Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolf Dogs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

ISDW wrote: »
    Unfortunately the breed still isn't recognised by any kennel club

Is that not a good thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

lightening wrote: »
    Is that not a good thing?

:DDepends on your point of view I guess. But I know that people that breed them responsibly are always up against advocates of other breeds, because its not a KC recognised breed.

I know there has been much debate through the years about the Northern Inuits, but having now met a few, and seen some of them working in harness, they're lovely dogs and fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Considering the actions of both the UK & Irish kennel clubs to date regarding new breeds & breed standards, any good breeder of NI's is better staying away.

It is amazing how consumer rights include a phrase "fit for purpose" but Dog Breeders feel that this does not apply to them. The Kennel Club should publish a list of approved breeders & guarantee the dogs that are bought from them. There is enough profit being made to pay for this.

But with so many dogs being destroyed lets have a campaign & incentives for people to take rescues for example no license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Look at tamaskans they too have the wolfy look

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ISDW wrote: »
    There are Northern Inuits, and there is a reputable breeder in Ireland, doing health checks etc. Unfortunately the breed still isn't recognised by any kennel club, but maybe one day that will change. I've met a few NIs now, and they're lovely dogs. Definitely have the wolf look, but not the traits. In fact, they're 'easier' than siberian huskies, as the ones I've met can be let off lead and have great recall.
    They look very similar to the "wolf look" that people want alright. I'm impressed that they dont seem to have the traits too. As I said in the last post the wolf "nature" tends to follow the wolf look. With hybrids anyway.

I can see the attraction. That wild vibe that people feel they need in their lives. The notion of what a wolf is. The ultimate wild thing. It's very strong in us. Not always for the f**kwit macho thing either. Having dealt with them up close there is a spark of recognition. They're variable and strong and weak and affectionate and surprisingly dopey :D But you could say the same of dogs too. Why not they are the same but for small diffs. TBH I would even go so far as to say I would love if it a wolf could live with people and thrive in that environment. If they were a recognised "breed" even. It would mean more and more of them would live and survive outside the wild. In a way its a pity they can't. But they can't. Indeed mixing them with dogs dilutes them even more. That they don't need. Their very wildness should stop us from taming them. Hippie though that may sound.

The joke is that the little King Charles Spaniel in your living room is a wolf already. He and his ancestors just fitted in with us more. One researcher even crossed a wolf with a small french poodle and in one generation they were well clued into us.

So I would say cherish and look after the wolf that greets you with his lopsided grin when you need him most. The one that chews your furniture and pees on your newly laid wood floor. And look after him or her when he or she needs you most. And leave the wild fella alone. He's there to remind us of where we both came from. Lose him as "pet" and you reduce us both a little.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Are you sure that you are not Shaun Ellis in disguise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

There have been so many threads on this subject. A simple search would reveal much of the info that has been posted here. It must be clear to anyone that Wolf Hybrids are a very bad idea. I would be the last to ever suggest any form of censorship but the sad fact is that some people may be encouraged to consider getting such a dog by reading some posts.

A search would also of revealed that this can be an emotive subject especially as a couple of us have actually met/worked with Wolf hybrids. Every time that this subject comes up someone will post that they know of a nice cuddle hybrid that is just like a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Iolar wrote: »
    I resent been called an idiot,such a nice forum this place is,you ask a simple question and your batterd by petty insults

No-one called you specifically an idiot and I failed to see any "petty insults". You were given a very comprehensive rundown on why wolf hybrids should not be considered as pets and because it wasn't the answer you wanted, you've gone on the defensive.

As Discodog stated above, this is a hugely emotive issue for people who genuinely care about dogs, made worse by the number of posters who come on this forum posting about wanting a "Wolf", are given all the same information as you were and because it's not telling them what they want to hear, go "Well fcuk you all, I'm getting one anyway".

It just makes me wonder why people bother asking for advice if they're just going to ignore it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement