Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shouted at today by a shop assisstant..

Options
  • 18-11-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

I went into a local shop i wont say where and i have shopped there for a long time and a few times before they have over charged me so i always inquire exactly how much things are before i pay for them. Today i knew the amount should be 4e and the lady told me it was 5.99e so i said that couldnt be right and she said one item was 1.99 when it was 50c and another was 1e when it was 35c, she said where would you get them for that price and was rude and told me to speak to manager, so i did and he informed me i was correct as they were dated, then she came down and manager told me to go ahead and get my stuff and pay for it..

i went to the counter and she said she wouldnt serve me so i went back to the manager and he told her to go out the back and got another assistant to serve me, whilst i was at the counter being served she came by and said i was a bitch and whilst walking away said i wouldnt be served here, so i went back to the manager and he said he was the boss and of course i could be serve, she is sent out the back again. This lady said i always am the same but its my right to make sure im not being over charged and its no like it hasnt happened before, i always querie them if the amount seems wrong.

I am in shock and upset, i went and got the few bits, but am so mad now dont know what should i do. i told the boss i spend a good bit of money there each week and he said he was glad of the custom, but i just dont know should i go back in and speak to him again as i am so taken aback by her behaviour..

Anyone had similar stories or any advice what to do, just to pee her off i didnt want to stop going there but might not bother..

Cheers all, good to get it off my chest..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

That is insane. If I were that manager, that assistant would be out on her arse so fast...
    Certainly doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. I suspect there was a little tiff going between the assistant (or non-assistant, if you like) and the manager before you came in, and your querying fanned the flames on that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd suggest to the manager that you think she's on the take as she seems to overcharge you for goods, maybe she's putting a penny in her own pocket i'd also tell him about the comment she passed and explain to him that it upset you.
    I'm sure her boss would love to know all this, maybe he dislikes her as well, sounds like she has a bad attitude, your formal complaint might give him the ammo he needs to sort her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I wouldnt suggest you do that drunkmonkey unless you have serious proof. its called slander.

Op i would write to the owner of the shop and express your views to the person who is in charge as opposed to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭misty76

Shelflife wrote: »
    I wouldnt suggest you do that drunkmonkey unless you have serious proof. its called slander.

Op i would write to the owner of the shop and express your views to the person who is in charge as opposed to the manager.

To be honest this guy who is actually quite reasonable may be the manager and owner. Not sure, first time i seen him there so he may be the owner.

Feel i should go in with a clearer head and go through it with him again never seen the likes of it before, i worked in a supermarket for 3 years when i was younger and we were trained to respect the customer so bad customer service is a bug bear of mine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Yer not going to get any satisfcation from here I think - so perhaps an anonymous letter to the local rag would wake them up. Joe Duffy would eat this up aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Shelflife wrote: »

who called who a bitch?, to prove slander a court would need to prove op's suggestion(opinion) true or false, i'd guess the court would be unable to prove it one way or another, case dismissed, also the boss is a witness that something funny went on with the financial transaction that prompted op to call for assistance.

your right though it was a bad idea, but no harm in telling the mamager than in your opinion the same checkout girl has fiddled the change on more than one occasion if she has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

who called who a bitch?, to prove slander a court would need to prove op's suggestion(opinion) true or false, i'd guess the court would be unable to prove it one way or another, case dismissed, also the boss is a witness that something funny went on with the financial transaction that prompted op to call for assistance.

Umm no, I think Shelflife was referring to you telling the OP to tell the manager he/she thinks the assistant is stealing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

misty76 wrote: »
    ...or any advice what to do...

Shop elsewhere, end of story. You don't need this crap. Nobody does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Gonzales wrote: »
    Shop elsewhere, end of story. You don't need this crap. Nobody does.

And let other people get ripped off? Especially older people or kids who will be less likely to stand up for themselves, then people who don't happen to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

can I ask this girls age by any chance, was she a young wan or a moody middle aged lady?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

she said one item was 1.99 when it was 50c and another was 1e when it was 35c, i was correct as they were dated,
    I get that the assistant in question is so far out of line its not funny, but can I just check something on the pricing? Were the items you wanted marked down from the original prices because they were out of date or something? If so, was the assistant trying to charge you full price as she didnt realise?

You say this has happened before. Is this because you seek out marked down goods and the shop are not great at realising they are marked down, or you chose regular goods and they regularly ring them up incorrectly at the till?

Just dont quite get what went down here. Tho its a given that anyone who called a customer a 'b!tch' should not be working in retail any more, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I would have a word with the manager and advise you have been shopping there for several years and you will no longer return if the employee is still at the counter.
    He will most likely fire her or move her to the stores.
    Personally I just wouldnt go back and if they have a head office I would write them a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

snappieT wrote: »
    That is insane. If I were that manager, that assistant would be out on her arse so fast...
    Got to agree with this. Attempts to overcharge you by nearly 50% and then starts calling you names? :D

Where can I go to have these bizarre experiences. My life is so mundane and peaceful, I'd appreciate the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Is the shop part of a chain. If so, call head office and complain and also exaggerate. Tell them she shouted fookin bitch and in front of other customers. and that some of these customers put down their items in disgust and left the store, etc,etc. make her out to be a liability :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oryx wrote: »
    Just dont quite get what went down here.
    Same here, it seems needlessly cryptic or something, I don't think we are getting the full story.
    i always inquire exactly how much things are before i pay for them.
    WHat type of shop is it? do they no have prices on items or something? I think they are legally obliged to have prices.

Today i knew the amount should be 4e and the lady told me it was 5.99e so i said that couldnt be right and she said one item was 1.99 when it was 50c and another was 1e when it was 35c, she said where would you get them for that price
    What were these items? I am confused by her remark as it seems they were mispriced or something.

rubadub wrote: »
    Same here, it seems needlessly cryptic or something, I don't think we are getting the full story.

WHat type of shop is it? do they no have prices on items or something? I think they are legally obliged to have prices.

What were these items? I am confused by her remark as it seems they were mispriced or something.

Not needlessly criptic, exactly what happened. Didnt think i could give the name of the shop but if i could it would be very easy to comprehend for anyone who knows this shop in Dublin

Its a fruit and veg store that sells other goods such as biscuits cakes soups etc on special offer when they are nearly dated..2 for 1e or 3 for 1.50 etc

My problems before are they do not know what prices they are charging, it may be 3 items for a euro and they would charge 1.50 etc. all these 50c etc would add up to the wrong price if i got a few items.

The use an old cash register or there head and seem to be unaware what prices the items are when you get to the till..

TheDriver wrote: »
    can I ask this girls age by any chance, was she a young wan or a moody middle aged lady?

50 i'd say

Oryx wrote: »
    I get that the assistant in question is so far out of line its not funny, but can I just check something on the pricing? Were the items you wanted marked down from the original prices because they were out of date or something? If so, was the assistant trying to charge you full price as she didnt realise?

You say this has happened before. Is this because you seek out marked down goods and the shop are not great at realising they are marked down, or you chose regular goods and they regularly ring them up incorrectly at the till?

Just dont quite get what went down here. Tho its a given that anyone who called a customer a 'b!tch' should not be working in retail any more, regardless.

yes this shop in paticular specalise in these special offers so she is fully aware that items are marked down.. They are dated and a lot of older people and students shop there. Fair enough the soup i bought are on sale also at full price and these ones were in another box but she was so smart saying how would they not be 1.99 and think she was sickened that she was wrong. Didnt even cop she was rining the other item in at a euro till i thought about it after..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Name and shame please....if only to protect us all and maybe have a look at the 'olwan' that would not serve you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

50 i'd say

Ah, she probably thinks she is good to "serve" people
    Personally, I'd say she is charging full price and pocketing money here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Name and shame please....if only to protect us all and maybe have a look at the 'olwan' that would not serve you.
    Go in tomorrow and take a picture of her to post on here. That'll wind her up. :)

Advertisement