Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athenry-Limerick rail link, any date set?

• 18-11-2009 8:36am

Hoping to head down to Limerick from Ballinasloe for some shopping & cv dropping, any word on a date they hope to start? How are the timetables for meeting up with Athlone-Galway trains?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hoping to head down to Limerick from Ballinasloe for some shopping & cv dropping, any word on a date they hope to start? How are the timetables for meeting up with Athlone-Galway trains?

A quick query on the on line timetable does not offer the route for 18-Jan, which is odd, since it did a week or so ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Check out the WRC thread - there have been various "timetables" posted there - I got this information from IE after a call to the head office:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62844340&postcount=2680

although subsequent to that post various other times were posted. The line is not open yet and no date is as yet confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

'Summer' 2009 according to Iarnrod Eireann. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

slipping a bit then.

I hope this is a huge sucess but with a reported 5 trains a day each way , I cant see it meeting too many peoples needs. As a minimum a train an hour each way from 6 am to midnight would be needed to make it a usable service, but i fear they would amostly be empty.

Apart from gerardkeating, would anyone not on my "ignore" list be able to answer? I don't know what the last two posters said, but i'm sure it was political.

• Advertisement

Political? No JD was making a jest and I was making a fool of myself....

Noone knows the answer yet is the answer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the WRC trains are on the Dublin-Galway timetable and the Dublin-Limerick

Connections don't look great in either direction at Athenry: 1124 train from Ballinasloe would connect with the 1210 Athenry-Limerick, not sure about coming back...

says the line will be open in Jan 2010

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Still no drivers like I told ye last year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its unlikely to open in the next two months. In the mean time it might be a bit more practical to take a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Connections I have scoped out so far based on the timetables posted for the Dub-Gal and Gal-Lmk imply that there are virtually no good connections because that would only facilitate PaleRail and we can't have that, apparently.

• Advertisement

The line will be flooded all winter more than likely so training cannot start till the spring ....just suggesting the next excuse like :p

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The line will be flooded all winter more than likely so training cannot start till the spring ....just suggesting the next excuse like :p

Wil that be political rain causing that flooding? mon dieu le main de deo - it was a digrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Apart from gerardkeating, would anyone not on my "ignore" list be able to answer? I don't know what the last two posters said, but i'm sure it was political.

what do you have against me ????

Victor wrote: »
    Its unlikely to open in the next two months. In the mean time it might be a bit more practical to take a bus.

Are you sure that's not more political to take the bus, taking the train will actually be impossible - cos they ain't running - therefore the practicality of it compared to the train does not actually become an issue.

it cannot be more practical to take the bus, if there is in fact no train. it is either take the bus or walk. If there are two glasses on a table one with water in the other with no water in - does the one with water in have more water in it than the one with no water in it. A philosophical point. the answer is open to debate but can you have more than nothing.

It is actually not a bit more practical to take the bus. It is only practical to take the bus.....

Was Henri more practical in offering the hand of god to assist a goal - or was maradonna more practical in scoring a goal with his hand of god?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its more practical to take the bus now than to wait until January for the train.

Victor wrote: »
    Its more practical to take the bus now than to wait until January for the train.

It depends on when you need to get there.

surely the bus would arrive before January?

westtip wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not more political to take the bus, taking the train will actually be impossible - cos they ain't running - therefore the practicality of it compared to the train does not actually become an issue.

it cannot be more practical to take the bus, if there is in fact no train. it is either take the bus or walk. If there are two glasses on a table one with water in the other with no water in - does the one with water in have more water in it than the one with no water in it. A philosophical point. the answer is open to debate but can you have more than nothing.

It is actually not a bit more practical to take the bus. It is only practical to take the bus.....

Was Henri more practical in offering the hand of god to assist a goal - or was maradonna more practical in scoring a goal with his hand of god?

It might be more practical to wait for the WRC to be converted to a Greenway than wait for a train. As for the football, ah sure it's only a girl's game anyway.......:D

corktina wrote: »
    surely the bus would arrive before January?

Who's said anything about the trains arriving in January - are yes that most reliable source of information - IE......

Mind you checking out the bus timetables between these two large towns (sorry cities) it would appear to take an equally laborious 2 hours as the trains will - is there an express bus servic limerick - galway and vice versa?

The Ennis line has been closed , according to IE it was a landslide not a flood wot did it .

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=567
    UPDATE 19th November 2009, 12.10hrs

Limerick to Ennis services are still operating with bus transfers, due to a small landslip this morning.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.

• Advertisement

Driver training has been suspended , they fixed the landslide only to get caught by floods a few hours later .
    20th November: Ennis to Limerick bus transfers, due to flooding by Corporate Communications

20th November, UPDATE 06.30hrs
    Ennis to Limerick rail services are currently replaced with bus transfers due to flooding on the line.
    Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused

westtip wrote: »
    Who's said anything about the trains arriving in January - are yes that most reliable source of information - IE......

Mind you checking out the bus timetables between these two large towns (sorry cities) it would appear to take an equally laborious 2 hours as the trains will - is there an express bus servic limerick - galway and vice versa?

city link isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

I live very close to where the line floods. I can look out my window and see it and its pretty bad. The rail line runs parallel to a small lake which is set a good bit back from it. The tracks are build on top of a sort of bank about 6 foot high. The lake has been slowly rising over the last few months but within the last week or 2 it has risen at a shocking rate. It has now engulfed the tracks and continued on and flooded the road in front of my house it three places.

It actually floods quite often but not this early. When it flooded last year it lasted for 50 days and this year id say it will be at least another 50.

I will get some photos if anybody interested.

Pics would be great - please!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Shane Slv wrote: »
    I live very close to where the line floods. I can look out my window and see it and its pretty bad. The rail line runs parallel to a small lake which is set a good bit back from it. The tracks are build on top of a sort of bank about 6 foot high. The lake has been slowly rising over the last few months but within the last week or 2 it has risen at a shocking rate. It has now engulfed the tracks and continued on and flooded the road in front of my house it three places.

It actually floods quite often but not this early. When it flooded last year it lasted for 50 days and this year id say it will be at least another 50.

I will get some photos if anybody interested.

Even camera phone pics'd do. if you can't post say and someone here'll help you.

Maybe

anyway remember cycling's quicker then walking an more energy efficient too.
    Also getting from B'Sloe to Limerick by the Suck and Shannon's probably possible. Tougher prospect getting back

Cheers for the offer Shane, they'd be welcome.
    anyway remember cycling's quicker then walking an more energy efficient too.
    Also getting from B'Sloe to Limerick by the Suck and Shannon's probably possible. Tougher prospect getting back

I've a question about that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

An interesting paradox.

The DOT has cut the CIE subvention by 20% and refused to consider a fare increase. Railways chew up a large chunk of this subvention. One wonders will the Limerick - Athenry line require an increase in subvention and if its refused, what will suffer to keep this line and others operating.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    An interesting paradox.

The DOT has cut the CIE subvention by 20% and refused to consider a fare increase. Railways chew up a large chunk of this subvention. One wonders will the Limerick - Athenry line require an increase in subvention and if its refused, what will suffer to keep this line and others operating.

The Twilight Zone? Limerick/Ballybrophy and Limerick Jn/Waterford? What do you think about CIE and Failte Ireland spearheading the salvation of the Irish tourist industry....LoL! :D

posting pics is no problem but i wont be able to take them until friday because iam in college all day tomorrow.

I might be able to get a few before and after if i can find the pics.

BTW i had a look this morning ad it has gone up another foot at least. The road is now totally impassable.
    Its about 1-2 feet above the track !

• Advertisement

An interesting paradox.

The DOT has cut the CIE subvention by 20% and refused to consider a fare increase.

20% since 2007 I think, around 8.8% of which comes next year .

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=149
    The public transport subvention provision payable to CIE is €276 million. This is a reduction of €27 million (8.8%). We have indicated to CIE that the Government will not sanction any fare increase.The CIE companies will seek to minimise the impact by continuing their work to reduce costs and increase efficiency.

But sure the track won't dry out till May and won't pass a desultory safety inspections till June and IE have admitted they have 58 drivers to train between Galway and Limerick. Can't see them do more than 2 a week staring May and finishing just before it floods again.

This line seems to be a Spring 2011 problem now, the elements and the unions will take care of 2010 :(

We may be throwing lots of money into a big pool of water. Thats what you get if you reopen a poorly designed railway on the cheap and it was never gonna be any other way.

Note to Sea Slacker and his constituents in Galway and Clare:

The reopening of the railway between Limerick and Galway will be delayed and when open will be prone to closure due to flooding.

Is that "on topic" enough?

We may be throwing lots of money into a big pool of water. Thats what you get if you reopen a poorly designed railway on the cheap and it was never gonna be any other way.

You cannot blame WOT for this :D

The very flooded section is outside Newmarket on Fergus and the flooding has been an issue since BEFORE 1995 and has twice been 'remediated' IE style by raising the track.

From the IT commenting on the spring 2008 flood.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1219/1229523100752.html
    The track has been raised twice since 1995 and stands more than 2m above ground level.
    Water levels in the area have risen by 1½m in recent weeks. However, Iarnród Éireann says it is satisfied there is no imminent danger of the line flooding.
    It is feared locally, however, that the rail line and a local road will be submerged again in the near future, possibly before the end of the year.

And Shane SLV has told us that it just flooded .....again. What is the story about this underground river in Ballycar Shane and what is blocking it ???

why cant we blame WoT? They could have campaigned for a PROPER job to be done on the line.... :)

[/QUOTE]And Shane SLV has told us that it just flooded .....again. What is the story about this underground river in Ballycar Shane and what is blocking it ???[/QUOTE]

Iam not 100% sure whats the story with the blockage. i know the lake drains into a underground river but not sure whats blocking it. The problem is that their a lot of land drains into the area and with the underground river blocked it has nowhere to go. The flooding seems to be becoming a annual event now. They have raised the track twice sence 1995 and now the track is 2meters above ground level and still floods. Id say the track won't be open until april or may next year if were lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

The Twilight Zone? Limerick/Ballybrophy and Limerick Jn/Waterford? :D

Limerick Jn-Waterford was getting relaid at a section just outside Waterford last week, had a quick shot posted of it on the M9 thread last weekend so they must be reasonably committed to that route still?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63364740&postcount=1182

• Advertisement

Guys, can we please put the budget speculation and rail-bashing in the other thread?

Guys, can we please put the budget speculation and rail-bashing in the other thread?

The other thread is "a thread about a thread". There is currently no thread about the WRC in which these aspects can be discussed.

I trust you know why.

Well let's put it in there anyway, and get Victor to put it into the "proper" one when he reopens it.

There's definitely questions to answer if this becomes an ongoing problem (the flooding, that is).

Excuse me but who made you a moderator? Looks like you are trying to dictate what happens in these WRC related threads and quite frankly Im getting tired of it. You've caused enough trouble already.

As the mods have so far made no statement on the current WRC thread issue (despite what I and others have said) I suggest you quickly learn to deal with things. Some of us are trying to develop a discussion about certain aspects. If you don't like it, then eh....ignore it.

And may I just add that if your only interest is your constituents requirements relating to the actual timetable and services, then I'll kindly inform you that there are no current services or reliable timetables to discuss.

Come back when its open and start a thread of your own. Until then I will talk about any aspect of the WRC right here until a more suitable thread is available.

Considering I started this thread so that there'd be a seperate one from the big one, but theni was just told to "get the bus", even by Victor.

Anyways, why don't you sart the new thread?

• Advertisement

Title of this thread, "Athenry - Limerick rail link, any date set?"

The answer....NO! Nothing more to discuss.

Will we lock this one as well? I really don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Well let's put it in there anyway, and get Victor to put it into the "proper" one when he reopens it.

Who died and made you a mod? Anyway, I'm pretty bemused by the government's rail tourist plan - is it some bizzare attempt to prop up load factors for CIE?

I'm just worried that after experiencing Irish Rail, many of the tourists will never return. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I will ban anyone who from this point onwards 1) discusses the moderation of this thread in the thread or 2) deigns to do a bit of backseat modding. The ban will be for 1 month.

Is that clear?

Calina wrote: »
    I will ban anyone who from this point onwards 1) discusses the moderation of this thread in the thread or 2) deigns to do a bit of backseat modding. The ban will be for 1 month.

Is that clear?

Theres only one troublemaker here... seaslacker. But I can guarantee I'll be banned quicker.

Until then I will talk about any aspect of the WRC right here until a more suitable thread is available.
    could we please CONSIDER merging ALL the threads and just get on with
    discussing all matters relevant to the WRC in a civilised fashion....its giving me a headache working out what we are supposed to be discussing where and im terrified I'll say the wrong thing in the wrong place....:confused:

Considering I started this thread so that there'd be a seperate one from the big one

Course it is a separate thread this is the one is about Hydrology south of Ennis where the 'other' one was about Civil Engineering north of Ennis and associated matters :(

Sorry for acting the arse again Calina. I feel smothered by the anti-WRC lobbyist posters.

Edit: dunno what to say, no idea how to fix this.

The swimmers are none to happy with you either.

May I suggest chaps that we simply boycott any threads started by and do not react to any posts made by Master Slacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Calina wrote: »

Is that clear?

Suppose so. My concern is that this forum seems to be spinning out of control, which is probably manifesting itself in all this discussion about modding.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement