Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI CUP FINAL: SPORTING FINGAL v SLIGO ROVERS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Voltwad wrote: »
    Without getting myself a ban I probably can't justify that but I do feel that Sligo would represent Ireland better in Europe in terms of support than Fingal would.

And there was I thinking that football was more about what happens on the pitch, and the football being played. :rolleyes:

As stated before, a fan base takes time to build, and while Sporting Fingal are a very new club, they are building that fan base very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Paulw wrote: »
    And there was I thinking that football was more about what happens on the pitch, and the football being played. :rolleyes:

As stated before, a fan base takes time to build, and while Sporting Fingal are a very new club, they are building that fan base very well.
    It's more than just what happens on the pitch to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Paulw you are unbelievably biased, or else oblivious to everything around you.
    Sligo would take at least three times as many fans to an away match in Europe than Sporting Franchise would, it's obvious to everyone but you.
    I'm hoping that Sligo win tomorrow, couldn't stand to see SF representing Ireland in Europe for a few years at least.

Sligo would take at least three times as many fans to an away match in Europe than Sporting Fingal would, it's obvious to everyone but you.

I've never once disputed the fan base. I agree that Sligo Rovers have a larger fan base. They've been around a lot longer. No doubt about that, at all.

What is clear from this, and other threads, is that there are a number of people very biased and against Sporting Fingal, not for football reasons, but because the club is new. Is that jealousy? The club is new. It's only starting to build a fan base, and they're doing very well, for their 2nd season in existance.

Through growing popularity and a higher public profile, the fan base for Sporting Fingal will continue to grow rapidly. I've been to almost every home game, and a number of away games too. The fan base is growing, and good publicity is helping grow that more.

At the same time, a team playing good football (which Sligo Rovers also play) is a much better showcase for LOI football than any of the hoofball teams out there.

Thankfully, this cup final is between two teams that both like to pass the ball and play a good style of football, and a style that could do well in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Paulw wrote: »
    What is clear from this, and other threads, is that there are a number of people very biased and against Sporting Fingal, not for football reasons, but because the club is new. Is that jealousy?

We were all jealous of Dublin City too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can see alot of goals tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Can see alot of goals tomorrow.

Not at all. Not with Gavin Peers manning the defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Always been a fan of Sligo, think it was my 2nd Shels game and we played a good sligo side managed by Lawrie Sanchez. Also, the League Cup Final game against them in 96 that went to penos was one of the best games I was ever at. Sligo brought loads of fans, we got a last minute goal. Happy memories!

Edit: By saying "fan" of sligo, I meant it in a LoI team I don't hate sort of way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Its great that all that you can bitch about is Sporting Fingal's fan base as you cant say anything about its football.
    I thought new fans to the league was a good thing and not to be laughed at just because they didnt support your team .
    If the result goes our way im sure the boards will be full of sligo supporters genuine and wummers claiming that the ref robbed them and will be marching on abbotstown wanting a replay :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lads, I don't actually get the way you say Sligo will represent Ireland more, yeah in terms of fans, but in the thing that matters most, the co-efficient, Fingal would represent Ireland a hell of a lot better!! And that is what matters in all fairness, still want to see Sligo win, but that's a point I had to make.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What European competition does winning this get you?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Europa

Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

SantryRed wrote: »
    Lads, I don't actually get the way you say Sligo will represent Ireland more, yeah in terms of fans, but in the thing that matters most, the co-efficient, Fingal would represent Ireland a hell of a lot better!! And that is what matters in all fairness, still want to see Sligo win, but that's a point I had to make.

Excuse my ignorance but why would a Fingal victory be better for the co-efficient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'll be cheering on Sporting Fingal tomorrow, believe they play good football and with a few adjustments could do extremely well in the Premier and Europe next season, they have some great players in their team too. Don't think the amount of fans either club has matters, give Fingal time and I would hope anyway that their fanbase will increase.

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but why would a Fingal victory be better for the co-efficient?

Because after Sligo's horror show this season I'd be 100% sure they'd give it a much better go.

cymro wrote: »
    Its great that all that you can bitch about is Sporting Fingal's fan base as you cant say anything about its football.
    Of course not since they paid for a reasonably talented bunch of mercenaries. They effectively had a Premier Division squad in the First Division.
    Because after Sligo's horror show this season I'd be 100% sure they'd give it a much better go.
    If Sligo don't have players out through injury (or have better strength in depth) next season, I think they'd do much better than last season.

Fingal would still do better though, with their bigger budget and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

no they wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I have to take issue with this comment.:mad:

You obviously haven't being watching Sligo the last couple of seasons.

Most refreshing team in the league with Paul Cook at the helm.

Always go out with a good attitude and are not just content to go for 0-0 away from home that supposedly bigger teams did this last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can you buy tickets at the stadium on match day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Of course not since they paid for a reasonably talented bunch of mercenaries. They effectively had a Premier Division squad in the First Division.

And Sporting Fingal are the first to do this are they? Players came to sporting knowing that they will be paid which is the most important factor for a professional footballer today. Shels paid high wages to win the league, so have cork and bohs so why single out Fingal as if they are the fisrt to do it.?
    Just because the cork team have gone to bits there is no need to be negative about Sporting Fingal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Mainly neurtals going to this? I'm heading along myself (only due to the fact of free tickets and no they ain't from Fingal;)).

Heading myself, should be a good game. Very windy today, if we experience similar conditions tomorrow, it should be a goal fest ala Derry-vs-Pats in '06.

Hope the bit 'o red do the business tomorrow, they serve up some decent football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Where will the Sligo faithful be heading for their pre match beves? The Maldroon, I presume? Wouldnt mind having a bit of banter with our country cousins.:p

cymro wrote: »
    And Sporting Fingal are the first to do this are they? Players came to sporting knowing that they will be paid which is the most important factor for a professional footballer today. Shels paid high wages to win the league, so have cork and bohs so why single out Fingal as if they are the fisrt to do it.?
    Just because the cork team have gone to bits there is no need to be negative about Sporting Fingal.
    They wouldn't be the first to hire mercenaries, but what makes this so interesting is that the mercenaries on the Dublin Mercenaries Merry-Go-Round went down to the First Division.

The situation at my own club has no relation to my opinions on Finglas, just like Dublin City.

You obviously haven't being watching Sligo the last couple of seasons.

Most refreshing team in the league with Paul Cook at the helm.

Always go out with a good attitude and are not just content to go for 0-0 away from home that supposedly bigger teams did this last season.

I have to agree with you there. Sligo do play attractive attacking football. That should make the game much more interesting and competitive.

Both teams like to hold on to the ball, pass the ball, play it around and, score a few goals.

It may not be a goal fest, but I can see it being a good game to watch.

Plastic flags for plastic fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Shocking weather for it. Unbelievable wind. I reckon a lot of neutrals will be turned off going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It's been bad weather for last 5 years.

They will do well to top last year's epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

What was John Delaney at just there?

• Advertisement

Rico calling Torpedo Finglas - "Fingal County". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Rico calling Torpedo Finglas - "Fingal County". :D

Said it a few times at this stage.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Quint wrote: »
    Shocking weather for it. Unbelievable wind. I reckon a lot of neutrals will be turned off going
    The camera shake is giving me motion sickness! It's funny because I can hear the wind getting harder outside my window and that coincides with the camera shaking! :)

Did Rico just say Conan Doyle?? when reffering to Byrne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Rent-a-crowd Fingal out in force! Thats some wind, ruining what would have been a decent game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Did Rico just say Conan Doyle?? when reffering to Byrne?

How right you are Watson!:pac:

20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg

Sligo! 1-0 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

1-0 Rovers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Balls... was out walking the dog when they scored.

God bless Sky+!

• Advertisement

Didn't realise Meenan was with Sligo. Barely got a look in with us at the start of this season. Big blow for Sligo anyway.

Shows how much of an idiot Keely is. Meenan was a very good player. Very direct.

Was another discipline thing afaik.

What a miss from Zayed.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Terrific football on display here

Sligo in particular

Decent game so far this half, cannot believe Zayed miss that.

• Advertisement

Peno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1-1 !

Class Peno, 1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Unbelievable. I blame the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Crackin match!

• Advertisement
Advertisement