Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lithuanian Dog thrown from Bridge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I am sorry if I made you look like a vege basher :p

My point is that it is in fact senseless to kill a living, sentient being, a person in my opinion, when it isn't necessary in any way WHATSOEVER to do so! I think the taking of that dog's life was just as pointless as killing a cow to make 50 double, flame grilled cheeseburgers. Emmettogara, i want you to become a vegan. I want you to reject animal products for ever and ever.

Apology accepted CokaColumbo!

This is an argument for another thread methinks.

Vegetarianism I can do; vegan, now thats just not for me. Yet.
    heno86 wrote: »
    in other news check out after hours, a fish being eaten alive after being fried, if i hear "well thats no worse than what happens to charlie the chicken in bangladesh" i think i might scream, look at it for what it is not what its comparable to....its really fu*ked up if your squeamish dont look at the vid

Funny, I was just looking at this before I came to reply here. It's bizarre, but many aspects of Asian cuisine are odd from a western point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

star-pants wrote: »
    Cokacolumbo, whilst I see your point, if we go by that rule, then every person on the planet is a murderer, paedophile, torturer, abuser and so forth.

People fight for better conditions - such as free range animals, so as to give them the best life they can have (being bred for food).
    Animals kill other animals for food.
    We kill animals for food.

Killing animals for fun is another matter and that's what this thread was about.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thank you for being better able to articulate your opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Killing animals for fun is an everyday occurrence & often state sponsored. What is a pheasant shoot about ?. Please don't say they are for food !. Some sections of society accept killing & cruelty. They will dress it up by saying that they are trapping crows because they eat crops or lamping for bunnies because they cause damage. People will hare course, dog fight, & even cock fighting is becoming popular here. Some will give excuses but some do it purely for pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Cokacolumbo, whilst I see your point, if we go by that rule, then every person on the planet is a murderer, paedophile, torturer, abuser and so forth.

People fight for better conditions - such as free range animals, so as to give them the best life they can have (being bred for food).
    Animals kill other animals for food.
    We kill animals for food.

Killing animals for fun is another matter and that's what this thread was about.

I'm not 100% about the pedophile part, but yes all of us, on Boards at least, are absolutely of guilty of mass abuse of animals. Its that simple.

In practice, nooooobody (except vegans) actually lives up to their supposed pro-animal principals. I do however make a clear distinction between those who commit deliberate abuse (all Lithuanians :pac:) and those who commit passive abuse (us).
    That said the distinction applies only to our motives, not our actions. Our motives don't reflect those of the Lithuanians but our actions do.

Yes, non-human animals kill other non-human animals for food but they do so out of necessity, in order to survive. We omnivores do not. We do so because we like the taste of meat, and because its convenient. That's all. No other reason. Diddly squat. Ding dang dooodly diddly squat.

Lastly, I strongly disagree that the best life an animal can have is being bred for food. But that's for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm not 100% about the pedophile part, but yes all of us, on Boards at least, are absolutely of guilty of mass abuse of animals. Its that simple.
    By what you said - yes it all applies, every bad thing in the world, we are all guilty of. Because someone somewhere looks the other way.

What do you mean by 'on boards at least?'
    In practice, nooooobody (except vegans) actually lives up to their supposed pro-animal principals. I do however make a clear distinction between those who commit deliberate abuse (all Lithuanians :pac:) and those who commit passive abuse (us).
    That said the distinction applies only to our motives, not our actions. Our motives don't reflect those of the Lithuanians but our actions do.

Very generalised sweeping statements btw - not all vegans are strict vegans.
    And not all Lithuanians are like those in this situation would do that to an animal.
    Yes, non-human animals kill other non-human animals for food but they do so out of necessity, in order to survive. We omnivores do not. We do so because we like the taste of meat, and because its convenient. That's all. No other reason. Diddly squat. Ding dang dooodly diddly squat.
    Again - sweeping statement, humans have eaten meat for thousands of years, it's part of our diet and it some cases part of culture. When people are old enough to understand they can make the decision to do what they wish about that.
    We began by killing animals in order to survive, as we progessed yes we have found other sources of sustenance but even then in order to be completely healthy without meat and by products supplements need to be taken no?
    So why would supplements be needed if we didn't need meat?
    I don't like the taste of almost all meat so I don't eat it. That's my choice and I'll never force my opinion or beliefs on anyone.
    Lastly, I strongly disagree that the best life an animal can have is being bred for food. But that's for another day.

I did not say that's the best life an animal can have.
    I said, that those being bred for food /by products are given the best life they can be given in those circumstances (the free range ones).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Was throwing the dog off the bridge that bad a thing?

If you don't know the answer to that question, then I'm actually utterly dumbfounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That's exactly it. We point the finger at those who commit this abuse with such blatant intent yet we ourselves are guilty of comparable abuse; we just have different motives, but equally frivolous ones, for committing it.
    We hide behind the bogus claim of "I only eat humanely killed animals" and "humans need meat for its nutrition". Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

(if I have misrepresented your quote I apologise. That sentence just summed up my initial argument.)

You did rather misrepresent me. Yes I do eat meat & I know that I shouldn't. Out of sight is out of mind. The old saying that none of us would eat meat if we visited an abattoir is true. However your question as to whether throwing the dog off was "that bad a thing" has just totally destroyed any respect that I might have for you, your views or your Vegan lifestyle.

Discodog wrote: »
    You did rather misrepresent me. Yes I do eat meat & I know that I shouldn't. Out of sight is out of mind. The old saying that none of us would eat meat if we visited an abattoir is true. However your question as to whether throwing the dog off was "that bad a thing" has just totally destroyed any respect that I might have for you, your views or your Vegan lifestyle.

Mate I clearly think that what happened to that dog was disgusting. I think it was vile, absolutely vile. Taking my OP as a whole, I did not put forward any opinion whatsoever on the matter; I simply played Devil's Advocate on the issue. You should not be disgusted by that.
    The reason I asked that question was to get debate going, to make people question their own involvement in practices which involve the maltreatment of animals. And I think I got the ball rolling.
    No offensive remarks were made by me.

By what you said - yes it all applies, every bad thing in the world, we are all guilty of. Because someone somewhere looks the other way.
    What do you mean by 'on boards at least?'

You misinterpreted what I wrote. I was talking about our own individual actions and how we should reflect on them before pointing the finger at others. 'On boards' referred to everyone who is involved in this debate.
    generalised sweeping statements btw - not all vegans are strict vegans.
    Please stop nitpicking and focus on the core arguments in my posts. One could make the point that if you consume animal products then you are not a vegan.
    And not all Lithuanians are like those in this situation would do that to an animal.
    Hence the laughing smiley face..?
    sweeping statement, humans have eaten meat for thousands of years, it's part of our diet and it some cases part of culture. When people are old enough to understand they can make the decision to do what they wish about that.
    We began by killing animals in order to survive, as we progessed yes we have found other sources of sustenance but even then in order to be completely healthy without meat and by products supplements need to be taken no?
    So why would supplements be needed if we didn't need meat?
    I don't like the taste of almost all meat so I don't eat it. That's my choice and I'll never force my opinion or beliefs on anyone.
    If you disagree with my point, state why you disagree with it. I think my point is entirely valid and has been left unchallenged.
    And no, you don't need supplements to be a healthy vegan. It does of course make life easier no matter what diet you consume but it is not a requirement.
    I did not say that's the best life an animal can have.
    I said, that those being bred for food /by products are given the best life they can be given in those circumstances (the free range ones).

You wrote, "...so as to give them the best life they can have (being bred for food)." Perhaps you should be more clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

CokaColumbo - I'm not going to sit here arguing with you.

You are taking a thread that was a discussion on the cruel actions against a dog and turning into a debate on whether people should kill animals full stop. And basically saying that vegans are the only pure people. This thread is not for that discussion.

• Advertisement

CokaColumbo - I'm not going to sit here arguing with you.

You are taking a thread that was a discussion on the cruel actions against a dog and turning into a debate on whether people should kill animals full stop. And basically saying that vegans are the only pure people. This thread is not for that discussion.

And you are the one accusing others of making sweeping statements?
    I made very relevant points, and highlighted two issues, people's abusive treatment of animals for entertainment; and our abusive treatment of animals for food, and how both are very similar indeed; I felt the connection needed to be addressed, and quite frankly it did.
    In my opinion, you are the one who degenerated this thread.

But yes, I too am getting tired of arguing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

CokaColumbo, I hope you realise that people who shove opinions like you did on this thread make anybody who holds similar views look just stupid. It undermines the integrity of ANY argument against farming and for veganism as people are going to immediately equate any mention of it with opinionated and frankly, at times insulting, opinions. You make some good points, but in doing so managed to insult everybody else on the thread. (including a forum moderator)

However, considering you are vegan all of 7 days, I suppose it's down to excitment?

CokaColumbo, I hope you realise that people who shove opinions like you did on this thread make anybody who holds similar views look just stupid. It undermines the integrity of ANY argument against farming and for veganism as people are going to immediately equate any mention of it with opinionated and frankly, at times insulting, opinions. You make some good points, but in doing so managed to insult everybody else on the thread. (including a forum moderator)

However, considering you are vegan all of 7 days, I suppose it's down to excitment?

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I never put myself above any criticism; I made a point of using the term 'us' and 'we' when referring to animal consumption. In this way, I referred to myself, all in separate instances, as a consumer of animal products; as a passive torturer of animals; and of being guilty of animal abuse.

I also never actually said on this thread that I was in fact a vegan, only you did, so well done for broadcasting the very thing you are condemning me for tarnishing. I even disassociated myself from veganism in the following quote,
    wrote:
    In practice, nooooobody (except vegans) actually lives up to their supposed pro-animal principals. I do however make a clear distinction between those who commit deliberate abuse (all Lithuanians ) and those who commit passive abuse (us).

I don't think I gave anybody any abuse; I was simply straightforward, direct, and frank with people. If you take 'Emmettogara' for example, we dealt with each other with absolute decency and I even apologised to him on one occassion.

I ask you please to point out where in fact, according to you, I insulted every other poster...

good point, but you must realise how many people switched off at this line? Had I not similar views, I know I would have rolled my eyes and thought - Oh here we go again
    I think by the standards of a meat eater, this act was not an inherently wrong thing to do as we both kill animals for essentially trivial reasons. ........In my opinion, we are all, in one form or another, those bad men on the bridge.
    Ok again a good point until you start saying that we are all "those bad men on the bridge". This is where I stopped supporting your view in my posts.
    i want you to become a vegan. I want you to reject animal products for ever and ever.
    Was this tongue in cheek?
    Discodog wrote: »
    However your question as to whether throwing the dog off was "that bad a thing" has just totally destroyed any respect that I might have for you, your views or your Vegan lifestyle.
    Now as far as I am aware Disco Dog does not hang around in the V&V forum (please correct me if I am wrong), so I guess from your posts, it is obvious you are vegan without me saying it?
    And basically saying that vegans are the only pure people.
    See, a lot of people reading the thread got the same vibe. If you saw a thread where a person was trying to make out that a certain religion was the only right way of doing things, or as SP put it, the only pure way, would you be a bit annoyed at that?
    In my opinion, you are the one who degenerated this thread.
    So you start in a thread, telling people that they are no better than some scum who threw a dog from a bridge, and people who don't agree degenerated the thread?

You make some good points that I agree with, but, you make these points in such a way that I want to distance myself from it. Do you know what I mean. Like it's because of people saying things such as you did that makes me reluctant to tell people my views as they will immediately associate me with trying to turn them, or thinking they are inferior. The vast majority of veggies and vegans are happy to live and let live. You are not going to change the system, and trying to do so by annoying people is not going to work. It's the same reason I don't support peta. Sometimes I think these people care more about the shock/anger factor and less about actual results.

I don't want to discuss this further here. A thread about cruelty has turned into a thread more suited for the v&v forum. If you start a thread there, I would be happy to reply. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

My 2c:
    In terms of cruelty, those of us that eat non-humanely sourced meat have got blood on our hands. But it's difficult to avoid.
    I buy my meat from this guy & try to always buy free range eggs.
    However I can't be sure all the materials in clothes I wear are humanely sourced.
    The EU need to review animal welfare laws, such as chicken farms, veal crates, an foie gras production.
    There are some inroads been made on this but still a long way off.

This case was particularly sickening, because it was motivated not by hunger (which is responsible for much inhumanaity in nature)
    but by a twisted form of entertainment, and as such as needless.

HD

HarryD wrote: »
    My 2c:
    I buy my meat from this guy ........
    :) thats brilliant, I didn't think there was anything like that. All my googling for free range pork didn't turn him up.

Thanks for the link.

good point, but you must realise how many people switched off at this line? Had I not similar views, I know I would have rolled my eyes and thought - Oh here we go again
    The point I made was clearly valid and I was absolutely correct in saying what I said. I don't think that this argument should even be taking place because at the end of the day, I simply don't fit into your role of polite, 'don't want to hurt anybody's feelings', subdued vegan. If you disagree with anything that I actually said, then focus on that. If you disagree with my approach (which was not unduly judgemental or offensive at all) then realise that we have a difference of opinion and move on.
    I'm sure some people tuned out immediately when they read my comment, but that doesn't mean most people did. In fact, it got the debate raging...
    Ok again a good point until you start saying that we are all "those bad men on the bridge". This is where I stopped supporting your view in my posts.
    That quote simply summed up what I had been arguing from the very beginning. If you disagree with that quote, you disagree with my whole argument which, by your own admission, you don't. It is absolutely consistent with my first post.
    If you saw a thread where a person was trying to make out that a certain religion was the only right way of doing things, or as SP put it, the only pure way, would you be a bit annoyed at that?
    I did get annoyed once, a year or two ago, when somebody argued that veganism is the moral baseline for anybody who really cares about the situation of animals. That didn't stop it from being true though and looking back, it was better that he did say it rather than holding his tongue for fear of offending someone.
    If you are a moral vegan and you think that challenging people's perceptions in a frank but 'non-preachy' way is a bad thing, then you are the one who has missed something along the way...think about it.
    So you start in a thread, telling people that they are no better than some scum who threw a dog from a bridge, and people who don't agree degenerated the thread?
    Once again I will point out that I did clearly included myself in all areas of animal abuse and animal consumption. I never put myself above criticism. And in case you haven't actually read the posts, I was the one accused of degenerating this thread.
    Like it's because of people saying things such as you did that makes me reluctant to tell people my views as they will immediately associate me with trying to turn them, or thinking they are inferior.

No offence, but both of these things are correctly associated with veganism. Ethical vegans do think that people who eat animal products are morally inferior; I really do hate to put it as starkly as that, but that's simply the way it is. Its never put as plainly as that to people's faces, but that's what ethical vegans fundamentally believe.
    Also, as ethical vegans, we should at least explain the merits of and logic behind veganism instead of shying away from it for fear of what people might think.

I think you are criticising me for not conforming to the standards which exist in your head, not the standards which exist in reality.

I don't want to discuss this further here. A thread about cruelty has turned into a thread more suited for the v&v forum. If you start a thread there, I would be happy to reply. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I agree.How we got from a dog being thrown off a bridge to an argument about vegans is beyond me.

Now time for me to go and have a nice large steak,smothered with onions and mushrooms--nyom,nyom.

^^^Saracsm btw before anyone decides to give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Eh Yes
    I am asking this question because we ourselves kill thousands of animals every year who aren't morally or logically distinguishable from that poor dog (i.e. cows and pigs and chickens etc.) and for pretty trivial reasons, primarily taste and convenience.
    If they had stunned the dog before throwing him or her off the bridge, wouldn't that be fine?
    There is a huge difference between throwing a dog off a bridge for sick pleasure and eating meat!.
    In fact I would be grossly concerned as that behavior is typical of a sociopath. It has been claimed that sociopaths torture and kill animals for their own amusement and kicks before graduating to crimes against people.
    I don't think people (or atleast i'd hope not!!) that work in abbatoirs do it for their own amusement. I imagine for the most part it's a way to earn money and provide sustenance.

People have been eating meat since we have been living in caves. Granted were not killing them with a spear and throwing them on a spit anymore - instead as civilisation has evolved so has the way in which we slaughter. The difference between an abbatoir and throwing a dog from a bridge is that there are practices in place in which to humanely kill the animal - be it by CO2 gassing or by a captive bolt pistol to stun them which frankly I know I would prefer to straight on slaughter!

Granted I will say that I read a book last year which shocked me due to it's insight into what goes on between trasport of livestock to the abbatoirs and in some cases what goes on in there (it was on american abbatoirs) but after that I just took more notice and care of where I bought my meat from. I still wouldn't say that doing something that we have done for thousands of years is as bad or worse than throwing a family pet off a bridge to suffer for no other cause than amusement!

As others have said though this is a topic which can be strongly debated in several different ways but it doesn't hold much relevance to a poor dog having to suffer under sociopaths!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

just an update, the dog passed away last night. RIP

Poor Dog :(
    Scumbags case is in court tomorrow. Lets hope he gets put away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

Where are you guys seeing the info for the court case etc??

I wonder what will happen to the 2 other freaks who were recording it???

Poor little doggy....worst video i ever saw:(

Where are you guys seeing the info for the court case etc??
    Lotsa links in the FB group.
    The scumbag got 8-months in prison.
    Apparantly he asked the judge to be put away as he feared for his life.
    Lotsa people out to get him ..
    No mention of his mates, I guess they didn't commit any crime..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If the scumbag hasn't learned his lesson by now and tries to repeat offend. Hopefully the next dog will be a German Shepperd who will in turn deliver it's own canine justice on the prick.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I am asking this question because we ourselves kill thousands of animals every year who aren't morally or logically distinguishable from that poor dog (i.e. cows and pigs and chickens etc.) and for pretty trivial reasons, primarily taste and convenience.
    If they had stunned the dog before throwing him or her off the bridge, wouldn't that be fine?

At the end of the day, the people who committed this vile act did so for amusement; we kill similar animals for nothing more than taste and convenience.

Your thoughts...
    I completely agree, but there's no point looking for many people who will, because at the end of the day, nobody wants to take responsibility for the torture of animals killed for food, and many don't know what actually happens. But this is the horribly common contradiction that mainly only veg*ns seem to recognise. Unfortunate, but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

when i read stuff like this, i truely realise how cruel and disgusting the human race is. Generalisation maybe, but becoming more popular.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I completely agree, but there's no point looking for many people who will, because at the end of the day, nobody wants to take responsibility for the torture of animals killed for food, and many don't know what actually happens. But this is the horribly common contradiction that mainly only veg*ns seem to recognise. Unfortunate, but true.

You are the first person to actually agree with me.

The difference between how we claim to treat animals and how we actually do treat them is enormous.
    I don't think its unreasonable to say that we have all put a large number of 'food' animals through more pain and suffering than those who threw that dog off the bridge. Our motives are quite clearly different, but in practice, the animal suffers the same, if not more so, at our hands. That's the truth.

Don't mean to preach to the choir Censorsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I also wish people would not say "animal abuse for entertainment is wrong" but "killing animals for food isn't wrong". Both are unnecessary. There's hundreds of healthy vegetarians and vegans, so in this day and age there is no point in making excuses that killing 'food' animals is necessary.

But I guess this isn't really the place to bring it up is it :confused::(

Also, it would be great if people stoped lying to themselves that the meat industry is humane. Research needs to be done on more people's behalves. And I don't buy the 'tradition' aspect either. It's cruel, full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i'm not sure if it has been pointed out in here already - but apparantly the dog in question had been killing chickens at the mans mothers - so although i still think it was bang out of order what he did - rember if this was in Ireland and he was a farmer he would be in his rights to shoot the dog - which may or may not have killed him outright

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1228987/Svajuna-Beniuk-The-man-threw-dog-bridge-posted-video-online-brought-justice-horrified-Internet-users.html

anyway i hope the guy gets sent down for a while and the dog gets better and looked after for the rest of his days

also goes to show the power of the online community in tracking these people down
    The video is so shocking that most websites have barred its full content.

But the cruel clip quickly circulated in Lithuanian where the footage was shot causing mounting outrage.

It was then passed on to other countries and began to gather pace as more and more users around the world expressed their fury.

There then began an angry search among horrified animal lovers for the culprit.

Working with the authorities, they soon realised that the dog was dropped from a bridge in the Vilkija district in Kaunas, the second largest city in Lithuania.

Local police then worked with users of a local website to identify the man as Beniukas, who - on learning of the hunt online - turned himself in to police.

Advertisement