Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street photographers: Judge this for me

• 17-11-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Urban and street photography is so far beyond my usual forte that I have no idea of the image is actually good or bad. I went out. I captured it. I processed it, and while I am happy with its technical merits, it is beyond me whether this is actually good or bad in the arena of street photos.

EDIT: #2 is the original, untouched image. I included it for comparison.

http://www.newworldphotos.net/blog/archives/1636/

1.jpg

2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

No expert on street pics but i really like this shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Well, it's definitely a street....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I definitely wouldn't call it street photography, but I like it!

Edit: the top one, not the pink one...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Chochese wrote: »
    Well, it's definitely a street....

It's a very nice pic but Chochese bangs the nail on the head: it's a picture of a street. As opposed what I'd imagine what some people may consider "street photography".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

more an urban landscape then?

btw - i do like it. a little more contrast but tis cool all the same

EDIT: like refers to the first one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Well the pink one is just plain awful imo. The other is as has been said a photo of/on a street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'd have to agree. It's more urban landscape. Nice photo and all. Doesn't do an awful lot for me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Covey wrote: »
    Well the pink one is just plain awful imo. The other is as has been said a photo of/on a street.

The pink one is the original. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Fenster wrote: »
    The pink one is the original. :)

Doesn't change my opinion on it, sorry :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

the top one (although not street photography as i understand it) is fantastic.

not really liking the pink version though.

i like it because of the still figures on the right and the motion on the left.

either you waited ALL DAY for the perfect moment....... or else you just got lucky!! but it's my kind of photo and i love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Interesting photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I like the top one but think it needs more contrast maybe..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I wouldn't really class this as street photography but obviously, thats just my interpretation. I like the angle and I like the movement but its I think its too empty. There isn't enough to look at in it. I think street photography should have something that catches your eye.

Sorry this just isn't floating my boat but fair play to ya for trying something new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Interesting that you used an IR filter, there's not too much of the 'IR' look about the b&w one, probably because there's no black sky or vegetation, looks a bit like it's been done with an ND filter.

I like it though, bit less blurring in the crowd would make the talking pair stick out a bit, and they'd be sharper with a faster exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I like it, the pink one not so much.

Interesting that you used an IR filter, there's not too much of the 'IR' look about the b&w one, probably because there's no black sky or vegetation, looks a bit like it's been done with an ND filter.

I like it though, bit less blurring in the crowd would make the talking pair stick out a bit, and they'd be sharper with a faster exposure.

It's interesting that you feel that way, because I actually had wholly the opposite intention in mind when I composed this image - I want to portray busy locations as bleak and empty by doing multi-minute exposures (f/22, ISO 100, etc.).

Has anyone a 30D cable release handy? :)

I want to portray busy locations as bleak and empty by doing multi-minute exposures (f/22, ISO 100, etc.).

I don't understand any of the science Popebuck was posting about there but your pic is a very still, cosy and comfortably populated image...it's like Prozac for the eyes. Which is nice...a nice pleasantly snug picture.

I have a hard time with sarcasm, but I'll assume you are: I enjoy the bleak and the empty. While I never set out with that intention in mind I found that it had become such a constant result in my photos, I embraced it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Ah I see what you are going for, sort of like the street is permanent, and it's occupants fleeting? You've pretty well achieved that then, apart from the pair standing still, you should have thrown stones at them!

I have a hard time with sarcasm, but I'll assume you are: I enjoy the bleak and the empty. While I never set out with that intention in mind I found that it had become such a constant result in my photos, I embraced it.

Eh no, sorry I wasn't being sarcastic. Just saying how I see the image in comparison to what you were going for.

No sarcasm...I don't like using it or having it used either.

• Advertisement

Ahh, fair enough. :) I don't mind any sarcasm, but I have a hard time picking up on it usually.

Advertisement