Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The third trimester....when is it again??

• 18-11-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Ok so that sounds so stupid.

I'm reading the books...I got rather excited at the beginning and bought two. What to Expect (Gold!) Your Pregnancy Week by Week (scaremongering dirt). WTE says 3rd trimester begins at 26 weeks.
    YPWBW says it starts at 28 weeks.

I looked it up online. I found 26 weeks and 28 weeks.

But I also found 24 weeks, which I think sounds very wrong.

And a random 27 weeks.

I would have thought 26 weeks sounded accurate enough!

What do they say in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

i don't think its an exact science to bo honest! Theres nothing that magically happens once you reach the 3rd trimester.

Bearing in mind that 'term' is 37-42 weeks, I guess you could say that the third trimester begins at week 24/25.

I think when I was training we considered trimesters to be 13 weeks long, but I don't think it was that important.

Sorry I haven't been much help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

In college, we were taught that it is 26 weeks. The US call it 28:)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

thanks!

Yeah, I was opting for 26 weeks myself! Not really all that important...but I'm in my 25th week this week and the count down has begun for me. Just excited!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well I've been operating under the 27 week assumption, 14, 13, and 13 weeks per trimester. :)

doesn't make any difference whatever way you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I kind of gave up on counting since I realised that the baby can be born anytime from 37 t0 42 weeks and it is all completely normal.
    Which makes it a 5 week window for him to be born in, so I'm probably not even going to bother relying on my due date that much..
    Although it does fall on the start of Easter break in college and it would be handy..

EDIT: also people (well, my SIL) keep telling me how hard and horribly uncomfortable third trimester is, so I'm happy to mentally stay in the 2nd one. I still mostly forget that I'm pregnant and would like to keep it this way. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

ebmma I love your logic!
    I'm the same, I was constantly exhausted the whole way through the first trimester and got bags of energy during the second so not looking forward to the constant fatigue again!

ebmma I love your logic!
    I'm the same, I was constantly exhausted the whole way through the first trimester and got bags of energy during the second so not looking forward to the constant fatigue again!

I won't say I have lot of energy, but I certainly feel back to normal. First three months of constant nausea were not fun, but not so bad that I would say 'never again'. I'm hoping I won't be too exhausted towards the end...I mean there's Christmas and all :D I look forward to being free from college :)

when are you due? We gotta be pretty close!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

technically im in the last week of my 2nd...but all the energy and goodness of it has worn off already! I'm happy to think of myself in third trimester cause ill feel crap either way...but at least the sound of third makes me feel closer to getting the little ting out of me!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

You'll know when the 3rd trimester has arrived cos you'll need to pee all the time again! And now I'm getting towards the end I'm peeing even more!

Anyway, 24 weeks was the big milestone for me - when babies become 'viable' (horrible word I think) I've never been too worried by what trimester I'm in.

Anyway, 24 weeks was the big milestone for me - when babies become 'viable' (horrible word I think) I've never been too worried by what trimester I'm in.

I thought the 24 weeks being a big milestone as well - now it is actually my son for me and if something happened then it is a loss of my child rather than 'pregnancy did't work out'. I know majority of people feels differently, but I just never got a particularly deep sense of connection early on. I'm more of a 'guy' in this sense maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

@ ebmma, I've just coming up to the 27 week mark. I can't believe it, only feels like a few days ago since we found out!

@ crazy cat lady - you're right that term 'viable' is horrible, I seen that on my eumom weekly update, it struck me that before then I had never thought of my baby as being 'unviable'. Suppose it makes you realise how fragile that little life in there is!

I had a 4D scan at 23 weeks so she became very real for us then rather than what trimester I was in if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Somekindanut

I'm in week 29 now and it still feels like a lifetime away! Constantly tired and waking up a few times a night. Just want baby to be here! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Old thread is very old

Somekindanut, there is a pregnant womens moan thread for general moans :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement