Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

Options
  • 18-11-2009 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hey guys, im in 5th year at the moment and i was wonderining if maybe i shud (and could) take up applied maths as an extra subject. My school only offers it if enough people want it and they didnt so i'm not doing it in school but i've been looking up stuff bout it since and apparantly it is very straight forward if you are mathematically minded, which i wud say i am, and actually helps your higher maths and physics, which i do both of and am finding pretty easy so far.
    So i guess, after that long and winding spiel, i'm asking if i shud take applied maths up outside school and if so, if iot like a grind, wud i need to do like lesson a week until leaving or more? and plus as extra info im doing 8 subjects all ready, all higher and i intend to sty in higher but i find that the mathsy subjects are easier to study so i thought if i took up applied maths it might be relatively easy to do well in and i dont have to concentrate as much on other subjects. is it true its relatively easyt to do well in??

thanks and sorry for such a long post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tanora78

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

It appears to be an easy subject if you look atmpercentages of As, etc. However, bear in mind that most people who choose it will already be pretty good at maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

blubloblu wrote: »
    It appears to be an easy subject if you look atmpercentages of As, etc. However, bear in mind that most people who choose it will already be pretty good at maths.

yeah, i guessed that but to be honest, and not being cock or anything, i'm probably one of the best if not the best in my year in maths.. theres only 60 people in my year tho but still..:rolleyes: im already doing japanese outside of school you see too so this wud be a ninth subject but i still really wanna do it cos i think i can do really well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

blubloblu wrote: »

That means nothing! Only about 5000 tops do it, and I have a feeling it was less last year. Now, out of those 5000, at least half are maths-ey and half of them again would probably we solid A1's. So statisitics means nothing.

If you have any inclination to do Engineering, in any field, do it. Even if you don't sit the exam you can sit back in 1st year Mechanics as a result! Its a serious help. However, if your looking for points, only do it if:

1) Your willing to do alot of extra work off your own back (And I mean, alot)
    2) You have a firm grounding in Maths (Your at least in C / B territory)
    3) Preferably have a reasonably understanding in Physic's

It isn't an easy or given A. (That's from personal experience)

Oh, and the two books on the market are now pretty much useless. So be prepared to ask questions and go to grind days etc.

EDIT: You certainly don't need 9 subjects mate. Seriously. No one will care come the results. Just get what you need because many of my high flying 600 points learnt the hard way - No one cares after next August. Plus its jusy extra hassle you won't need in March / April next year.

ironclaw wrote: »
    That means nothing! Only about 5000 tops do it, and I have a feeling it was less last year. Now, out of those 5000, at least half are maths-ey and half of them again would probably we solid A1's. So statisitics means nothing.

If you have any inclination to do Engineering, in any field, do it. Even if you don't sit the exam you can sit back in 1st year Mechanics as a result! Its a serious help. However, if your looking for points, only do it if:

1) Your willing to do alot of extra work off your own back (And I mean, alot)
    2) You have a firm grounding in Maths (Your at least in C / B territory)
    3) Preferably have a reasonably understanding in Physic's

It isn't an easy or given A. (That's from personal experience)

Oh, and the two books on the market are now pretty much useless. So be prepared to ask questions and go to grind days etc.

EDIT: You certainly don't need 9 subjects mate. Seriously. No one will care come the results. Just get what you need because many of my high flying 600 points learnt the hard way - No one cares after next August. Plus its jusy extra hassle you won't need in March / April next year.

thanks a lot for your help man.. em, i do physics and wud hope to get an A anyway im pretty good at it.. i wud also be going for an A1 in maths, and i'd be sure enuogh i could get that. Yeah i dont think i wud teach the complete course to myself, that would be hard work. i think i would get a grind or a class for most if not the rest of the two years.
    and finally no i don't think i really wanna do engineering but im not really sure at all though.. i think i might wanna do something mathsy anyway though. thanks again:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Applied Maths is brilliant. nihongo mo wa sugoi desu yo. 8 subjects is plenty for the Leaving though. Give up some boring ones instead!

Applied Maths is brilliant. nihongo mo wa sugoi desu yo. 8 subjects is plenty for the Leaving though. Give up some boring ones instead!

haha lol:D.. yeah i love japanese and think i'll like app maths.. problem is i have to do 7 subjects at least in school. we're not allowed do only 6 in school time, i'd have ****loads of free periods, yknow. im doing japanese outside school already u see. but i still wanna do applied maths:(

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

ruadhan wrote: »
    haha lol:D.. yeah i love japanese and think i'll like app maths.. problem is i have to do 7 subjects at least in school. we're not allowed do only 6 in school time, i'd have ****loads of free periods, yknow. im doing japanese outside school already u see. but i still wanna do applied maths:(
    私は日本語 が 大好き です! ^_^ I'm also an AM teacher, so do be aware I'm biased!

Are you a good student? Not just academically, but attitude-wise? (rhetorically asked). If you have endeared yourself to the school authorities, they might consider some leniency, if you've really proved that you're serious about your extra subjects and would use those free periods wisely. You might have to do 9 for 5th year, maybe. Talk to your class teacher / year head / deputy principal / councillor, if your school still has any of these that is approachable after the education cuts.

頑張ってください

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

thanks a lot for your help man.. em, i do physics and wud hope to get an A anyway im pretty good at it.. i wud also be going for an A1 in maths, and i'd be sure enuogh i could get that. Yeah i dont think i wud teach the complete course to myself, that would be hard work. i think i would get a grind or a class for most if not the rest of the two years.
    and finally no i don't think i really wanna do engineering but im not really sure at all though.. i think i might wanna do something mathsy anyway though. thanks again:D

Your welcome mate. But don't be so sure of yourself! I don't mean that in a bad way but: "and i'd be sure enuogh i could get that" If there is one thing the LC isn't, its predictable. Plenty of people do well but some who should do well don't do well. You must play the worst sceanrio game until June. You really should. I got well over 520 but I forecasted my CAO right back to 300 points.

I was hoping for an A2 in Applied Maths, I got a C1. Note the difference! :pac:

You will need at least one class a week for two years. If you can do two that would be better. Certainly don't do a big 2 hour one, two 1 hour sessions are better. Plus you can do homework and ask questions.

i think i might wanna do something mathsy anyway though. - Have you looked at the CAO at all? Not being bias and in no way nasty, but pure maths has nearly zero job prospects. Maths is a big part of Enginneering and the job market is exponetially bigger. Economics is probably the closest to pure maths you can get or Actuary. But then again, thats business and from personal experience doesn't always suit the pure math-atians amoungst us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If you are thinking of going into engineering do it, if not you got to weigh it up against your other subjects are you likely to do use it for points, if not I'd say don't bother.

I did it as an extra subject but more or less dropped irish, just did pass and got a c in it. So i was using applied maths for points.
    I got by on one class a week and got a B1 with not a huge ammount of work as good at maths anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

i think i might wanna do something mathsy anyway though.

I'm in First Maths Science in UCC. I didn't do applied maths for the leaving cert, but quite a lot of the others in the year did. I'm told that having applied maths has been a major help in a few of the subjects we are doing- mechanics and physics (an elective module) in particular.

If you are probably going to do a maths- related course, doing applied maths could benefit you a fair bit in college. However, doing 9 subjects for the leaving cert seems like a massive undertaking, and you'll need to be sure that other subjects won't suffer as a result of this.

If you think you can manage it then go for it, and it will stand to you. But if not, you shouldn't really be at a disadvantage in college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Never went to a single class in Applied Maths, flicked through the book a couple of times in second year and did a couple of exam questions just to see if I could do them based on Physics and HL Maths.

I ended up getting a D in Higher and was working pretty much up til the end of the exam, not great but goes to show how easy it can be if you're good at Maths and Physics (Got an A1 in HL Math and either a B2 or B3 in Physics), if you get some classes in it or even just get someone who's done it before to go over some stuff with you you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Tbh if you are strong in maths and physics it is just a matter of learning the different formulae for the different questions. You only have to do 6 and question 10 is pure maths and differentiation most of the time so you really only have 5. IMO if you can find a good grinds teacher then go for it!

But if your struggling to keep up any of your subjects with it too you will have to look over your timetable and try to cut one subject out no matter how much it hurts :pac: better do 8 then have a mental breakdown with 9!

Advertisement