Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embryonic stem cell research in ireland (?)

• 18-11-2009 11:16am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if
    a) any embryonic stem cell research is ongoing in ireland?
    b) is it possible to generate esc lines in ireland?
    c) as a sidnote to b, does ivf treatment happen here?
    d) and to satisfy general curiousity, is there much work on haematopoetic or mesenchymal stem cells here?

Giving a presentation next week, and it'd be nice to throw in some ireland relevant comments.

(anyone wishing to discuss the ethical issues of using esc's, apart from those issues caused by the irish legal system, please go start your own thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Can partly answer your queries:

Re:
    a) any embryonic stem cell research is ongoing in ireland?
    Yes, The UCC Governing body approved esc research ~ Oct 2008. There are several researchers listed on the ucc site as being invlolved in esc research (a quick search of the uccc website will give you a list of relevant researchers / research groups doing esc research)

b) is it possible to generate esc lines in ireland?

d) and to satisfy general curiousity, is there much work on haematopoetic or mesenchymal stem cells here?

There is a research centre in NUIG, known as the regenerative medicine institute (REMEDI in short) that have been involved in mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) research. REMEDI is an SFI-sponsored CSET (Centres for Science and Engineering Technologies) that have been utilising MSC's for regerative medicine purposes. They have been in existence since ~2004. Google remedi / search nuig site for more info. Also, REMEDI have collaborators in NUIM and UCD who do a bit of parallel research on the MSC's generated in Galway.

Hope the above is of some help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Awesome, legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Tree wrote: »
    It does and quite a bit more frequently that I would have guessed before I did the paperwork in a GP's office! Something like a 3rd of multiple births in Ireland are from IVF. Pretty sure we offer all the same services to women as the UK, like embryo screening, in-vitro maturation and the like but it has to be paid for privately, as health insurance and public system won't pay out for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irishstemcell

Dear all,
    We are developing an educational website on stem cells and stem cell research in Ireland at www.irishstemcellfoundation.org.
    We are focusing on several other items in tandem but one thing we are developing as a priority are forums for public outreach, hence joining boards.ie.
    So if you are interested in stem cells, check out the Facebook and Twitter accounts associated with the site.
    ISCF

Here is last weeks Nature article on Ireland and embryonic stem cell research
    http://www.nature.com/news/2009/091217/full/news.2009.1148.html?s=news_rss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The Regenerative Medicine Institute,Remedi do some stem cell research.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

:) just a littletoo late for my presentation :) but ill read it after xmas for bedtime reading sure, thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭flynny51

Again I know you're finished your presentation but for anyone else or any future work, I have an old blog which might be of use

http://flynny51.blogspot.com/

Had completely forgot about until last week when I was contacted by Science magazine (AAAS) who read it and wanted to use pictures from it for an article they're writing on last weeks supreme court ruling that embryos are not protected under the unborn infant protection act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

The big question is are IVF babies more intelligent and better looking than normal sperm babies and will they live longer , will this create a new generation of of people????

Advertisement