Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI CUP FINAL: SPORTING FINGAL v SLIGO ROVERS

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sligo all over the place here

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Very good advertisement for the LOI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Deserved for Fingal County I thought, but not so sure it was a penalty..

Brave penalty to hit it high in that wind..

Ugh, Fingal 2-1, 92nd minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fingal 2-1 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

F*ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Cracking ball into the box for the winner though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Wonderful technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well done to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

F*** sake. What a joke.

• Advertisement

The Sligo right back Boco is an absolutely serious player!, great going forward

Bohs supposedly interested in him, so the rumour mill says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be fair.. Rovers threw that game away with sloppy play over the last 20 minutes!

Bohs supposedly interested in him, so the rumour mill says

Well him and Conor Powell bombing down the flanks is an attractive prospect. Any word on Raf Cretaro leaving?

Well him and Conor Powell bombing down the flanks is an attractive prospect. Any word on Raf Cretaro leaving?

Tommy is supposed to have bid for Cretaro and Mooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Happy household here. Well done Fingal.

Rovers and Bohs both interested from what I've heard but I think he wants to stay with Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

he gave the ball away that led to the peno :p ah he was good alright, some very good performances all round. . .and in very difficult conditions

i always liked gary o'neill but i never remember him playing that well for us

really good game, excellent showpiece of irish football, congrats fingal

Receiving the Cup in an empty stadium. Fair play to George Hamilton, let's hope we have an all-Dublin league, teams with no fans, bankrolled by councils throwing money at mercenaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As opposed to clubs that have to go begging on the radio for bus fare?

Jesus theres no one there at all. The sligo fans didnt hang around. The stand behind where they received the cup was completely empty

As opposed to clubs that have to go begging on the radio for bus fare?

City are a shambles because of the people running the club, and are every bit as bad as the likes of Fingal County and UCD. City need to be kicked out, and a sustainable fans-owned club needs to be set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Receiving the Cup in an empty stadium. Fair play to George Hamilton, let's hope we have an all-Dublin league, teams with no fans, bankrolled by councils throwing money at mercenaries.

So what if they're bankrolled by the council??

City are a shambles because of the people running the club, and are every bit as bad as the likes of Fingal County and UCD.

Fingal and UCD are totally different clubs. UCD mightnt get large attendances but at least it cuts its cloth accordingly and doesnt spend ridiculous amounts of money on wages like other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Yesssss!!!! Feckin delighted, congrats Fingal. Cant wait for next season!!! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, congratulations to Fingal. They're a new club in a massive cachement area and a win like this could really help them to grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Conditions were terrible.

Congrats to Fingal. Overall I thought they were 2nd best but got the goals when it counted.

Rockee wrote: »
    Yesssss!!!! Feckin delighted, congrats Fingal. Cant wait for next season!!! :D

Are you a Fingal fan?

monkey9 wrote: »
    So what if they're bankrolled by the council??
    I don't think councils should be throwing money at professional footballers.

If Fingal weren't bankrolled by the council, if they signed the players they did, they would go bust. If people should have learned anything from the last few years, it's that football clubs should be run as businesses. Most fans have learned this lesson at this stage, and learned it the hard way. Unfortunately, a few individuals still need to be removed from the game in Ireland. It's bad for the game for clubs to be throwing money around like Fingal when there aren't income streams to support it. No doubt Fingals spending will push some people to try and match them.

Fingal and UCD are totally different clubs. UCD mightnt get large attendances but at least it cuts its cloth accordingly and doesnt spend ridiculous amounts of money on wages like other clubs.
    They might be different clubs, but they have a few things in common; they are both from Dublin, they both have no fans. When you have 5/10 Premier Division clubs from Dublin next season (7/10 from the Pale), and almost half the clubs from both divisions, it's bad for the game. The league needs to be restructured to have sustainable, reasonably well-supported clubs, with a wider geographical spread.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Are you a Fingal fan?

Correct, and a damn happy one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I don't think councils should be throwing money at professional footballers.

They're not though! At the moment, it's hard to see how Sporting Fingal can be sustained in the long run but the council aren't the ones pumping the money in. Have a read here for details on the arrangement that they have in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Promotion, Cup win and off to Europe next year. Good season for Franchise.

Correct, and a damn happy one :D

Did you go the game?

Did you go the game?

Nope, am at home with flu. Let me guess, heres a 'Youre not a real fan if...' question creeping up!

Nope, am at home with flu. Let me guess, heres a 'Youre not a real fan if...' question creeping up!

Well letting a flu stop you from going to your club's first ever cup final is absolutely ludicrous if you ask me.

Well letting a flu stop you from going to your club's first ever cup final is absolutely ludicrous if you ask me.

Swine flu :eek: ?

Hmm..dying with a flu, just about able to switch on the telly today with some of the worst wind and rain in the last few years is ludicrous? Sorry I should really stop looking after my health. :rolleyes:

Swine flu :eek: ?

Fcuk it. You could stay away from everyone, or get a big bubble.

Fcuk it. You could stay away from everyone, or get a big bubble.

There was plenty of empty seats anyway :P :pac:

There was plenty of empty seats anyway :P :pac:

True, pig of a day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Franchise in Europe? Please Kill Me! Will the Stadio Mortino Ultras turn up in Belarus? 6 of them maybe.

Walsh wrote: »
    Franchise in Europe? Please Kill Me! Will the Stadio Mortino Ultras turn up in Belarus? 6 of them maybe.

True, takes time to build up a fanbase. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

True, takes time to build up a fanbase. :)
    Whats that ment to mean?

Whats that ment to mean?

You said maybe 6 Sporting Fingal fans would go to Belarus and youre possibly right!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Deserved for Fingal especially after Cretaro went off.

Glad though that Sligo's rested players can now have an extra long rest after that last 10 minutes. Maybe they were match-rusty...:pac:

dfx- wrote: »
    Deserved for Fingal especially after Cretaro went off.

That was the turning point, big time. He was tearing us to bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Great match, poxy weather and by God I've never seen so many junior football teams and youth projects in one stadium (was in the Fingal section). Cracking crowd from Sligo, in good voice too.

Me and Darren Quigley had a bit of banter, apart from he took it a tad serious.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

4124984899_188c7747e9.jpg

4125798068_c323c2d1e9.jpg

TBH dont really like the concept of Fingal but you have to applaud Bucko and the players, a job well done and more to come...........!

Full Set of images here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Only saw the last 20 minutes or so, looked like it had been a decent match. Sligo's Doyle impressed. Their Goalie did not :/

Well done Fingal.

• Advertisement

Whats that ment to mean?

It means they're a new club with a lot of potential, that could bring a lot to the league.

Advertisement