Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eyefinity - holy crap!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

have you being living underground for the past 6 months?

I think it's a wee bit of a gimmick myself (at least for gamers, it has tons of other applications I know). The black plastic between screens would get really annoying for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

have you being living underground for the past 6 months?

I think it's a wee bit of a gimmick myself (at least for gamers, it has tons of other applications I know). The black plastic between screens would get really annoying for me.

You can remove the lcds from their housing, the actual distance between 2 panels could be down to 6 or 7 mil. I have tons here in work I could do this with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

You can remove the lcds from their housing, the actual distance between 2 panels could be down to 6 or 7 mil. I have tons here in work I could do this with.

A line dividing a screen is still a line dividing a screen imo. A 1mm gap would annoy me almost as much as a 1cm gap. Maybe I'm just a hell of a lot fussier than others...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A line dividing a screen is still a line dividing a screen imo. A 1mm gap would annoy me almost as much as a 1cm gap. Maybe I'm just a hell of a lot fussier than others...

I think so. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It wouldnt appeal to me even though I use dual monitors, Windows 7 handles them fine anyway. I think you really only start to see the benefit from 3 or even 4 monitors and up! Gaming across multiple screens is just a gimmick imo. The only time its good is if say you are playing an FPS/RTS and have the main action on one screen and maybe a map on the other (Supreme Commander is a good example of this). For this you wouldnt even need eyefinity as it would be built into the game anyway. To sum up eyefinity is really just for a niche market of users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

IIRC you can get custom made malarky to get rid of those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

You only think the line would do your head in,

But trust me it doesn't . When it comes to Sround gaming, You play with your main monitor in the mid like normal but you have another 2 monitors 1 on each side, That you glance at.

After about 2 mins you dont see anything, Because your part of the game.

You used to have to get TH2Go but now there is no need.

Eyefinity is still new however. I would wait till it supported Crossfire and when they get bezel management sorted out.

Put it this way, Its a step in the right direction.

PS:: ATI are getting Eyefinity Monitors made,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Yeah i would think the same too.

I've got no experience with more than one monitor but i'd say it'd just be like everything else. You get used to it!

The only thing is that for the price of 3, 22" monitors you could get a really nice 32" or 37" or even 42"! So which to get is the question

Effluo wrote: »
    Yeah i would think the same too.

I've got no experience with more than one monitor but i'd say it'd just be like everything else. You get used to it!

The only thing is that for the price of 3, 22" monitors you could get a really nice 32" or 37" or even 42"! So which to get is the question

3 22" monitors. :D

More width is better than hight, as human vision is wider than it is tall anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    3 22" monitors. :D

What's wrong with 3 of them!!! :p

Oh i meant 3 22" full hd monitors!

• Advertisement

You want 3 x 1920x1200 Res Monitors, be it 22" or 24" being the sweet spot, But 24" monitors are not cheap.

What would really be the dogs bejigles!! Would be 3x24" Monitors at 120Mhz :D

But you can get 3x22" monitors not for 380 euro all in. 22" monitors are super cheap.

And once ATI release the Eyefinity monitor that will drive prices down even more.

I say this time next year every gamer will be SROUND gaming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Eyefinity needs 1 screen that has a Display Port connector, if you only have DVI then you need an expensive active converter( currently Dell one for laptops works but its costs 120-130euro ).

Ive a 3 monitor setup( had an old 19" in the office and bought another cheap ), 1x22" and 2x19" and you can use SoftTH to run in tripple screen, this is my setup playing Grid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp0-pbijjM

If can pickup a cheap 22" display port screen ill use my 5850 and eyefinity, but ATI also said they'll try and partner with a company for cheap active display port->DVI adapters.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Eyefinity needs 1 screen that has a Display Port connector, if you only have DVI then you need an expensive active converter( currently Dell one for laptops works but its costs 120-130euro ).

Ive a 3 monitor setup( had an old 19" in the office and bought another cheap ), 1x22" and 2x19" and you can use SoftTH to run in tripple screen, this is my setup playing Grid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp0-pbijjM

If can pickup a cheap 22" display port screen ill use my 5850 and eyefinity, but ATI also said they'll try and partner with a company for cheap active display port->DVI adapters.

They are going one step forward. They have partnered with a company to make ATI Eyefinity monitors!.

Also if you think about it, The active Displayport adopter is cheap enough, I mean you had to buy the TH2Go box before and thats 300 Euro.

We are on the right track.

Blazher wrote: »
    They are going one step forward. They have partnered with a company to make ATI Eyefinity monitors!.

Also if you think about it, The active Displayport adopter is cheap enough, I mean you had to buy the TH2Go box before and thats 300 Euro.

We are on the right track.
    Ahh i know they've partnered with Samsung, but i dont want to have to buy a new screen( especially as the DP ones are still expensive compared to DVI ones ), the active adapter partnership or potential partnership was only mooted by one of their guys on the widescreen forum, that would be a cheaper option for me :)

Ahh i know they've partnered with Samsung, but i dont want to have to buy a new screen( especially as the DP ones are still expensive compared to DVI ones ), the active adapter partnership or potential partnership was only mooted by one of their guys on the widescreen forum, that would be a cheaper option for me :)

Indeed Mate,

It was said just after release, As alot of people where not happy with the fact they had to go and buy the active adapter,

There is lots of info on the web, But here is some basic info and a good place for all WSG

FYI :: You will be seen alot more Displayport over the next coming years, Its going to be the next standard, imho it should have been years ago.

Indeed Mate,

It was said just after release, As alot of people where not happy with the fact they had to go and buy the active adapter,

There is lots of info on the web, But here is some basic info and a good place for all WSG

FYI :: You will be seen alot more Displayport over the next coming years, Its going to be the next standard, imho it should have been years ago.
    Ahh yeah, display port is the next big thing, still way too much to fork out on 3 screens :), i dunno theres the cheap messy apple solution or biting the bullet and getting a 22" dell for 210euro, but thats only 1680x1050, id want to go higher but larger screens wouldnt work with my cheapy 19" side screens. Also another 22" would leave me just 1 22" short of having 3 22" screens. lol, its a feckin dilemma.

For the moment softth is ok, ill see if those adapters come down in price, worst case cheapy scenario ill flog my samsung 226bw for a dell.

Yeah i read the WSG forum regularly as its handy for FOV hacks etc. for use with softTH

Ahh yeah, display port is the next big thing, still way too much to fork out on 3 screens :)

Huh? You only need 1 Displayport screen. The other two can be bog standard DVI

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Huh? You only need 1 Displayport screen. The other two can be bog standard DVI

Yes, You can use the 2 standard DVI, But the one of them monitors has to be Displayport. When you really think about it, Its not that much for what you get,

But i am going to wait a little bit, On till they release the drivers to support crossfire and they work on the bezel management :D

I'm gonna have to wait until two 5850 doesn't need a 2nd mortgage ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I don't see why you wouldn't just get 32" hd tv for around €450 , 1920x1080 with lots of AA is just fine for this size, plus you can watch movies on it.

• Advertisement

They don't now. I say in 3-6 months they will drop in price. Once GTX3xx starts hitting.

But a 5850 Vapor would be great, I cant see it happening tho as i said in a early post. They wouldn't sell any 5870s then

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I don't see why you wouldn't just get 32" hd tv for around €450 , 1920x1080 with lots of AA is just fine for this size, plus you can watch movies on it.

Its not about Size so to speak its about width.

Eg... 3x22 Monitors give you the screen size of 66" if you run each monitor at 1650x1080x3 = 4950x3240 of game play screen.

But the sweet spot is 3x24" monitors running 1920x1200x3= 5760x3600 of GAME PLAY :D

So lets say you have a 30" Dell with 2560x1600 resolution. Yes its a big screen, But the 3x24" Monitors that cost less gives you nearly two times the Game Play Space!

Do you understand>?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

fair enough, I suppose you'd have to actually see it working to pass judgement on it, I just don't think I could get over the bezels, can't say for sure though

I use 2 monitors already, so the bezels aint a problem for me :D

CrinkElite wrote: »
    fair enough, I suppose you'd have to actually see it working to pass judgement on it, I just don't think I could get over the bezels, can't say for sure though

Well. There is a few key factors to take in to account. TH2GO use software program for Bezel Management. So its like the screens are one and there are no Bezels so to speak from the screen side of things. But in the real world, They are still there.

But to be honest Mate after 2 mins you don't even see them there. You play on your normal screen in the mid but glance at the side screens like having peripheral vision in the real world.

But to be honest Mate after 2 mins you don't even see them there. You play on your normal screen in the mid but glance at the side screens like having peripheral vision in the real world.
    exactly, your really only using 1 screen as before but you can spot things on your peripheral vision e.g. cars pulling up on the side in grid or enemys in CoD.

The main difference between a 3 screen setup and a big 32" is because the vertical resoltion stays the same but the width is increased, youre field of vision dramatically increases, if you apply the same FOV on a 32" everything will be squashed.

Its really immersive, but you have to play using a 3 screen setup to realize that the bevels are not noticable( they are if you look directly at the side screens of course )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Its not about Size so to speak its about width.

Eg... 3x22 Monitors give you the screen size of 66" if you run each monitor at 1650x1080x3 = 4950x3240 of game play screen.

But the sweet spot is 3x24" monitors running 1920x1200x3= 5760x3600 of GAME PLAY :D

So lets say you have a 30" Dell with 2560x1600 resolution. Yes its a big screen, But the 3x24" Monitors that cost less gives you nearly two times the Game Play Space!

Do you understand>?

You've got your maths wrong there. If you have three 24" monitors your total resolution is 5760x1200. Your set up will be just as high as one 24" monitor but 3 times as wide.

You've got your maths wrong there. If you have three 24" monitors your total resolution is 5760x1200. Your set up will be just as high as one 24" monitor but 3 times as wide.

Ya. I only seen that after i posted it lol!!

Kinda got in a zone when i was trying to explain and lost myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Ok, so I finally had a go at the eyefinity and its pretty much as I expected it to be, the broken space is a pain in the ass (altho yes it does become less noticeable as you get into your game). If you do want to go down that path Id suggest you focus on getting monitors which were made specifically for this (minuscule boarders). Also if your trying to play on a 5870 CF or single 5970 Id say you would be best to go with perhaps the smaller 24 inch models, which would allow you play at native res maxed out.

3 x Apple 30 inches, 2 inches of boarder crap both sides, altho I did try angle them a bit to hide some of the outside monitors boarders. It ran quite well I must say @7860x1600, it does seem these cards work harder the more you throw at them. Altho to get Crysis smooth you need to drop to 'gamer' settings. Other titles like WoW and Hawx etc actually ran perfectly without compromise.

It was fun to point, but more just the novelty of it. It was an awkward setup and actually having to turn your head to see **** is annoying, so apart from having the tilted peripheral effect, to actually play this setup as standard would eventually result in a neck injury! To combat this, you could try sorting out the distance between you and your monitors but all I keep thinking is - this is just too much trouble for what it does. If you want to sit back and enjoy large screen, Im still gonna opt for a big tv or a projector.

I just got a new 23inch monitor the other day to give my rig before last a display and I couldnt resist this ->

DaddybabysamsungC.jpg
    (Mother & child are doing well...)

• Advertisement

swirlser wrote: »
    It was fun to point, but more just the novelty of it. It was an awkward setup and actually having to turn your head to see **** is annoying, so apart from having the tilted peripheral effect, to actually play this setup as standard would eventually result in a neck injury! To combat this, you could try sorting out the distance between you and your monitors but all I keep thinking is - this is just too much trouble for what it does.
    youre not supposed to tilt your head to the peripheral screens, e.g. if playing CoD4 tilting your head to see a guy is pointless as he must be on the centre screen for you to shoot him, you can see him out of the corner of your eye and turn your character to bring him to the centre screen.
    The ideal setup for 3 screens is having your regular PC setup and plonking a screen either side of your main screen.

Advertisement