Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner bike advice

• 18-11-2009 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Howy,

I'm on a similar trail as rcottere. Looking at a few starter bikes - Dragstar 125 (thanks rcottere!) and a Suzuki Intruder 125 among them. Anybody know anything about that Suzuki? Or a Honda Rebel 125? Also, am I nuts getting a 125? Is this just not powerful enough for the weight of a motorbike? Also, I am applying for the A class test - can I do this test on a 125 or would I need to test on something bigger?

Any tips or info appreciated! Very eager to get on the road. Rented a scooter on holidays last month and it opened my eyes to biking. I'll mostly be using the bike to get in and out of the city when the missus has the car but some occasional longer journeys. Can I park a motorbike on the footpath or how does that work? Should I just get a scooter as I had originally planned? Once I started looking at bikes I got a bit excited....

Gumby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I started on a dragstar 250 a year ago and it wasn't long before I wanted something more powerful. Starting off it felt great and had a bit of poke but I'm longing for a 650 or 1100 now. I'd imagine a 125 you will grow out of it even faster. Having said that I'm a year on the 250 and stil llove it dispite the lack of power. With the cruisers you can get higer cc due to the weight to power ratio. The new midnight star 950 for example is learner legal.

The honda rebel is suited to smaller riders so if you're average height or tall maybe look for something else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I wouldn't go for a scooter personally, you've no road presence compared to a 'real' bike, and you don't have any power to get out of bad situations should you need to. If you're going for a cruiser I'd go with a minimum 250cc and get it restricted if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

Hey thanks guys. I was thinking that the 125 might be too weak alright. The main problem here is the cost of my insurance. My quote from Carol Nash is around 650 for the 125 but it is almost double that for the 250 (all third party only). My car insurance is around 450 and I was hoping that the bike would be a more economical (and fun) option than a second car. Snookered! Any other way of getting the insurance down?? Restrictions? Will the insurance come down much when I have full license?

Gumbyman wrote: »
    Hey thanks guys. I was thinking that the 125 might be too weak alright. The main problem here is the cost of my insurance. My quote from Carol Nash is around 650 for the 125 but it is almost double that for the 250 (all third party only). My car insurance is around 450 and I was hoping that the bike would be a more economical (and fun) option than a second car. Snookered! Any other way of getting the insurance down?? Restrictions? Will the insurance come down much when I have full license?

Try www.quinn-direct.ie that's who I'm with. €1080 fully comp on a CB400SF with prov. licence and 0 NCB.

Full licence will bring your insurance down, you can always do grade assessments as well that will bring it down even further.

Deadly! Thanks! Just checked them out and it is cheaper on the 250 than it was with Nash on the 125!! Might even be able to afford comp insurance. I will make it to the road yet.

Am I right in thinking I wouldn;t need restrictor on this bike? Also, can I park it on a footpath?

• Advertisement

The 250 only makes 20BHP, no need for a restrictor.

As long as you're not in the way, parking on the footpath generally isn't a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Gumbyman wrote: »
    Deadly! Thanks! Just checked them out and it is cheaper on the 250 than it was with Nash on the 125!! Might even be able to afford comp insurance. I will make it to the road yet.

Am I right in thinking I wouldn;t need restrictor on this bike? Also, can I park it on a footpath?

The bike shop will be able to advise. different bikes have different power to weight ratios meaning some models can be learner legal up to high cc and others fairly low cc. Technically you're not suppose to park on the footpath. try find somewhere near your job which isn't in anyones way and you shouldn't have any problems though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

imo your better off looking for at least a 400 if your getting a cruiser. i started on a 125 dragstar and they're just too slow and i cant imagine a 250 is much better.

quinn is the only way to go for insurance (until you have to make a claim :p).

Thanks again guys/gals. Just wondering has anybody any experience or opinions on these offers - a Suzuki Marauder 250 (2002, 20k, EUR1850) or a Virago 250 (1995, ?k, EUR1500)?

Cheers!
    Gumby.

Advertisement