Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy...

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I got 505 points in the Leavin and I am doing Biomedical science...

I have no interest into the course I am doing (didn't do research into this course when applying CAO >.< )...but I am interest into Physiotherapy...(my second choice on the CAO)

However, I don't have enough points to meet the entry requirement to switch the course...

What should I do?

Do I have to repeat all my subjects for the leaving cert? :( Could I repeat just 1 or 2 subjects this year to get a better grade?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You can't repeat 1 or 2 subjects to boost your points. Otherwise people would just take like 2 subjects a year and get 600 over 3 years easily enough. If you have the points but missed out on matriculations you can repeat those. If you want to drop out and apply again through the CAO then yeah, unfortunately you'll have to repeat your leaving cert :(

Sometimes you can transfer between courses, but I don't know very much about that. Best talk to your programs office, sooner rather than later as there may be deadlines. Tbh dunno anything about it though...

Make sure you really research into physio and are sure you want to do it. It's a tough course.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Unfortionatly you can't change. I did physio and a friend of mine was in the exact same position and you need the CAO points to transfer.

Bear in mind though an increasing number of colleges have graduate places, RCSI take 20 every year mostly with science degrees who do a 3 year degree. I know its not ideal but seriously the jobs outlook is so bad for the next 3/4 years + there'll be a backlog of people from years of joblessness so it's no bad thing going the long route. Also RCSI grads do well for jobs, possibly as so many of them have 2 degrees which is a plus for employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bloodmager

Is the career opportunity for a graduated physiotherapist really that bad?

I have been looking at various websites about physiotherapy...and I find it very interesting. And I knew that every courses in University are hard..

I did 7 subjects for the leaving...If I am going to repeat the Leaving Cert, would I just need to repeat the best six subjects? (English does not counted for my best six in the 09 Leavin cert)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

bloodmager wrote: »

I have been looking at various websites about physiotherapy...and I find it very interesting. And I knew that every courses in University are hard..

I did 7 subjects for the leaving...If I am going to repeat the Leaving Cert, would I just need to repeat the best six subjects? (English does not counted for my best six in the 09 Leavin cert)

At the moment in Ireland yes, but there's lots of opportunities abroad, and when there is money around again there'll be an awful lot of jobs as they haven't been hiring for some time now.

Yeah you can just do 6 subjects, unless they're bringing in the HPAT thing in for physio like medicine but I haven't heard that they are yet. And its not an easy course, but once you do a decent amount of work its grand, there's a couple of tricky subjects but by and large people rarely fail exams, bar those that don't do anything at all.

dajaffa wrote: »
    At the moment in Ireland yes, but there's lots of opportunities abroad, and when there is money around again there'll be an awful lot of jobs as they haven't been hiring for some time now.

Yeah you can just do 6 subjects, unless they're bringing in the HPAT thing in for physio like medicine but I haven't heard that they are yet. And its not an easy course, but once you do a decent amount of work its grand, there's a couple of tricky subjects but by and large people rarely fail exams, bar those that don't do anything at all.

My best six are: Chemistry, Biology, Physic, Maths, Applied maths and Geography....

So I wouldn't need to do English then? Also....geography has a project writeup but what happen if I repeat the exam?

Thanks

• Advertisement

My best six are: Chemistry, Biology, Physic, Maths, Applied maths and Geography....

So I wouldn't need to do English then? Also....geography has a project writeup but what happen if I repeat the exam?

Thanks

You'd be better asking a guidance counsellor or people over in the Leaving cert forum, but no you wouldn't have to repeat English as long as you passed it last time, which you must've already done to be in UCD.

I presume you'd have to repeat the geography project, I wouldn't think you'd be allowed use your old grade for it. Same way you can't combine last years results with a subsequent LC for the purpose of points. Though you might be allowed use it and just resubmit it...

Again though, you'd be much better off asking the LC forum/guidance counsellor about Leaving cert issues. They'll know more about the ins and outs of repeating the Leaving Cert than UCD students.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, I was told pretty much all the graduates from TCD this year have gone to New Zealand to work or are unemployed. (Good way to see the world though!)

You've got all the science subjects which is good as they are all covered in first year.

Just make sure you have a look at the actual subjects you will be studying if you take up the course. Physiology is the killer for 1st year, well in TCD anyway with a lot of people failing it in the summer exams. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

If you're Biomed you're in my anatomy lectures :)
    I'm doing Health & Performance Science which is basically the same as Physio in the 1st year. You're at a HUGE advantage having done all 3 sciences! I didn't do chemistry or physics and finding them tough.

If you're Biomed you're in my anatomy lectures :)
    I'm doing Health & Performance Science which is basically the same as Physio in the 1st year. You're at a HUGE advantage having done all 3 sciences! I didn't do chemistry or physics and finding them tough.

I have my practical @4 pm monday, if we are in the same practical! I am doing research in the internet about physio and I am 80%sure that I want to do it! the rest of 20% is that I have to repeat my leavin cert and jobs outlook over the next few years... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nameajaysus

I'm doing Physiotherapy in the UK and was looking into a transfer back to Dublin. Does anyone know if it makes a difference that I'm currently studying physio, seeing as I don't have the points that were required to study in UCD in the first place..?

• Advertisement

I'm doing Physiotherapy in the UK and was looking into a transfer back to Dublin. Does anyone know if it makes a difference that I'm currently studying physio, seeing as I don't have the points that were required to study in UCD in the first place..?

As dajaffa said:
    dajaffa wrote: »
    Unfortionatly you can't change. I did physio and a friend of mine was in the exact same position and you need the CAO points to transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nameajaysus

Ok, thanks for the info :)

Advertisement