Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

206 problem

Options
  • 18-11-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

Now i know why peugeot called the 206 a 206,because it literally develops 206 problems all at once!!!

right 1st thing 1st,my sis used to own it,someone rear ended her,airbags didnt go off,repairs where carried out,since then airbag light has stayed on,does this mean the car was a write off or is it a simple case of plugging in a diagnostics and telling the computer the fault is fixed? The fuse was replaced but the light is still on so obviously wasn't that.

2nd- Recently the speedo has broken,by broken i mean when the car is switched off the needle doesnt go to 0,it goes to the far side of the speedo! meaning when i start up again the car thinks it at 0,so when im doing 50-60 the needle says 10! Brought it to a reputable peugeot main dealer,he asked had i a recent clutch change (in an independant garage where i was ripped off to the heights of it!!!) and the thing is i have only had the clutch changed because my sis drove it into the ground as it was her learning car. Any advice/ideas?

also since clutch change the gearbox slips out of gear an awful lot,for example if im driving along and hit a small bump or pot hole it'll just jump into neutral,i was driving up a hill in 3rd and the gear stick just slipped back somehow into neutral,obviously gears arent locking into place,car never done this ONCE before the clutch was changed:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

It sounds like the car was never treated correctly from the start.
    You say that the air bag light was never turned off, yet you kept driving it. - This is a problem in itself.
    You also said that you sis has driven the car into the ground. What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean that the car was never serviced when it needed it? Or, do you mean something else?

The garage asked you if the cluch was ever replaced - which it was and this explains the speedo - however it seems that the cluch was not fitted correctly. It seems also likely that the sliping out of gear issue is directly related to the cluch, which would make sence.
    I'm not having a go at you or anything, but how would you expect any car to behave if you do not fix the issues as they occur?
    When I say fix, I mean fix correctly, lights off and a guarentee with the work carrried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

cadaliac wrote: »
    It sounds like the car was never treated correctly from the start.
    You say that the air bag light was never turned off, yet you kept driving it. - This is a problem in itself.
    You also said that you sis has driven the car into the ground. What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean that the car was never serviced when it needed it? Or, do you mean something else?

The garage asked you if the cluch was ever replaced - which it was and this explains the speedo - however it seems that the cluch was not fitted correctly. It seems also likely that the sliping out of gear issue is directly related to the cluch, which would make sence.
    I'm not having a go at you or anything, but how would you expect any car to behave if you do not fix the issues as they occur?
    When I say fix, I mean fix correctly, lights off and a guarentee with the work carrried out.
    no it was always serviced when it needed to be and maintained properly etc,just she had a heavy foot on the clutch while she was a learner that's why it had to be changed.
    She was also 2nd owner though but she bought it from a main dealer in dublin

Regards to the airbag light after repairs the garage issued a 2 year guarantee and said everything was fine,when she informed them of the airbag light they ensured her the fault was fixed but they'd just forgotten to plug in the diagnostics to switch the light off,it's still under guarantee so if i nip up during the week and have them flick the light off surely it'd be covered wouldnt it?

Also the service computer constantly says the car needs a servicing for some reason,i dont know why this is as there are no mechanical faults or weird noises etc within the engine or exhaust system or brakes,i said it to the garage servicing it and he said id be best replacing the whole dash e.g. speedo,tach,fuel,temp,digital display,he didnt mention a price though but alarm bells rang when he said he wanted to do that much work for such a simple thing.

Also i only noticed the airbag light recently because i was never told about it and it'd been covered up with black tape,i just caught it by chance as i took the screen away trying to fix the speedo needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

It will need a diagnostic plugin to see why the airbag light is been
    displayed.
    The speedo clusters are a common fault on the 206's...maybe pick up one from a breakers yard
    or http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=955
    Ron.

Sounds abit dodgy who ever put black tape over the airbag light.....:rolleyes:

Row wrote: »
    It will need a diagnostic plugin to see why the airbag light is been
    displayed.
    The speedo clusters are a common fault on the 206's...maybe pick up one from a breakers yard
    or http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=955
    Ron.

Sounds abit dodgy who ever put black tape over the airbag light.....:rolleyes:
    Thanks for that link, when i interrogated the sis she said her boyf done it because she had her test the followin couple days and obviously the tester wouldnt have tested her if the airbag light was on, mind you i done the same for mine :rolleyes: pulled the wool over his eyes anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Sounds like during the clutch replacement the gear linkages werent adjusted correctly, or there is a fault with the detent spring in the box which is designed to make gear selection positive and keep the gear locked in until you change it. Possible also that there is air in the clutch hydraulic system, unless its a cable...
    As for the dash fault, surely if the fault with the tacho only started after the clutch was changed the fault can be traced to the speedo drive on the gearbox? I agree there are dash problems, but best to check the connection of the speedo first.
    The airbag warning light would require the car to be plugged in to some suitable siagnostic equipment. If you are interested, I have a scanner and could plug your car in for you. Where are you based?

• Advertisement

AzureAuto wrote: »
    Sounds like during the clutch replacement the gear linkages werent adjusted correctly, or there is a fault with the detent spring in the box which is designed to make gear selection positive and keep the gear locked in until you change it. Possible also that there is air in the clutch hydraulic system, unless its a cable...
    As for the dash fault, surely if the fault with the tacho only started after the clutch was changed the fault can be traced to the speedo drive on the gearbox? I agree there are dash problems, but best to check the connection of the speedo first.
    The airbag warning light would require the car to be plugged in to some suitable siagnostic equipment. If you are interested, I have a scanner and could plug your car in for you. Where are you based?
    Is that an offer of good gesture to plug it in for me :rolleyes:

AFAIK the garage who carried out repairs should do it for me for free if i pop up to them as it's still under guarantee.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bonito wrote: »
    Is that an offer of good gesture to plug it in for me :rolleyes:
    Don't knock an offer of help!

kbannon wrote: »
    Don't knock an offer of help!
    Honestly wasn't knocking the offer, sorry if it came across that way :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

...providing you can travel to me!! I'm based in the maynooth area. But you're right; if the work is still under warranty, you may be best off getting it plugged in by Peugeot. Just dont be mugged into handing over any moneys to them...

AzureAuto wrote: »
    ...providing you can travel to me!! I'm based in the maynooth area. But you're right; if the work is still under warranty, you may be best off getting it plugged in by Peugeot. Just dont be mugged into handing over any moneys to them...
    I live in north county dublin, wasn't peugeot that handled it unfortunately, it was a main ford dealer (apparently this was the garage affiliated with my sisters insurance company whenever their customers had claims) see she had to claim off her own insurance because the driver who hit her wasn't insured, i wont go into full details it's off topic :)

• Advertisement

I live in north county dublin, wasn't peugeot that handled it unfortunately, it was a main ford dealer (apparently this was the garage affiliated with my sisters insurance company whenever their customers had claims) see she had to claim off her own insurance because the driver who hit her wasn't insured, i wont go into full details it's off topic :)
    I don't wasnt to bring this off topic either but:
    1. if you are hit by an uninsured driver then you can claim against the MIBI
    2. if you are hit by anyone (insured or not) you have a choice of where to get the car repaired
    3. being a Ford dealer does not exempt them from fixing it correctly
    4. in my experience of Peugeot dealers for 'er indoors's 206, I think having Ford fix it is probably a better option.

I don't wasnt to bring this off topic either but:
    1. if you are hit by an uninsured driver then you can claim against the MIBI
    2. if you are hit by anyone (insured or not) you have a choice of where to get the car repaired
    3. being a Ford dealer does not exempt them from fixing it correctly
    4. in my experience of Peugeot dealers for 'er indoors's 206, I think having Ford fix it is probably a better option.
    thing is he had an insurance disc etc and when the guards came they took his details but never checked them they just handed the page to my sis,he was a polish national and his car was northern reg,when we finally got hold of the english company that insured him they said he hadnt been insured for the last 5 months because he stopped his direct debits,he then done a legger from where he lived and that was the last she heard of it and last we seen of him so she got fed up and just claimed off her insurance,then i got stuck with all these problems when she gave me the car :rolleyes:

Its due its service soon and i always get it serviced and a very reputable peugeot main dealer but they charge a few bob for having to plug in a diagnostics dont they? You'd think me being a good customer they'd do it for free :)

Its due its service soon and i always get it serviced and a very reputable peugeot main dealer but they charge a few bob for having to plug in a diagnostics dont they? You'd think me being a good customer they'd do it for free :)
    1. there is no such thing as a reputable peugeot main dealer in my experience!
    As for (any) payment, get a quote off them first and then compare it to other places!

1. there is no such thing as a reputable peugeot main dealer in my experience!
    As for (any) payment, get a quote off them first and then compare it to other places!
    Well full service is 250 euro with them,minor service is 160 :) didnt get much better prices close to me so i've used them the last two services :)

Price may be good but what about the quality? What do they cover in a full and minor service? Do they actually follow the manufacturer's recommendations (many dealers seem no to?)

Anyhow, my wife's 206 last service by a Peugeot main dealer in Stillorgan involved a request to change brake pads that were absolutely fine! I could go on but I won't!

well i know myself what needs to be done,my pads are fine but discs need to be changed (dunno how that happened tbh cause i never heard of discs goin before pads)

Quality does be good I havent had any after service problems with them so far,and tbh it needs a bit of TLC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Nuffster

... butthere seem to be a few heads here who know their stuff though so said I'd chance it! I have a 01 Peugeot 206. Have been told I need to get a bearing in the rad cooling fan replaced (it's been making some noises so I believe them, quietened down a bit after a service though) and have been quoted €280 approx from a main dealer to replace it. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is about right or if I'm getting taken for a ride because I'm a girl going to a main dealer, who obviously doesn't know a thing about cars! :confused: cheers!

Nuffster wrote: »
    ... butthere seem to be a few heads here who know their stuff though so said I'd chance it! I have a 01 Peugeot 206. Have been told I need to get a bearing in the rad cooling fan replaced (it's been making some noises so I believe them, quietened down a bit after a service though) and have been quoted €280 approx from a main dealer to replace it. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is about right or if I'm getting taken for a ride because I'm a girl going to a main dealer, who obviously doesn't know a thing about cars! :confused: cheers!
    i have same problem with my radiator fan,very very noisy when it switches on when the car is sitting idle in traffic :) seems a bit expensive what you're being quoted though because a radiator only costs 100-130 euro,check http://www.micksgarage.ie

Legend! Thanks a mil. I knew I was getting ripped off. Just got a call from one of the other main dealers I asked for a quote. Turns out have to replace the whole unit, can't just replace the bearing. Apparently, the guy in original garage didn't think I needed to know this! Called me and quoted €238.91. Called back a second time and quoted €200.78. Just shows it's worth shopping round kids!

Nuffster wrote: »
    Legend! Thanks a mil. I knew I was getting ripped off. Just got a call from one of the other main dealers I asked for a quote. Turns out have to replace the whole unit, can't just replace the bearing. Apparently, the guy in original garage didn't think I needed to know this! Called me and quoted €238.91. Called back a second time and quoted €200.78. Just shows it's worth shopping round kids!
    that sounds a bit better,radiator,labour,vat=roughly 200 :)

• Advertisement

Sweet, that's put my mind at rest. Thanks again Bonito! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

that sounds a bit better,radiator,labour,vat=roughly 200 :)

He doesn't need a radiator he needs the fan assembly which costs about €185 +vat plus fitting.
    This is a common fault with the 206 and if it's not fixed it will eventually overheat because the fan will get completely stuck and the car will boil
    then your in to head gasket territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thisistimowen

I just had my radiator fan go, nearly overheated car as I was not in it while it was running, came back to a very hot motor, anyway rang around first all the wreckers for a second hand radiator fan, no luck so did all the peugeot dealers, best deal was Ballinasloe (prices ranged from 100 to 300 for just the fan.) When I picked it up he even explained (as my fuse did not go) what else might be the issue if the fan does not spin when replaced. Was easy to replace, a few screws, had it out and back in within the hour. Definitely recommend ringing around.

Advertisement