Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI CUP FINAL: SPORTING FINGAL v SLIGO ROVERS

• 18-11-2009 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

Really looking forward to this now. Especially after sealing promotion.

Looks like we will have a full squad to pick from.

If we play the way we know we can, then we will give sligo a good game.

Great end, to a great season for us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Best of luck to Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Lads i'm looking for 2 tickets for this if anyone has any spare or can't make it, had 2 but my motor was broken into and they got nicked, i'm sure they assumed it was money in the envolope, i've also posted over in tickets wanted section. Thanks guys and also looking forward to it should be a cracker. Just hope the rain doesn't keep up to much, the pitch in Tallaght has had a couple of problems with water not draining from the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Check out the Sporting Fingal web site ,it shows where the tickets are being sold. If you are in sligo then its a long drive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

cymro wrote: »
    Check out the Sporting Fingal web site ,it shows where the tickets are being sold. If you are in sligo then its a long drive :D

Cheers Man will check it out, i'm in Dublin so handy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Loooking forward to it too,Think it will be a tight game with hopefully a great atmosphere :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think this should be a great game of football, and a good display for the League of Ireland. Both teams like to pass the ball around.

Hopefully there will be a few goals, maybe a 2-1 result.

If the weather is bad, then it's anyone's game. Hopefully it will be a good day out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

how many will likely show up at this?

I'd say it will be a total sellout before the weekend. Fingal selling their allocation and Sligo selling theirs. Very few returns for public sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

I think 8500 is the capacity. So id say it should be a sellout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on the bit o' red!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Come on the Bit O' Red !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bit O' Red vs Unfeasible Amount O' Bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Realistically? 800-900 max. I'll be shocked if anymore than that show up. Rent-a-crowd.com Fingal have it bookmarked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Lads i'm looking for 2 tickets for this if anyone has any spare or can't make it, had 2 but my motor was broken into and they got nicked, i'm sure they assumed it was money in the envolope, i've also posted over in tickets wanted section. Thanks guys and also looking forward to it should be a cracker. Just hope the rain doesn't keep up to much, the pitch in Tallaght has had a couple of problems with water not draining from the pitch.

Do you remember what seats your stolen tickets were for? If so, go to them seats during the match and find out where they got them from. May lead you back to who stole them. I heard it happened at a Billy Connolly show before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Walsh wrote: »
    Realistically? 800-900 max. I'll be shocked if anymore than that show up.

Prepare to be shocked

Dancor wrote: »
    Do you remember what seats your stolen tickets were for? If so, go to them seats during the match and find out where they got them from. May lead you back to who stole them. I heard it happened at a Billy Connolly show before!

Most tickets are free seating for a block. So, you don't have a seat number to identify.

Realistically? 800-900 max. I'll be shocked if anymore than that show up.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

There'll be a full capacity there. At the very least there will be 8,000 attending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Rovers all the way :D

(bit of nostalgia, i was there in 83)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9HlcLw1Mrc&feature=related

stovelid wrote: »

I didnt know Johnston, mooney and o'brian played for us.

Dancor wrote: »

He needs the tickets to get in first :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Realistically? 800-900 max. I'll be shocked if anymore than that show up. Rent-a-crowd.com Fingal have it bookmarked.

why did you waste your time posting that?.. you clearly no nothing about sligo rovers fans AT ALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    why did you waste your time posting that?.. you clearly no nothing about sligo rovers fans AT ALL.

What they come out for the big matches, I want Sligo to win by the way...

stovelid wrote: »

:pac:

daithijjj wrote: »

I was going to post up some footage of our long and prestigous history in the cup but for some reason I coudnt find any:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I was going to post up some footage of our long and prestigous history in the cup but for some reason I coudnt find any:eek:

Dont worry there are not tooo many of ours floating around unless you want glorious, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory typical Irish horror stories:p

Got a whole channel full of them:(

the other cracker from 83:D

Tony Tardelli Stenson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DU.LLAHAN

Fool there was 3500-4000 + at the semi final
    daithijjj wrote: »

Where you there in 94
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwQrVGvQkDk

Just wondering ... but with all the rain of late, and the horrible weather, will the pitch be playable on Sunday? Is there a chance this game will have to be postponed?

Looking at the Met service website, this bad weather is to continue, with heavy rain and local flooding.

Do the FAI have an alternate plan, if the pitch is not playable? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

DU.LLAHAN wrote: »
    Fool there was 3500-4000 + at the semi final

Where you there in 94
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwQrVGvQkDk

I couldnt make the final (looooong story), was at most of the games though that season, willie mcstay did a great job with the team imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

all the sligo rovers fans are having to buy their tickets in gibneys in malahide. i expect 80% to 90% to be supporting sligo.
    Ventre captain as o grady is suspended. brush out and morrison will come on as sub.
    Saw a few photos of the pitch today - a lot of sitting water on it.
    Come on the bitored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Paulw wrote: »
    I'd say it will be a total sellout before the weekend. Fingal selling their allocation and Sligo selling theirs. Very few returns for public sale.

Sligo sold out their official allocation in 24 hours. From what I can gather, Fingal ( either the club or the county council ) have bought a lot of tickets to give away, rather than hand them back.

From what I can gather, Fingal ( either the club or the county council ) have bought a lot of tickets to give away, rather than hand them back.

You're wrong with that. Fingal aren't a charity. They did give some for PR (as all clubs do), but the bulk have been openly sold in shops.

You're wrong with that. Fingal aren't a charity. They did give some for PR (as all clubs do), but the bulk have been openly sold in shops.

They have been on open sale in various shops and also, council staff have been used to try to sell them. However, they havn't been selling. Not enough of them anyway. Fair play to them if they do get 3000 bums on seats for Sunday. I can't see it happening though.

However, they havn't been selling. Not enough of them anyway.

How do you know? Where are you getting your info from?

Not that I really care about their ticket sales, but I'm looking forward to the game Sunday. It should be a good competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They also were offering all the staff in Pavillons SC discounted tickets.;)

BTW HardWorker the tickets are selling very well, not sure who your info is off but mine is from the FAI.

They also were offering all the staff in Pavillons SC discounted tickets.;)

BTW HardWorker the tickets are selling very well, not sure who your info is off but mine is from the FAI.

As I said, I'd be delighted to see that the tickets are selling well. The FAI are obviously getting their info from Sporting Fingal.
    Yep, they are selling discounted tickets and are also giving away a sizeable number.
    Bear in mind that Sporting Fingal had 400 fans at their home cup match against Rovers and brought about 50 to the away replay in Tallaght. You can understand how I might be wondering how they are going to get rid of 3000 tickets for the final. Being a resident of Fingal, I am disappointed to see the amount of man hours that staff of Fingal County Council are putting into this event while councils are introducing, or hoping to introduce water charges etc.

• Advertisement

As I said, I'd be delighted to see that the tickets are selling well. The FAI are obviously getting their info from Sporting Fingal.
    Yep, they are selling discounted tickets and are also giving away a sizeable number.
    Bear in mind that Sporting Fingal had 400 fans at their home cup match against Rovers and brought about 50 to the away replay in Tallaght. You can understand how I might be wondering how they are going to get rid of 3000 tickets for the final. Being a resident of Fingal, I am disappointed to see the amount of man hours that staff of Fingal County Council are putting into this event while councils are introducing, or hoping to introduce water charges etc.

LOL. And you think the water charges are because they are selling tickets, and not that the govt is starving them of money? How comical.

400 at the Rovers game? You're missing a few hundred there. How many supporters did Bray (a premier division team with a supposedly good following) bring to Morton? How many home supporters were there on a night when the rain didn't stop? How many supporters travelled to Bray last Monday to watch the match?

I'm also a resident of Fingal, and I'm delighted to see Sporting Fingal do what it does - promote good football, build community relations, help develop sports within the community, and so much more. It's good that they are doing whatever they can to bring people to football games, and encourage people to follow football.

Fingal are selling a large number of their allocation at face value price, and the tickets are selling well.

Either way, I have my pass for the game, and I'm looking forward to attending, and hoping that those posting negative things about Fingal will see how much the club is growing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Paulw

Its pretty clear his point is that he is unhappy at effectively paying tax twice only to see the council workers working on a private football team

Agree with him or not, he is allowed to be annoyed at that!

LOL. And you think the water charges are because they are selling tickets, and not that the govt is starving them of money? How comical.

400 at the Rovers game? You're missing a few hundred there. How many supporters did Bray (a premier division team with a supposedly good following) bring to Morton? How many home supporters were there on a night when the rain didn't stop? How many supporters travelled to Bray last Monday to watch the match?

I'm also a resident of Fingal, and I'm delighted to see Sporting Fingal do what it does - promote good football, build community relations, help develop sports within the community, and so much more. It's good that they are doing whatever they can to bring people to football games, and encourage people to follow football.

Fingal are selling a large number of their allocation at face value price, and the tickets are selling well.

Either way, I have my pass for the game, and I'm looking forward to attending, and hoping that those posting negative things about Fingal will see how much the club is growing.

You obviously have some connection with Fingal, so fair enough.
    I'll just take you up on the highlighted point: Rovers sold their allocation for that event ( on the terraced side ). Fingal, in their figures to the FAI delegate, gave their attendance on the stand side as just over 400. I know that because I'm involved with Rovers. So they either had "....a few hundred more" or they told porkies to Rovers.
    Also, I am all for Council involvement in sport and community facilities, however, in the current climate, council staff should not be involved in selling tickets for the cup final.
    Fingal should be selling ALL their allocation at face value. The fact that they are selling some at reduced rates and STILL giving away tickets would seem to indicate that they are not really selling well. Again, I genuinely don't take any delight in saying that, so if I sound negative, it's not because I'm deliberately trying to do so.

Up to a million euro being reportingly given to Fingal from the council, see why Hard Worker feels hard done by.

Well unless Fingal plan on buying all the tickets I doubt they'd be faking how much they've sold. My dad gets tickets to nearly all the international matches (even Saturday) through eircom or in this case the FAI and well he can't get his hands on a couple of FAI cup tickets so they must be selling.

Sligo sold out their official allocation in 24 hours. From what I can gather, Fingal ( either the club or the county council ) have bought a lot of tickets to give away, rather than hand them back.

First off, we are trying to promote our club. the council bought none of the tickets. The allocation was given to us fair and square. I have been involved with selling the tickets in my part of fingal. All the tickets have been sold for the full price. It would be nice if you could give us any proof to back up your acquisations.
    They have been on open sale in various shops and also, council staff have been used to try to sell them. However, they havn't been selling. Not enough of them anyway. Fair play to them if they do get 3000 bums on seats for Sunday. I can't see it happening though.

Again id like to see proof.

Who is putting in man ours? Give me some evidence that any of this is taking away from the normal service fingal people are getting. who is giving away discounted tickets again give us some proof to back it up
    You obviously have some connection with Fingal, so fair enough.
    I'll just take you up on the highlighted point: Rovers sold their allocation for that event ( on the terraced side ). Fingal, in their figures to the FAI delegate, gave their attendance on the stand side as just over 400. I know that because I'm involved with Rovers. So they either had "....a few hundred more" or they told porkies to Rovers.
    Also, I am all for Council involvement in sport and community facilities, however, in the current climate, council staff should not be involved in selling tickets for the cup final.
    Fingal should be selling ALL their allocation at face value. The fact that they are selling some at reduced rates and STILL giving away tickets would seem to indicate that they are not really selling well. Again, I genuinely don't take any delight in saying that, so if I sound negative, it's not because I'm deliberately trying to do so.

The rovers game is not a good indication. Our stand was close to being full. 700/800. Of course the crowds where incorrect. Anybody with half a brain could see that. So using the 400 hundred figure to make a point is pointless. All clubs lie about their home crowds in the cup. Of course you will try to tell me thats just fingal, but we all know the truth.

• Advertisement

Up to a million euro being reportingly given to Fingal from the council, see why Hard Worker feels hard done by.

Well unless Fingal plan on buying all the tickets I doubt they'd be faking how much they've sold. My dad gets tickets to nearly all the international matches (even Saturday) through eircom or in this case the FAI and well he can't get his hands on a couple of FAI cup tickets so they must be selling.

Can you back this up with some evidence?

HARD WORKER ( ye right )
    To comment on your post,
    You are posting rubbish just to get a rise out of fingal fans now give it a rest.
    Nothing that you have posted is true end of.

elshambo wrote: »
    Paulw

Its pretty clear his point is that he is unhappy at effectively paying tax twice only to see the council workers working on a private football team

Agree with him or not, he is allowed to be annoyed at that!

I dont think he pays tax on his dole money . And how would he have to pay tax twice? This is wumming of the highest order and has nothing to do with the thread and just another poor attempt to run down Sporting Fingal by Non Worker and the other WUM'S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Okay, the current train of discussion stops here. Two reasons:

- This is a match thread, discussions about the finances around Sporting Fingal and their relationship to the Fingal County Council is very OT;
    - The whole argument is he said / she said. None of you have posted any quotes / links / articles to back up what you're saying. It's all anecdotal;

As such, not only is this stuff off topic, it's rather pointless. The next person to continue the discussion will be banned until well after the Cup Final. Thanks.

Mainly neurtals going to this? I'm heading along myself (only due to the fact of free tickets and no they ain't from Fingal;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Okay, the current train of discussion stops here. Two reasons:

- This is a match thread, discussions about the finances around Sporting Fingal and their relationship to the Fingal County Council is very OT;
    - The whole argument is he said / she said. None of you have posted any quotes / links / articles to back up what you're saying. It's all anecdotal;

As such, not only is this stuff off topic, it's rather pointless. The next person to continue the discussion will be banned until well after the Cup Final. Thanks.

Back to the football...

I hope Rovers win, although there is no pressure on the Torpedo mercenaries because they have no fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Despite living in Fingal (I think) and being raised in Galway would still like to see Rovers win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I shudder at the thought of Fingal representing Ireland in Europe. Although Sligo failed horribly against that crowd from Albania I'll be up for them.

Voltwad wrote: »
    I shudder at the thought of Fingal representing Ireland in Europe.

Why??

They play good football. They pass the ball around. They score goals. They entertain.

I think they'd have a better chance in Europe than many of the LOI teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Without getting myself a ban I probably can't justify that but I do feel that Sligo would represent Ireland better in Europe in terms of support than Fingal would.

• Advertisement
Advertisement