Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Trolley - use old 2p coin to release

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is in the correct forum, but I found out the other day that an old 2p coin, Irish or English is the same circumference as a €2 coin and it will release an Aldi trolley from it's locking bay.

It is handy to keep in the car/purse away from other coins so you'll be able to use it over and over. I know you can get key fobs that work in the €1 slot for most other supermarkets and I haven't seen a €2 version, and in these hard times a €2 coin doesn't stay long in your pocket and I always had to queue for change in Aldi for a trolley. Have a root around the house, you may have an old 2p coin that will come in handy at some stage!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

drill a little hole in it and keep it on your keyring :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Not sure if this is in the correct forum, but I found out the other day that an old 2p coin, Irish or English is the same circumference as a €2 coin and it will release an Aldi trolley from it's locking bay.

It is handy to keep in the car/purse away from other coins so you'll be able to use it over and over. I know you can get key fobs that work in the €1 slot for most other supermarkets and I haven't seen a €2 version, and in these hard times a €2 coin doesn't stay long in your pocket and I always had to queue for change in Aldi for a trolley. Have a root around the house, you may have an old 2p coin that will come in handy at some stage!

If you bring the trolley back to the trolley bay like you're supposed to, you don't lose any money "in these hard times".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Magenta wrote: »
    If you bring the trolley back to the trolley bay like you're supposed to, you don't lose any money "in these hard times".

I think he means he hasn't got the €2 in the first place and that's why he has to queue up to get some change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Wheety wrote: »
    I think he means he hasn't got the €2 in the first place and that's why he has to queue up to get some change.

Got it in one Wheety!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

did you even read the OP?

• Advertisement

I've read over my post a few times and I can't see where I mentioned anything about losing money. I mentioned a time saving tip to save people hassle. The 2p coin is actually more valuable to me than a €2 coin as it saves me time and I can't spend it. I also never mentioned anything about not returning trolleys.
    Are you aware of the €1 fobs that supermarkets actually distribute to their customers for convenience? If it discouraged people from returning trolleys, do you think they'd distribute the fobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I always wonder who discovered this trick though and how?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I've read over my post a few times and I can't see where I mentioned anything about losing money. I mentioned a time saving tip to save people hassle. The 2p coin is actually more valuable to me than a €2 coin as it saves me time and I can't spend it. I also never mentioned anything about not returning trolleys.
    Are you aware of the €1 fobs that supermarkets actually distribute to their customers for convenience? If it discouraged people from returning trolleys, do you think they'd distribute the fobs?

So much drama!!! First the recession, now this!

So much drama!!! First the recession, now this!

Maybe the recession is hitting you hard and you don't want to accept it, the only one mentioned the word was you, classic case of trolling, attacking a post without reading it, then not having the decency to apologise when you realise you made a mistake.

Not every post on here is intended to spark economic debate, and a lot of people find the boards helpful, but with your attitude, people will be discouraged from posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. 20cent coins work on Tesco trollies, as they're roughly the same size as english pound coins. Not sure if they work on Aldi trollies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How is it more convenient to carry around another coin of similar size and shape to a €2 coin? Unless as mentioned above you make a keyring out of it, you'll have this extra coin in your pocket all the time and be unable to spend it.

the_syco wrote: »
    Meh. 20cent coins work on Tesco trollies, as they're roughly the same size as english pound coins. Not sure if they work on Aldi trollies.

Aldi trolleys need a €2 coin, so I don't think the 20c coin will work, but thanks for the tip regarding Tesco trolleys.

MarkR wrote: »
    How is it more convenient to carry around another coin of similar size and shape to a €2 coin? Unless as mentioned above you make a keyring out of it, you'll have this extra coin in your pocket all the time and be unable to spend it.

I would keep it in the car as stated, also the keyring is an excellent idea, I wouldn't keep it in my pocket though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

K-9 wrote: »
    i remember using stacks of the old penny coins years ago in a cigarette vending machine as they were the same size as the old pound coins:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

Used to work in aldi and found the ring pulls on the cans of spam/canned meat can unlock the trollies, they dont say in it either so you can pop it back in your pocket!!

I keep one on my keys..

Maybe the recession is hitting you hard and you don't want to accept it, the only one mentioned the word was you, classic case of trolling, attacking a post without reading it, then not having the decency to apologise when you realise you made a mistake.

Not every post on here is intended to spark economic debate, and a lot of people find the boards helpful, but with your attitude, people will be discouraged from posting.

Thanks for the psychological evaluation. Don't worry, I ordered the violin background music when you mentioned "in these hard times" in your first post. Should be hearing the strings any minute now!

I think I can hear them now, is it Vivaldi?

I think I can hear them now, is it Vivaldi?

Love your sig...imitation is the most sincere form of flattery

Glad you like it, it was my way of saying thanks for keeping this post on Page 1 and therefore letting lot's of people see it. Pity it took a Troll taking the post off topic, but the end justifies the means in these times of hardship and cutbacks!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

K-9 wrote: »

When I went to Berlin in 1990 I brought along bags of old 5p coins - they were the same size as a D-mark (worth around 40p) and worked in most phones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement