Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing buttermilk?

Options
  • 18-11-2009 11:20am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone freeze their buttermilk? does it work out ok? The shops near me only seem to sell litres of buttermilk, and i dont fancy making that m uch bread in a single go. bring back the pint!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I seem to remember a thread about this last year and the general consensus was that it's perfectly ok to freeze it :)

I can't imagine how anyone would use a whole litre of the stuff in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dunno about buttermilk but I freeze regular whole milk all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Was at a cooking lesson with Darina Allen once and she said buttermilk that you buy in shops can be used up to 2 weeks after sell by date (if Darina said it, it must be true) :)

I've often used it after best by date to make bread and it's been fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

or instead of buying buttermilk add lemon juice to regular milk and u get your sour milk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

<3 for darina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

foodaholic wrote: »
    or instead of buying buttermilk add lemon juice to regular milk and u get your sour milk

Hi Tree, I do this all the time for my bread (can't eat dairy) and it works and there are no problems with it!!

As regards the original request regarding freezing buttermilk, there is no problem freezing it at all!!!!

Happy bread baking :):):)

Advertisement