Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSPCA Santa's grotto

Options
  • 18-11-2009 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

"You may even find your new best friend just in time for Christmas"

Is this not what they want people to avoid, getting a pet for Christmas?!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

I laughed when I read this (not that its funny) you're so right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Thats just so wrong,,what are they thinking,,,??:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Also worth noting that they don't take back dogs should things not work out. I was told this from the horse’s mouth yesterday after taking a gorgeous young little jack russell from the pound. He had been surrendered in after being rehomed by them only 3 months ago, his family is emigrating. Rang them to tell them and they didn't want to know so are leaving other smaller overstretched rescues to deal with their dogs, charming. And that's the second one this week but at least the other one was still with the owner and not dumped at the pound.

If it's rescue back up you want then you're better off finding your dog somewhere else.

I'm not denying they do good work but I think some of their rehoming policies need to be looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We returned a dog to them before when it didn't work out - the dog was overly aggressive towards females.

Regarding their statement -- where is this from?
    I can understand they might have meant, as usually people who buy 'dogs for christmas' want puppies rather than a dog. But still it's a bit badly phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Well that's not what they told me yesterday and they said the same thing to the guy who rang me in a panic on Monday. Maybe they're getting too many back?

The statement is on the front page of their website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Maybe, they could be very busy at the moment / packed out.

Just looked at the site there, it's not a bad ad IMO - they're just trying to get people who might be thinking about getting an animal to come up for a fun day out, drum up visitors and hopefully find homes for the animals. If it was a blatent 'find one just in time for christmas' banner then I'd be a bit annoyed, but it's part of an image ad and if you're looking up the DSPCA you're probably thinking of adopting/getting an animal anyway. They don't just hand out pets to every tom, dick & harry, there's a procedure and they have to ask questions and assertain if you're giving the animal a good home so if someone came in with 'I want to surprise the gf for christmas' I'm sure they'd be a bit more cautious.

Advertisement