loss is through the head.
    +1
    Think about it OP...your child will have a body temp of about 36-37.5 . Anything cooler will just feel cold to her. try getting her bath water up to body temp and she how she goes....also try pourin some water over her back, shoulders, tummy..it should feel nice and comfortable.

My two boys just seemed to take to their baths no problem..so much so Im bathing one of them every night nearly...although my 2 yo now enjoys the shower.

TBH I think its all about making the experience as comfortable as possible...and dont forget, you need to be relaxed as well...no fussing...worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My son since day one has always adored the bath, but my trick was, when he was a small, I went for a few baths with him, I spent a good 10 minutes playing with him and me (terribly) singing! He loves it, I dont do it much anymore with him but he loves baths now, and still loves my singing, my poor fella, he knows I am tone-deaf but he just smiles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

will invest in bath thermometer

Sorry - have to say this - bath thermometer my arse! Your hand is the best thermometer - if it's warm on the back of your hand it's ok for her. If it's hot on your hand then it's too hot for her. If it's cold then she'll freeze in it. There's a thermometer for you :)

I had to throw this in because the amount of unnecessary crap that's thrown at new parents by advertisers is ridiculous.

But back to the OP. She's only a kid. Having a bath is still a new thing to her - she'll cry regardless of the temperature of the water. My two screamed in baths until they were well over 12 months. Even now - at 6 - they still resist the idea of a bath - which is fine cos we shower them now anyway. :D Kids cry - it's nothing to worry about.

Try leaving the towels on the radiator while she's in the bath so she'll be toasty getting out. Haven't heard about porridge before but if she's sensitive skin (or prone to eczema) make a pot of chamomile tea and put that in the bath water. Silcock's Base is also good if her skin dries out.

But if none of that applies just remember she's just a child and she'll cry in the bath no matter what you do.

Macros42 wrote: »
    Sorry - have to say this - bath thermometer my arse! Your hand is the best thermometer - if it's warm on the back of your hand it's ok for her. If it's hot on your hand then it's too hot for her. If it's cold then she'll freeze in it. There's a thermometer for you :)

so what happens if you happen to have cold or hot hands at the time of checking the bath water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's only a guideline. Just as a thermomoter is. If the child is hot then a lukewarm bath would feel cold to her - just as if she's cold a warm bath will feel hot. A thermometer won't take that into account.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Macros42 wrote: »

It's actually your elbow that is the best thermometer!

Advertisement