Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting cover around Storage heater

Options
  • 17-11-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Renovating an office and client wants to cover Dimplex Electric storage heater with an MDF type cover.
    I have read manufacturers instructions and they say nothing should be within 500mm of top of heater.
    She is happy for me to build large cover but eventhough I am within manufacturers recommendations and will have large vents at bottom and top I am still concerned about risk of fire. Storage heaters can be set at high input and get much hotter than radiators overnight. The MDF could get dryer than it's normal moisture content and be even more likely to instantaneously combust.

Any views or opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Enclosing a storage heater even with vents is prob not a good idea .The vents may even attract rubbish creating a greater hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

One of our offices had a small fire recently when someone thought it was a good idea to use a storage heater as one wall of a small paper mountain!

These shouldn't be enclosed in my view, a shelf is all the manufacturers recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

There's quite a few wiring rules regarding fire hazard.Distances from heaters and bulbs etc.
    A couple of general rules are not to create a fire hazard with an electric heater and also to refer to manufacturers instructions regarding installation

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Does she want it covered because it's an eyesore but still wants the function of it?
    You could get it replaced with a new one, the newer duoheat models are much better looking.
    An old storage heater not only looks shabby but with the buildup of dust they generally stink too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭PaddyThai

Storgae heater needs to be covered as it doesn't suit the interior design.

Have opted to build cover with openings on top (in shelf) and bottom to allow air movement. As warm air will go straight out at top and not be diverted out the front, it should disperse quicker. Distance from top of storage heater to underside of MDF shelf will ne 500mm.

I'm told MDF has flame retardent in it but will need to check that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if you cover a storage heater they can and do cut off, the thermal overload kicks in and the heater wont work, this warning is in the manual for good reason I have seen storage heaters cut out due to people hanging clothes on them, it is not one of those cover your backside warnings. :)

Advertisement