Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI CUP FINAL: SPORTING FINGAL v SLIGO ROVERS

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Delighted for Bucko.
    You have to hand it to Fingal. They pulled out all the stops to ensure they had a decent support. 10 double deckers from all over the county to bring people to Tallaght. They must have handed out about a thousand small flags. Hopefully, some of the obvious number of new fans they had out today will return next season to support them.
    I don't fancy having to go to Morton next season though.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just home from the pub. Great craic with the team and all the club. Wow, what a day.

A great win for Fingal. Great to see so much support there today.

Horrible weather, and both teams had to deal with it. Plenty of good football and good chances at both ends.

Now .... time to download my photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

It means they're a new club with a lot of potential, that could bring a lot to the league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretna_F.C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Terrible comparison that suggests you know nothing about the financial planning behind Sporting Fingal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Terrible comparison that suggests you know nothing about the financial planning behind Sporting Fingal.

And here we go again. I now know the full running behind the club btw.;)

Ah bless the days when football fans talked about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Rockee wrote: »
    Ah bless the days when football fans talked about football.

Doubt many of us were born back then.

bohsman wrote: »
    Doubt many of us were born back then.

Very true, kinda pathetic that this is a thread set up to talk about the FAI cup final and half of the comments has to do with 'rent a crowd Fingal this' and 'budgets' that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Leave us alone for fks sake ;)

• Advertisement

Even if they read that they still would be confused , ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Pure Cork wrote: »
    F*** sake. What a joke.

Are you talking about fingal or your own club. (apologies to decent cork fans)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Bitching in his thread is lol. Well done Fingal twas a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Are you talking about fingal or your own club. (apologies to decent cork fans)

I was talking about the league as a whole.

My views on what's happening at City should be clear (although obviously not clear enough for some people who bring up City thinking I'm excusing my own club when I talk about the structure of the league). There is no need to apologise for a stupid comment, everybody knows the club is a disgrace because of the people running it. Clubs who break the rules should be kicked out. Yes, Fingal are a joke of a club. Anybody with a clue about the game in Ireland knows that there are too many clubs from Dublin in the league. It was madness adding Fingal to the league. Do you seriously not see the problems with the structure of the league? It has no credibility thanks to clubs being run into the ground and with the majority of teams being from Dublin.

My views on what's happening at City should be clear (although obviously not clear enough for some people who bring up City thinking I'm excusing my own club when I talk about the structure of the league). There is no need to apologise for a stupid comment, everybody knows the club is a disgrace because of the people running it. Clubs who break the rules should be kicked out. Yes, Fingal are a joke of a club. Anybody with a clue about the game in Ireland knows that there are too many clubs from Dublin in the league. It was madness adding Fingal to the league. Do you seriously not see the problems with the structure of the league? It has no credibility thanks to clubs being run into the ground and with the majority of teams being from Dublin.

Are you finished?

Start up a thread about it if you are so concerned and please leave us to enjoy our moment tks.

A few Picts available here from the game and the cup.

Still getting over it. A great game, and either team could have won. Great support from both sets of fans too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Sporting Fingal won the FAI Ford Cup for the third time in their history following a 2-1 victory over Sligo Rovers at the Tallaght Stadium on Sunday.
    From the LOI's own page.

What dink wrote that?

http://www.loi.ie/index.php/clubs/first-division/sporting-fingal/latest-news/1331-sligo-rovers-1-2-sporting-fingal

Sure its not even possible for them to have won it 3 times. Zingggg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Do Sporting Fingal think they're Portuguese or somethin'

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Do Sporting Fingal think they're Portuguese or somethin'

No, they just want to develop more sport in the community - to help encourage kids to get exercise and get out, rather than sitting at home and watching TV.

Not sure what that has to do with Portugal.

• Advertisement

sporting lisbon.

sporting lisbon.

And your point is?

You could always ask about clubs called Rovers, United ... etc and maybe ask do they think they're English??

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm no Fingal fan but the constant little snipes at them are getting rather annoying..

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Paulw wrote: »
    No, they just want to develop more sport in the community - to help encourage kids to get exercise and get out, rather than sitting at home and watching TV.

Not sure what that has to do with Portugal.
    I'm no Fingal fan but the constant little snipes at them are getting rather annoying..

i think they're rather enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

sporting lisbon.

We are sporting in every way.

What has that got to do with the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Fingal United Football Club = FUFC

Sporting was just another option, as they couldn't really use the above.

And Fingal Rovers doesn't really work either. What would you have suggested?

i think they're rather enjoyable.

10 yr olds usually do;)

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Sporting was just another option, as they couldn't really use the above.

Fingal Fantastico:D

• Advertisement

With Sporting Fingal being part of developing sport in Fingal then the name is spot on.
    Sport in Fingal
    Sporting Fingal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

dsmythy wrote: »

Does that include Zayed taking a tumble to win a penalty, yeah?
    :rolleyes:

I think it's time to stop feeding the trolls.

Game is over now, and a great win for Sporting Fingal. Unlucky for Sligo but they had more than enough chances to win the game.

Time to move on.

Does that include Zayed taking a tumble to win a penalty, yeah?
    :rolleyes:

How does that lemon taste? Was a penalty, game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Is there a Gaaaaaaa team called Fingal Ravens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Was at the game on Sunday, was a great game, fair play to both teams, especially considering the weather was atrocious to play ball in.

Pitch was in good condition, ref had a good game, let the play flow as much as possible.

I thought Sligo had it in the bag, but their goal seemed to spur SF on more, and a few chances were created either end.

Zayed was lucky to get the peno (it was defo a peno, but his first touch was awful), and TBH I didn't think he had a good game.

Excellent second goal to win it in extra time, but the score should have been 2-2 by then, as a sitter was missed by both teams, in very similar circumstances.

Great win for SF, and a great finish to a great season for them.

One thing though, I was very disappointed the way all the Sligo fans left before their team were presented with their medals, at least the SF fans gave them a cheer, they played a good game.

• Advertisement

On the peno, having seen it on MNS it didn't look like a peno at all, Zayed lunged into the keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

dsmythy wrote: »

As much as I don't want to get into this I have to, sporting in every way my hole. Quigley taking a dive to get Flood sent off was pretty sporting alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Anyone heading out in Swords for the open top bus parade tomorrow? Lamper and the Lep and Lep's mam and the dog and crazy cat lady will all be there :)

On the peno, having seen it on MNS it didn't look like a peno at all, Zayed lunged into the keeper.

Saw it on MNS and watched it again since I recorded the game too.

To be honest, it could have gone either way.

There was no lunge, he was going for the ball, but the keeper did take him out of it, without making any contact with the ball. The legs were taken from under Zayed, so there was nothing he could do about going down.

In general, I think the ref had a great game, and let it flow as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

You start by saying
    Saw it on MNS and watched it again since I recorded the game too.

To be honest, it could have gone either way.
    "To be honest it was 50%-50%"

You then follow by saying it was a 100% defo a peno, Zayed did not lunge
    and the keeper did take him:confused:
    There was no lunge, he was going for the ball, but the keeper did take him out of it, without making any contact with the ball. The legs were taken from under Zayed, so there was nothing he could do about going down.

Anyone with even the slightest interest in Psychology and the human condition will read this and smile as its basically an admitance that in your opnion Zayed did lunge and the keeper stood his ground:eek:

Rovers had their chances, didnt take them, ye did, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Anyone heading out in Swords for the open top bus parade tomorrow? Lamper and the Lep and Lep's mam and the dog and crazy cat lady will all be there :)

Good luck to them, hope they enjoy it!

elshambo wrote: »
    You start by saying

"To be honest it was 50%-50%"

You then follow by saying it was a 100% defo a peno, Zayed did not lunge
    and the keeper did take him:confused:

Anyone with even the slightest interest in Psychology and the human condition will read this and smile as its basically an admitance that in your opnion Zayed did lunge and the keeper stood his ground:eek:

I never said it was 50-50 nor a definite penalty. I said that the decision could have gone either way. Some refs would give it as a penalty and some would have let it go.

I said that Zayed had his legs taken, but that doesn't mean a penalty would be given.

Zayed went for the ball, the keeper went for the ball, neither had full control of it, and Zayed had his legs taken from under him. The keeper was coming out and dived for the ball. He wasn't standing his ground. The ref gave a penalty, but I've seen similar in the LOI where the ref would give a free out.

Through the game, the ref let a number of incidents go, where there was player contact, without giving a free (to either side). The ref, in my opinion, was very fair and let the game flow.

I personally wouldn't like to say it was a definite penalty or not, even after seeing the replays.

I think both teams played well in the conditions, and Sligo certainly had more chances.

The ball was gone, the 'keeper lifted him out of it TBH. Definite peno, but as I stated, lucky to get it as it was a terrible first touch to control the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

Jesus theres no one there at all. The sligo fans didnt hang around. The stand behind where they received the cup was completely empty

it was baltic man - I was planning on going to the hotel to watch extra time if it got that far.

it was baltic man - I was planning on going to the hotel to watch extra time if it got that far.

So you travel all the way from Sligo, to watch your team play, and then state that you were gonna head to the Hotel to watch extra-time because its cold????????

You're Irish, and from the bloody west coast, you should be well used to it ya nancy!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

couple of my picks of the Sligo fans on the day

4131464359_11f205e177_b.jpg
    4130978165_1bae8652b2_b.jpg[/QUOTE]

Advertisement